Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Audio interface latency problems?

Hey guys,

I'm in the process of answering a support question on Loopy's forum about a hardware latency problem, and thought I'd give my Focusrite 6i6 a go to see if I could reproduce the problem. I can: EVERY app that I tried, except for GarageBand, has about 1 second of output latency (with or without Audiobus). Seems to be true for apps that record from the mic and output-only apps alike. Happening on both my iPad Air 2 and iPhone 6s Plus, both on iOS 9.2, with one exception: on the 6S Plus, GarageBand doesn't work at all, but seems to crash the audio interface totally, leaving it squealing in agony.

My Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6, however, works just fine.

So, I wondered: anyone else seeing this with their equipment? Cos...it seems rather bad. It seems like an iOS 9.2 issue, perhaps, but without more data I'm just guessing. What're you guys seeing?

Comments

• This Does sound bad! I'm still on iOS 8.4 but if others don't chime in I may be able to test my iPhone on 9.2.

• No such issues with my EIE interface with 9.2 on iPad Air 1.

• Wise fellow =) Yeah, it seems fine on my partner's iPad Mini Retina on 8.3.

• Read of a problem like this happening to some people on an iOS music group on Facebook, haven't notice anything myself that's as bad as the problem described here, iOS 9.2.1 also iPad Air 2.

• @Michael : There are a few related threads over on the Auria Forum, e.g. http://auriaapp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=13827&p=45441

• "All audio apps are suffering from the same issues under iOS 9.2, and this affects most USB audio devices. Until Apple fixes this, there's not much that can be done unfortunately. App developers have no control over the audio system." - Rim

Wow. Facepalm.

Thanks heaps for the link, @Washboy, that looks like it!

Looks like Focusrite knows about it and has contacted Apple, so I suppose it's just a matter of waiting for them to fix it. Not too awesome though!

• I'm having this issue with an Air 1 on 9.2 with an iConnectivity Audio4+

Things seem to be ok at first but the latency appears after a minute or so. Happens on every app I try.

• Oh, that's interesting - sounds different again. For me, the 1 second latency is there straight away. Oh well, I guess it's some poor sod at Apple's problem now ;-)

• this is again and again not professional apple

• I'm still on iOS 8.4, I guess I won't be upgrading until 9.4 drops at the earliest then .I don't think this will get fixed in 9.3 somehow, usually takes Apple a while to fix these issues. There was a similar fiasco last year with the gfx animations causing the scrolling bug, and that took ages to get fixed. I'm really glad I held off the upgrade though, because my interface is a Scarlett 2i4 and I would be seriously annoyed if it was unusable for a few months.

• @obiwahnkentobi said:
    this is again and again not professional apple

I can accept that bugs are a fact of life in software development, there's no way to avoid them. However what is completely unacceptable is that Apple refuse to allow you a simple way to revert back to a previous OS - that is the thing that makes the platform completely unsuitable for professional work - an OS update can break your workflow and Apple arrogantly say "tough, you can't go back".

• @richardyot

yes the oneway street is a mess...its just not professional.
    and i accept this bug and that bug, i am in different Beta`s and wanna try new things out (love it), on this way i have to juggle often with weird things, but what apple do in the last monthsss....is just not professional, from far far away it looks they dont have a QM testing environment....LoL

• @richardyot said:

@obiwahnkentobi said:

I can accept that bugs are a fact of life in software development, there's no way to avoid them. However what is completely unacceptable is that Apple refuse to allow you a simple way to revert back to a previous OS - that is the thing that makes the platform completely unsuitable for professional work - an OS update can break your workflow and Apple arrogantly say "tough, you can't go back".

Exactly and the constant nagging to update immediately is also irritating but I'm much more cautious than I used to be now I know Apple...staying on 9.1 for now.

iConnectivity say beta 9.3 fixes click and pop issue but does it fix this?

• Having the same issue here.ipadpro,ios9.2.1.If I would rely on iOS with my studio work,I´d live on the street by now...Apple messes up a music production platform,but nobody seems to be in a hurry to fix it.

• @CalCutta said:
    I'm having this issue with an Air 1 on 9.2 with an iConnectivity Audio4+

Things seem to be ok at first but the latency appears after a minute or so. Happens on every app I try.

Interesting. No problems with 9.2 on my Mini Retina with an ICA4+. Use it live and in long rehearsals without a problem.

• @richardyot said:

@obiwahnkentobi said:

TRUTH. Textbook case of how to piss off loyal customers...

• focusrite 18i8: auria on ipad air1/ios 8.4 doesn´t work either (not standalone nor with audiobus).

• Let 'em have it ;-) apple.com/feedback

• ok, i will make a call in a few hours. now we are outside business hours in germany.
    thanks for the encouragement.

• I have a Focusrite Scarlett 18i6 (Air 2, 9.2) and the problem is intermittent. Always happens if I start with Audiobus. If I start Auria first, everything is fine. Starting most individual apps gives the huge latency. Ran Tonestack standalone tonight and it was fine. Don't quite understand the pattern. Previously -- iOS 8.x -- I'd get a similar latency (0.5-1sec) the first time I ran an audio app in any given session, but I found that if I started, quit, then restarted any music app, I'd be OK for the rest of the night.

• phew...thanks the lord i still have 9.1 on my iPad.There is a good reason why i always wait some time before doing an update (although the daily iOS reminder is a f*cking PEST).

• Hmm, I started having an odd problem with my iRig Pro. I'm recording drum tracks from my Percpad into Auria. Sounds fine when I'm recording. I play it back, and the entire track is delayed. I can actually drag the track forward in time and it lines up, except of course for the spots where my timing is poor.

• @Michael

Any chance of a Loopy Masterpiece Eurorack?

• @Deb said:
    @Michael

Any chance of a Loopy Masterpiece Eurorack?

Not at NAMM...maybe they'll be at MusikMesse?!

• Believe me, I'm keeping my mind wiiiiide open to non-iOS possibilities =)

• From both a developer and customer perspective, Apple's arrogance is startling. The tightly controlled software/device environment has some development advantages (the dozens of outstanding apps on my iPad are testament of this), but at such a huge cost. Apple is completely in control, and can end or 'alter the arrangement further' at any time. I think casually breaking Audiobus or Auria as a side-effect to achieve some other roadmap goal is just business as usual. The entire Alchemy debacle demonstrated that the rage of thousands simply means nothing to them.

If only their were alternatives. (Damn Android latency issues!)

• I have an iPad Air 2, with lots of music apps (Auria Pro, Cubasis, Bias FX, etc) and since iOS 9 i feel that latency, even with 128samples. Since every update its been worse. Since last week 9.2.1 my problem is.. a huge problem. I can't work now with my Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 in my rehearsal room. I had to change the system to my macbook pro. I already contacted Focusrite and Apple too.

• edited January 2016

• I´ve an Ipad Air 2. Since iOS 9.2.1 upgrade, my Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 not work. Ipad send me a message "Scarlett 2i4 isn´t compatible", when I stayed with iOS 8.3 the interface works without problems... I don´t understand...

• Is this still an issue with most CCK usb audio devices?
    Additionally , I borrowed a friends iPad Air 2 running iOS 9.2.1 and noticed CPU usage was almost double that in comparison to the same project running on my Air 1 (iOS 8.4).
    Quite scared to update at this point to say the least :(