Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Audio interface latency problems?

Comments

• Ah. Good news @j_liljedahl ! :smiley: Sorta...

• I installed the 9.3 update.
    I'm using a Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 and a iPad Air 2 + Cubasis / Auria Pro / AUM / almost all audio apps there are.
    The problem persists!!

The only diference now is, it works better without lots of latency in 96khz sample rates. But in Cubasis is where it doesn't work well or don't work at all.

Anyway. The problem is not solved.
    At least in my side.

• @Metallion said:
    I installed the 9.3 update.
    I'm using a Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 and a iPad Air 2 + Cubasis / Auria Pro / AUM / almost all audio apps there are.
    The problem persists!!

The only diference now is, it works better without lots of latency in 96khz sample rates. But in Cubasis is where it doesn't work well or don't work at all.

At least in my side.

Interesting, so you're getting more latency in 44.1kHz? For me it's the other way around. Scarlett 6i6 here.

• @Metallion said:
    I installed the 9.3 update.
    The problem persists!!

At least in my side.

That sucks! thanks Apple......

• Im not the right person to discuss this subject but tecnically, it should give us less latency in higher sample rates. So, in that matter it's whats happening here.
    But the problem of inconsistency is here.. And i am really tired of waiting for the definitive solution. Either by the Focusrite or Apple part.

• No latency issues on iPhone 6s iOS 9.3

Recording and looping live works great in Audiobus and Loopy HD, including effects running thru ToneStack. Such a strange issue how it seems to affect some devices but not others.

• @Hmtx said:
    No latency issues on iPhone 6s iOS 9.3

Recording and looping live works great in Audiobus and Loopy HD, including effects running thru ToneStack. Such a strange issue how it seems to affect some devices but not others.

What Audio Interface are you using?

• sorry, i knew I was forgetting something, my hardware:

Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 >> powered USB Hub >> Apple lightning to USB adapter

• I just tried Apogee One>powered camera adapter>iPhone 6 playing guitar into Loopy through JamUp with AB and AUM. It worked for a while but then it went all crazy with the only way to get the interface to power up again being to plug it into the computer. After that things worked again but same crazy mess occurred again after 15 minutes or so. Will have to investigate this further.

• I tried a similar setup with iPad mini 4. Here the One will only work with its DC power socket connected to another USB psu. A powered hub should work too, I guess. So the iPad draws too much power for the One to operate with only the powered camera adapter. And the glitchy mess happens here too. This time I tried plugging headphones into the iPad which temporarily fixed it for about 10 minutes. Then it happened again. So for this setup iOS 9.3 is not the solution :-1:

• Man this really is a bummer. All these people having audio problems and Apple isn't doing anything. Makes me angry and makes want to sell my Ipad. Haven't been able to use my Ipad for what I bought it for 6 months ago. Waste of time, money and energy.

• I am with sitarman and many others. 9.3.1 doesn't solve these problems! It's really incredible!!!

• edited April 2016

After some more testing I found the problem seems to be mainly in Loopy HD: with LINK disabled it doesn't happen anymore. There are only occasional tiny little glitches now but the huge 1 sec lag disappeared. Hmm, @Michael, I think there's a bug to squish here. And another one is that my newly upgraded blueboard doesn't work as expected with midi notes in Loopy HD. All 4 switches seem to arrive at C-1 while in other apps they play C-D-E-F. No joy through MidiFlow either, unfortunately. Kind of off topic here but since this is another Loopy problem I might as well mention it. I hope it can get fixed soon!

• Cheers for the info @Munibeast! To clarify: so it's only in Loopy with Link enabled that you get the 1s lag, now?

• @Michael said:
    Cheers for the info @Munibeast! To clarify: so it's only in Loopy with Link enabled that you get the 1s lag, now?

I may have to do more testing but so far: Yes. And it's gone when LINK is off.

• Im sorry to ask/say but.. I thought this audio latency problem had nothing to do with an app. I don't even have Loopy. At least i have audio latency, and glitches in every audio app i have. Even iOS 9.3.1.

• @Metallion said:
    Im sorry to ask/say but.. I thought this audio latency problem had nothing to do with an app. I don't even have Loopy. At least i have audio latency, and glitches in every audio app i have. Even iOS 9.3.1.

Just in case: Did you try different USB cables? Because I had glitchy performance with my ica4+ on the mac and found the problem was actually solved when I used a better and shorter cable. May be worth checking.

• I can check it, but this problem i have is a known problem by apple and focusrite since 9.1 until now. And the problem sometimes don't occur. The Focusrite Scarlett goes berserk if i change sample rate in cubasis for example... Whoever, sometimes the app AUM works pretty stable for example.

• I am having exactly the same problem with iOS 9.3.1 and scarlet 6i6. Latency on first time of loading an audio app is nearly O but on second load it goes on 1 sec. In Animoog the problem eliminates while you choose 96Khz sample rate. It's not apple problem it's clearly focus rite and apple problem. There are plenty of other interfaces that has not that issues but as we trust focusright we keep trying to find solution on that. Unfortunately till now that interface is completely useless and unstable. Even if you use it as iTunes playback or keyboard click sound out it still has 1 sec latency. I think that focus right should solve that as soonest as possible

• @dvarnav if you plug some headphones into the iPad headphone socket and then unplug them again it should reset the audio system and fix the latency problem. Works for me on 9.3.1 and a Scarlett 2i4.

• Richardyot it seems that It works fine and I check it again and again By set and remove the headphone plug. On the other hand I discovered that when the latency issue starts then all the system audio passed to the scarlet interface which means that I hear through the my speakers the clicks and system sounds. If I reset audio with the headphone trick then that system sounds disapears from scarlet-speakers configuration and the audio latency for the synth usage just zeroes. So I beleive that maybe that's the whole problem but even with that tip we can work your....

• **Breaking news ** updating with the latest ios9.3.2 the latency issue solved eventually... Also solved the garage band audio problems with both iOS and garage band latest update

• Oh! Awesome! Well, I'll believe it when I see it ;-)

• It works fine

• Tried the update quickly this morning, latency is greatly diminished. Getting sound from my Focusrite 6i6 seems a lot less fussy now, too-used to have to lock/unlock to get sound. Tried running Animoog through IAA into GB, very low latency, but sounded distorted. Maybe a noob mistake? Just starting to record things.

• edited July 2016

I haven't tried it myself but are the latency problems of iPads with audio interfaces solved now with the latest iOS?
    Was demotivated to use my iPad for this since December 2015 so I hope it is working by now.....(?). Latest iOS
    I have tested it with was 9.2

• Yes! It's all working good now! :tired_face:

• ok thanks. Finally. Good to know! will check it out this week

• Is this still working for you guys, @Metallion, @Trevor, @dvarnav? I've just tried recently in response to this and it looks like the problem's back with my Focusrite Scarlett 6i6.

• Still Working here. I have made right now a 3 hour rehearsal with a band (clients) and all rehearsal went well recorded and without latency (i used 5 channels in my focusrite scarlett 18i8)