Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

A Step sequencer that can step through the sequence with triggers ???

Hi,
Hi am looking for a step sequencer (something like Midistep) where i can step through a sequence using a trigger (a midi note for example). I think the SH101 is supposed to do something like that.
Anything that can do that ? If not i guess im gonna have to build it myself with Lemur.

Thanks for any info.

Comments

  • I'm very interested if this is possible too. I would like to step through a bassline with a foot pedal, while playing guitar, with a live band.

    With something like that a drummer could play a bass sequence with a trigger, without having to play a keyboard.

    Recovering from errors would be something that would take some headscratching. Ideally, and this is probably something that would have to be tailor made for this idea, is a reset button, or one to jump forward or back, to the note at the start of the closest measure, for when (not if!) you get off on the triggering, so you don't have to figure out in the moment, if you are a step early or a step late.

  • edited April 2016

    There was this Lemur creation, made by @rad3d

    https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/11709/lemur-template-chordmonkey/p1

    I'm going to try it out!

  • I do want to add this to midiSTEPs, but it's on a long list of things I'd like to add, so can't promise when it will happen. I've had other requests for it and agree it's a super useful feature in a 101 style sequencer. Part of the problem is probably that I want to add more than just basic step advance per incoming note, so I've been waiting to add that simpler feature until I have a good feel for how to eventually add the more interesting parts. The other problem is just having a lot of things I want to add to the app and only so much time.

    If you find an app that does it now, definitely go with that and don't wait for midiSTEPs to catch up. Bird in the hand is the way to go when dealing with music apps.

  • @Processaurus said:
    There was this Lemur creation, made by @rad3d

    https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/11709/lemur-template-chordmonkey/p1

    I'm going to try it out!

    Interested in your thoughts. Still in beta, and I know I've advanced my current version a little bit beyond what's posted, so let me know if you run into anything. Also takes a little setup before you're up and running. I haven't received any feedback on the template yet, so interested in hearing anything, good or bad.

    Recovering from errors is something that was thought of here. You have 8 progressions of 8 steps (single notes or chords) per preset, but each progression can also be set to reset any other sequences back to their first step. There is also a global reset that does all notes off and resets all progressions back to their first step.

    You can also setup any step to trigger up to 16 note riffs, giving you the ability to fit multiple notes with each trigger if you're somewhat in sync with tempo.

  • @rad3d said:

    @Processaurus said:
    There was this Lemur creation, made by @rad3d

    https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/11709/lemur-template-chordmonkey/p1

    I'm going to try it out!

    Interested in your thoughts. Still in beta, and I know I've advanced my current version a little bit beyond what's posted, so let me know if you run into anything. Also takes a little setup before you're up and running. I haven't received any feedback on the template yet, so interested in hearing anything, good or bad.

    Recovering from errors is something that was thought of here. You have 8 progressions of 8 steps (single notes or chords) per preset, but each progression can also be set to reset any other sequences back to their first step. There is also a global reset that does all notes off and resets all progressions back to their first step.

    You can also setup any step to trigger up to 16 note riffs, giving you the ability to fit multiple notes with each trigger if you're somewhat in sync with tempo.

    What?? That looks amazing! Is there a video of this in action? I don't own Lemur but this might push me over the edge.

  • @syrupcore said:
    What?? That looks amazing! Is there a video of this in action? I don't own Lemur but this might push me over the edge.

    Sorry, no video yet. I actually didn't start into this project intending to write so much of an app-like template, but started finding Lemur capable of more and more functionality as I got into it. Now, there's so much stuff it really needs a video. For now, the best I can offer is this documentation:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/314mz16v3w5bqq3/ChordMonkeyManual.pdf?dl=0

    Biggest caveat to this template is that it's somewhat resource heavy. I found that it does want quite a bit of RAM. Part of that appears to be Lemur itself, though a big part also has to do with allocations required for storing the 48 presets. Allocating chord and device preset info is done within the template, meaning it's allocated even if you only use a small portion of the app. And even when you save presets in the template, you still have to manually save the template each time to finalize saving any changes you made. Lemur has no built in drive access for external presets (though I have devised a way to do it for myself).

    Essentially, I found it hogged a bit more resources than I wanted to be stable with some of the other apps I was running on my iPad mini 2. When I upgraded to the mini 4 with 2 gb of RAM, though, I found that everything was fine. Important to be aware, though, if the plan is to use in a live situation.

    At this point, I'd hate to see anyone drop full price on Lemur just for this, as it may be overkill. There are also a few buggy issues with the Monoriff (one shot step sequencer) functionality I want to fix.

    So, proceed at your own risk, but I am using it successfully now as part of my live setup.

  • I just had my kaosspad back to life with lemur(touchpad fucked namely), and my ipad2 to have a place in my setup. And I just scratched the surface. I tried to use a downloaded set but had some problems with routing but it involved lots of good stuff like sequencing and other goodies. Lemur routing isn't the easiest thing out there but I really think it is definitely a worth, future proof buy(if you like to build things)

  • Thanks you both.

  • Sequencers are the core tool of MIDI composition so I'll add my find (for Lemur users) that had already existed at the birth of this thread but apparently no-one of us stumbled upon it.
    https://liine.net/en/community/user-library/view/441/

    TapSeq is a weird sequencer. Instead of being a typical sequencer, running on a clock, it's a way to sequence a pre-defined melody and then play it by manually taping the "left","right", and Repeat buttons

    The functionality was the idea of Carlos Villafane, the template was realized with a collab between Carlos and Softcore

    Features:

    • 16 steps sequencer advancing the steps in normal or right-to-left direction with tapping
    • options to transpose sequence by notes or by octave
    • legato mode
    • **tap buttons (left, right, repeat) mappable to external midi messages **
    • user selectable midi out Lemur target and channel
    • randomize options for octaves (with range), note values (within a pre-selected scale/range of notes), velocity
    • help screen built-in
    • settings page built in
    • presets system

  • @rs2000 said:
    Sequencers are the core tool of MIDI composition so I'll add my find (for Lemur users) that had already existed at the birth of this thread but apparently no-one of us stumbled upon it.
    https://liine.net/en/community/user-library/view/441/

    TapSeq is a weird sequencer. Instead of being a typical sequencer, running on a clock, it's a way to sequence a pre-defined melody and then play it by manually taping the "left","right", and Repeat buttons

    The functionality was the idea of Carlos Villafane, the template was realized with a collab between Carlos and Softcore

    Features:

    • 16 steps sequencer advancing the steps in normal or right-to-left direction with tapping
    • options to transpose sequence by notes or by octave
    • legato mode
    • **tap buttons (left, right, repeat) mappable to external midi messages **
    • user selectable midi out Lemur target and channel
    • randomize options for octaves (with range), note values (within a pre-selected scale/range of notes), velocity
    • help screen built-in
    • settings page built in
    • presets system

    Nice! I own Lemur but haven't had it installed in years. Does it still work on iOS 13?

  • i love this concept of a trigger stepping step sequencer. i’m excited to see if anybody has any other option beside lemur

  • @rs2000 said:
    Sequencers are the core tool of MIDI composition so I'll add my find (for Lemur users) that had already existed at the birth of this thread but apparently no-one of us stumbled upon it.
    https://liine.net/en/community/user-library/view/441/

    TapSeq is a weird sequencer. Instead of being a typical sequencer, running on a clock, it's a way to sequence a pre-defined melody and then play it by manually taping the "left","right", and Repeat buttons

    The functionality was the idea of Carlos Villafane, the template was realized with a collab between Carlos and Softcore

    Features:

    • 16 steps sequencer advancing the steps in normal or right-to-left direction with tapping
    • options to transpose sequence by notes or by octave
    • legato mode
    • **tap buttons (left, right, repeat) mappable to external midi messages **
    • user selectable midi out Lemur target and channel
    • randomize options for octaves (with range), note values (within a pre-selected scale/range of notes), velocity
    • help screen built-in
    • settings page built in
    • presets system

    this is cool but I can’t get lemur to recognize outside midi. could be cool, if i could send midi into lemur

  • @brambos said:
    Nice! I own Lemur but haven't had it installed in years. Does it still work on iOS 13?

    Good question. The app seems to start and run well on latest iOS13 on iPhone but my two iPads stay on iOS12 for the time being.

  • I think I miss the question here, but isn't it how most of rozeta seqs can run if "auto play" turned off? Seq will advance on incoming midi note.

  • @eross said:
    i love this concept of a trigger stepping step sequencer. i’m excited to see if anybody has any other option beside lemur

    Quantum Sequencer can have its tempo set to "Note In" and advance steps with incoming notes. It's a global setting.

    Senode is one of the most flexible options. Any emitter can be set to advance with a note, so you can have multiple sequences all responding to different notes and create cool polyrhythmic / polymetric tracks.

    This is a thing I did a while ago using the cool polyrhythmic "metronome" sonogrid driving multiple emitters in Senode:

  • @0tolerance4silence said:
    I think I miss the question here, but isn't it how most of rozeta seqs can run if "auto play" turned off? Seq will advance on incoming midi note.

    Yeah.

    It's been a while but I was using my kick drum to advance steps with Rozeta.

  • StepPolyArp and Thesys, both AUv3, have a triggered step mode.

  • @BroCoast said:

    @0tolerance4silence said:
    I think I miss the question here, but isn't it how most of rozeta seqs can run if "auto play" turned off? Seq will advance on incoming midi note.

    Yeah.

    It's been a while but I was using my kick drum to advance steps with Rozeta.

    It's not quite the same thing.

    With Rozeta in MIDI TRIG mode, the note acts sort of like a "mute" for the MIDI data, toggling it on and off. The sequencer is running according to the host tempo and continues to run even it isn't outputting data. The note just opens up the stream.

    With the others, the note only advances to the next step. Pressing and holding a note doesn't do anything but get you to the next step. You need another note to get to the step after and so on.

  • Infinity sequencer for Mozaic can do this (my first Mozaic script!)

  • @aplourde said:
    This is a thing I did a while ago using the cool polyrhythmic "metronome" sonogrid driving multiple emitters in Senode:

    Brilliant idea.

  • @aplourde said:

    @eross said:
    i love this concept of a trigger stepping step sequencer. i’m excited to see if anybody has any other option beside lemur

    Quantum Sequencer can have its tempo set to "Note In" and advance steps with incoming notes. It's a global setting.

    Senode is one of the most flexible options. Any emitter can be set to advance with a note, so you can have multiple sequences all responding to different notes and create cool polyrhythmic / polymetric tracks.

    This is a thing I did a while ago using the cool polyrhythmic "metronome" sonogrid driving multiple emitters in Senode:

    Senode is great for this use case; I hope the plans to port to AUv3 are going well!

    Quantum could be the really really useful tool in this because you can play sequences without worrying about the transport and/or sync to BPM quanta. But until it supports state saving, it's pretty inefficient.

  • @mojozart said:
    StepPolyArp and Thesys, both AUv3, have a triggered step mode.

    Well, I need to go back and read the StepPolyArp manual because I definitely missed that! I’ve often had the feeling that I’m only scratching the surface of what it can do....

  • @aplourde said:

    @mojozart said:
    StepPolyArp and Thesys, both AUv3, have a triggered step mode.

    Well, I need to go back and read the StepPolyArp manual because I definitely missed that! I’ve often had the feeling that I’m only scratching the surface of what it can do....

    they do?

  • @eross said:

    @aplourde said:

    @mojozart said:
    StepPolyArp and Thesys, both AUv3, have a triggered step mode.

    Well, I need to go back and read the StepPolyArp manual because I definitely missed that! I’ve often had the feeling that I’m only scratching the surface of what it can do....

    they do?

    So, I skimmed the SPAU manual and I didn't see a way to do this... @mojozart are we talking about the same thing (Send the note, play step 1; send the note, play step 2; etc.)? Any tips on how to achieve this?

    On the plus side I finally learned that there is MIDI control of parameters. All this time I've been lamenting the fact that there are no AU parameters exposed, but didn't realize there was baked-in MIDI control! This is going to be fun....

  • edited February 7

    @aplourde ah, sorry for misleading you. I was assuming that arp was essentially a triggered mode, but no. There is one thing SPAU can't do!

    Neat demo with senode. Thanks. I think Aphelian Arp might work well as a receiver, too.

  • @sovietpop said:
    Hi,
    Hi am looking for a step sequencer (something like Midistep) where i can step through a sequence using a trigger (a midi note for example). I think the SH101 is supposed to do something like that.
    Anything that can do that ? If not i guess im gonna have to build it myself with Lemur.

    Thanks for any info.

    Thesys? if I understand correctly...

    Wish SB would update this gem..

  • this is cool but I can’t get lemur to recognize outside midi. could be cool, if i could send midi into lemur

    I got midi into lemur with the settings tab. I also figured out the midi mapping but it’s very buggy. There’s no mapping for the start/reset button.

  • @mojozart said:
    @aplourde ah, sorry for misleading you. I was assuming that arp was essentially a triggered mode, but no. There is one thing SPAU can't do!

    Neat demo with senode. Thanks. I think Aphelian Arp might work well as a receiver, too.

    yeah i think i’m gonna give senode a try
    thanks

  • @mojozart said:
    @aplourde ah, sorry for misleading you. I was assuming that arp was essentially a triggered mode, but no. There is one thing SPAU can't do!

    Neat demo with senode. Thanks. I think Aphelian Arp might work well as a receiver, too.

    Not to worry, I was wondering if I missed something!

    As mentioned, finally reading the manual to the end I learned about the real-time MIDI control, so I’m happy about that! (Although I’m not crazy about the ordering of the Arpeggiator Speed control, I wish it was in order from longest to shortest so you could logically switch between Speeds...)

  • @burns_audio said:
    Infinity sequencer for Mozaic can do this (my first Mozaic script!)

    This is a really handy script! You think you will come back to it at some point? In addition to your idea of unquantizing notes, it would be cool to have an option where you could set a specific note to step through the sequence and pressing any other note resets the sequence to the first note. If I find any time in my nutso schedule I will try meself!

Sign In or Register to comment.