Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Reclaim storage on your iPhone or iPad using this WEIRD TRICK

Mwhaha, Buzzfeed, you taught me well!

Seriously though, this actually works.

If you're running low on storage on your iDevice, try to download a movie multiple times from iTunes that is bigger than the remaining space left on it.

I only had 200 megabytes left on my 16GB iPad Air 2 that I use for testing and I downloaded Dredd 3D (I already own that one) from iTunes. The movie file is a few Gigabytes, which means iTunes tells you that you cannot download it, after trying in vain to do so.

After the first try I had 600 megabytes of free space.
After the second one it was 700 megabytes.
The third try freed up another 10 megs for a total of 710 megabtes of free storage.

If you don't own any movies on iTunes, you can just try to download/rent a movie which is super big (say Lord of the Rings) and according to the original poster on reddit you will not be charged for it, but the storage is freed up anyway.

Looks like iOS needs a little manual bump like this now and then to actually delete files that aren't necessary anymore.

Comments

• I'd take care that it doesn't remove any presets from synths etc. at the same time.

• edited April 2016

Lol, stop the fearmongering ;D

It only deletes files that are already scheduled for deletion but haven't yet been deleted completely.

• @Sebastian said:

It only deletes files that are already scheduled for deletion but haven't yet been deleted completely.

if you do the procedure several times, it actually will delete files that you don't want deleted. For example, in some sketching apps (paper, taysui) you will be seeing galleries with blank sheets instead of pictures. Of course, these can be recreated by the app as they are only preview pics of the actual images.
    But still, it means the clean up procedure will actually touch things that are not intended for deletion.

• edited April 2016

@nick said:

@Sebastian said:

if you do the procedure several times, it actually will delete files that you don't want deleted. For example, in some sketching apps (paper, taysui) you will be seeing galleries with blank sheets instead of pictures. Of course, these can be recreated by the app as they are only preview pics of the actual images.
    But still, it means the clean up procedure will actually touch things that are not intended for deletion.

Yeah, I guess it deletes cache files that are not necessary for an app to function but helpful by saving a few seconds in the case of previews. But that's not a destructive action that cannot be undone like actually deleting presets or other files.

• edited April 2016

You’re also supposed to present the clickbait headline as a list, for example:

“Seven ways to reclaim storage on your iPhone or iPad using this WEIRD TRICK”.

Or in this case:

"One ways to reclaim storage on your iPhone or iPad using this WEIRD TRICK”

…unless you can re-word the same thing a few times over and over again to generate a few more “ways”.

Also, insert “ used by successful people ” somewhere in the headline.

• @Sebastian said:

almost. It's

...using this ^one WEIRD TRICK

:)

• Shame on me. You're absolutely right. My buzzfeed-fu is weak.

• You're a little late to the party (good intentions applauded)

This has been 'news' around here about a week ago

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/12944/great-tip-for-getting-storage-back#latest

• :)
    Or it could be in the irritating "believe" iteration

"You won't BELIEVE how much storage space you'll claim back after using this WEIRD TRICK...."

• @Sebastian said:

@nick said:

@Sebastian said:

Yeah, I guess it deletes cache files that are not necessary for an app to function but helpful by saving a few seconds in the case of previews. But that's not a destructive action that cannot be undone like actually deleting presets or other files.

no, it is not destructive but it did give me a moment of shock the first time I used the WEIRD TRICK when one of those apps did not recreate its thumbnails automatically and just presented a screen full of blanks.

• edited April 2016

@supadom said:
    You're a little late to the party (good intentions applauded)

This has been 'news' around here about a week ago

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/12944/great-tip-for-getting-storage-back#latest

Yes, of course you guys were faster than me. grumble
    (Sorry, I didn't see that thread last week.)

• I personally wouldnt do that. I got my fair share of files deleted by iOS a couple of times. It always puts data like synth presets etc at risk. Better delete some of the big apps then.

• @Sebastian said:

Seriously though, this actually works.

If you're running low on storage on your iDevice, try to download a movie multiple times from iTunes that is bigger than the remaining space left on it.

I only had 200 megabytes left on my 16GB iPad Air 2 that I use for testing and I downloaded Dredd 3D (I already own that one) from iTunes. The movie file is a few Gigabytes, which means iTunes tells you that you cannot download it, after trying in vain to do so.

After the first try I had 600 megabytes of free space.
    After the second one it was 700 megabytes.
    The third try freed up another 10 megs for a total of 710 megabtes of free storage.

If you don't own any movies on iTunes, you can just try to download/rent a movie which is super big (say Lord of the Rings) and according to the original poster on reddit you will not be charged for it, but the storage is freed up anyway.

Looks like iOS needs a little manual bump like this now and then to actually delete files that aren't necessary anymore.

Sebastian to @RustiK (MARCH 26)

@Rustik Please, I asked you before not to create these threads.

Of course they''ll get views and there's going to be a huge discussion but this forum is not Buzzfeed and it's not Facebook.

March 26 Comment from Sebastian to Rustik

So I see your view on Buzzfeed has changed. Cool. Good to know.

• Well, I didn't think I was fearmongering, but rather offering a word of caution based upon the previous experience people had had :smile:

• @RustiK said:

So I see your view on Buzzfeed has changed. Cool. Good to know.

My comment was mainly about you making these threads over and over again and not as a joke but in a serious manner to instigate some sort of fake outrage. Which you continue to do by the way with your thread about Sampletank ("Has SAMPLETANK become obsolete in your repertoire?").

I mean what's the point of that thread, really? So you don't use Sampletank anymore. Why do you have to tell everyone about how it is 'obsolete' and thus try to make Sampletank look bad (which it isn't).

Stop with the fake drama.