Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

iMPC Pro by Akai Professional & Retronyms OUT NOW (IAA/MIDI supported)

Comments

• tick tock tick tock.. still waiting in UK.

• Ok. Enough teasing :))

How's the song mode ?

• An app called Time.is Right now is free maybe for spend the time before the release

• edited July 2014

It has been confirmed that iMPC Pro does NOT sync when used as an IAA in the host of your choice. I'm not buying it. This would have been a nice upgrade and improvement over Fingerlab's DM-1, but instead, it is just more of the Retronyms' Used Car Salesman Marketing Tactics.......

• First: Refusing to include Audiobus
    • Now: Refusing to include IAA sync with hosts
  • Agree 100% Aj.

• @Audiojunkie said:

It has been confirmed that iMPC Pro does NOT sync when used as an IAA in the host of your choice. I'm not buying it. This would have been a nice upgrade and improvement over Fingerlab's DM-1, but instead, it is just more of the Retronyms' Used Car Salesman Marketing Tactics.......

• First: Refusing to include Audiobus
    • Now: Refusing to include IAA sync with hosts

This is really disappointing :(

• Snagged Beatmaker2 instead of waiting for impcpro, maybe this was a better choice?

• edited July 2014

They're clearly funneling towards tabletop use. Not entirely surprising.

Edit: I think I may pass too, tabletop has been a bit buggy for me in the last few days I.e. had dm1 hooked via iaa and it started going off tempo after about a minute of play. Also isem and imini haven't been reloading correctly.

• Great... another junk app from Retronyms and Akai.....? Waiting for the synthstation update :) And i hate Audiocopy 2.... so this whole teaser thing and the final product looks like another very commercial but not very useful tool. At least for me. I'm dissapointed too.

• I'm gonna buy iMPC because I like what I've seen so far, and I can live without this or that, but using it in tabletop? No way. That is the most crashy app on iOS. Really. It's a joke.

I can imagine the complexity behind it, but if you add all those in app purchases, it's quite expensive.

• Oh, and the effects are total crap.

• Junk app is that a surprise? :p

• @Aphex: Absolutly No.... good that i don't eat that much junk food last time. I will not invest much in iOS apps in near future but i still eat a tasty iOS steak here and there.... :D

• I buy it because I like MPC workflow and I plan to use it as a BeatMachine / Sampler, so I don't need any sync, I think to export as separate audio to Auria for final edit :-)

And Sync in iOS at this point is unusable, Cubasis sync a drum for just 1/2 bar and go out so it's impossible to record a perfect loop :(

• No sync, no purchase! I appreciate midi sync isn't perfect on iOS..but it's a hell of a lot better than trying to start it in time manually. Pro, shmo. So many other good functions, so it's a frustrating waste of an app!

• @Sinapsya: You're right. I should be fair enough to say that i think that sync is a general problem in iOS (Another reason i finally gave up my "iOS only" dream). But i have a bit of a "there are too much closed systems" feeling when i try to connect different iOS apps. Let's hope iOS 8.0 makes another step forward.

• I am running Tabletop on iPad Air and it is far from the app it was at first release - now it is slick, it looks amazing and I think it has so much to offer. Crashes - what crashes? I really like the flexibility of this app and I can't wait to add iMPC Pro to my table. Retronyms have been given so much bad press over the years: no MIDI - no AB, no AB - no MIDI, whatever. I have created towards 50 new ideas with a Tabletop in the last two months. Each to their own but I like it, a lot.

• Think I'm going to buy it and use it as a stand alone app. There's enough good in there... so long as song mode doesn't blow!

• @Sinapsya said:

I buy it because I like MPC workflow and I plan to use it as a BeatMachine / Sampler, so I don't need any sync, I think to export as separate audio to Auria for final edit :-)

And Sync in iOS at this point is unusable, Cubasis sync a drum for just 1/2 bar and go out so it's impossible to record a perfect loop :(

That's Cubasis though. Beatmaker's sync, when it finds apps that accept it, is far more reliable.

As a MPC1000/JJOS enthusiast, I find post-Numark Akai to be frustrating.

• @Cinebient said:

@Sinapsya: You're right. I should be fair enough to say that i think that sync is a general problem in iOS (Another reason i finally gave up my "iOS only" dream). But i have a bit of a "there are too much closed systems" feeling when i try to connect different iOS apps. Let's hope iOS 8.0 makes another step forward.

I was reluctant to post this, considering the forum I'm in, but honestly, it is not a technological problem, it is a standards problem. If every developer got onto the Midibus SDK wagon and implemented it, there would be no sync problems whatsoever. I wish Fingerlabs would implement it into DM-1! At least things work properly with IAA with DM-1 (unlike iMPC Pro).

Check out this website: http://www.audeonic.com/midibus/

Maybe we need more people asking developers to support this?

• I am now hoping for BeatMaker 3 to be the savior Drum app! :-) Supposedly they will be reworking the GUI, File System, Effects, and removing the bloat (making samples download optional). It already does more than iMPC Pro with BeatMaker 2--it sounds to me like BeatMaker 3 may be the solution! :-)

• Think you're right @Audiojunkie. When I use to midibus supported apps together, things work much better.

Honestly, and I don't want to bring up old shit, but I have trouble getting really behind it because of what I consider to be rather distasteful AudioBus brand hijacking. I know, it's a bus like a million other busses used in music production but http://midib.us/? I mean, c'mon.

• I was kind of hopeful for BeatMachine to be my beats app but now the updates just don't seem to arrive at all. I wonder if maybe @dreamless wanted to wait and see what iMPC Pro will bring to the table first. Maybe the update is going to come tomorrow... I still think I will probably get iMPC Pro.

• Im waiting beatmaker 3 too i have 2 and is really good, btw an app called Beathawk or somenthing like that is a drum machine, any ews?

• anyone know if it has midi in?

• I would love to see all (or the most) apps sitting together in whatever bus driving on the same road. I think the reality is there are different kind of closed systems, app connections, midi protocols and even some kinds of pasteboard on iOS. Maybe iOS 8 and more "busses" will end in even more fragmentations. For me it's going to get more complicated on iOS then using a big DAW like Logic. That should not be in my opinion. What's next? Audiobus was the best feature iOS ever got is my finally result ;)

• what about Midiflow app: https://itunes.apple.com/app/midiflow/id879915554?mt=8

just tested iMPC Pro and it shows here as iMini.

• edited July 2014

@Specter said:

what about Midiflow app: https://itunes.apple.com/app/midiflow/id879915554?mt=8

just tested iMPC Pro and it shows here as iMini.

does it have 'midi in' so we can sequence it from Cubasis?

• @Specter: That looks like Audiobus :) Interesting.... assign different apps to different key zones.