Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

iOS and Eurorack

After playing a while with only iOS I got myself a small Eurorack setup.

My current setup exists of:

• Moog Grandmother & DFAM (the DFAM mounted in the Eurorack)
  • Mutable Instruments Braids & Tides
  • Malekko Borg Filter II
  • AJH Synth Ring Modulator/Mixer
  • Ornaments & Crime module

Still got some space/power left in my Doepfer 2 x 84 HP rack.

Besides that I have an:

• Akai MPC One
  • iPad Pro with a camera kit, headphone jack out and a load of apps (synths, drum machines, sequencers, effects).
  • Korg Nanokontrol Studio (the keys that is) for controlling the apps.
  • Tascam external audiocard.

I would like to incorporate the iPad in this setup but don’t exactly know how.....things I would like to do:

• Sample the sounds from my iPad into the Akai MPC
  • Use the effects of the iPad with my Eurorack system (real-time) and sample this with the Akai MPC.
  • Perhaps even use the midi generating stuff from iPad within my Eurorack system or even use the signals that come out of MIRack.

So in short: the Akai MPC would become the “heart” of the setup and I would like to use the iPad as a sound/MIDI source and effect module.

Comments

• @Bietfriek said:
    After playing a while with only iOS I got myself a small Eurorack setup.

My current setup exists of:

• Moog Grandmother & DFAM (the DFAM mounted in the Eurorack)
    • Mutable Instruments Braids & Tides
    • Malekko Borg Filter II
    • AJH Synth Ring Modulator/Mixer
    • Ornaments & Crime module

Still got some space/power left in my Doepfer 2 x 84 HP rack.

Besides that I have an:

• Akai MPC One
    • iPad Pro with a camera kit, headphone jack out and a load of apps (synths, drum machines, sequencers, effects).
    • Korg Nanokontrol Studio (the keys that is) for controlling the apps.
    • Tascam external audiocard.

I would like to incorporate the iPad in this setup but don’t exactly know how.....things I would like to do:

• Sample the sounds from my iPad into the Akai MPC
    • Use the effects of the iPad with my Eurorack system (real-time) and sample this with the Akai MPC.
    • Perhaps even use the midi generating stuff from iPad within my Eurorack system or even use the signals that come out of MIRack.

So in short: the Akai MPC would become the “heart” of the setup and I would like to use the iPad as a sound/MIDI source and effect module.

Hi,
    if you want to send CVs from the iPad to your Eurorack, you need a DC-Coupled Audio interface.
    Sweetwater’s got a nice article and overview about this.
    https://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/articles/which-audio-interfaces-are-dc-coupled/#Apple

Host your AUv3 FX in AUM, so you get very flexible routing options. If you have enough inputs/outputs on your audio interface, you can dedicate 2 channels to your MPC and leave them connected. So you can rout the signal you want to sample to the MPC out Bus in AUM. Instead of AUM you could also use “ape matrix”.
    The other Channels could be used as FX ins and outs.
    ‘ hope this was a little bit helpful. Good luck.

• edited February 2021

Which Tascam interface do you have?
    Are you looking for a fixed solution or are you happy to switch config depending on work you’re doing?

You will likely need a multi i/o audio interface, possibly with ADAT i/o which you can utilise as CV interface for your external gear.
    Probably the most suitable would be one of expert sleepers interfaces/extensions.

audio i/o - if you want to be able to monitor through iPad or apply AUv3 fx / ext. instrument
    cv i/o - if you you want to use miRack/Drambo with ext. instruments

What about midi? Can you see AKAI midi i/o when attached to iPad? Any midi ports on your audio interface?

• edited February 2021

I use a Mother-32 & DFAM with iOS stuff. I sync it all off an external hardware MIDI clock (which works flawlessly). Definitely possible to sync from iOS too but I prefer slaving the whole rig to an external master tempo.

I find the best way to mix audio is to use a class compliant desk with digital i/o. I use an Allen&Heath. This is awesome as it allows you to route analog audio through digital devices and/or digital audio through analog devices using the aux and fx sends.

I use a separate USB MIDI interface connected to the iOS device for 5pin MIDI inputs/outputs. For CV I use the Mother-32 assignable jack to convert a MIDI CC to CV (assignable output can be changed in real time by program change). You can use your analog desks various outputs (aux being most convenient) as CV trigger inputs for the analog gear. Doesn't matter that the signal is not DC coupled as long as it hits the threshold, but sometimes you need a boost pedal to get the signal to the right place.

• Great thread idea. I don't have the MPC-One but keep thinking about it and have a very similar set of questions.

@OscarSouth Can you list which devices you're using? What generates the clock? Which AH mixer? Which 5pin MIDI interface? Also, any moisturizing tips? It's absurd that your and your missus are both fetching in Christmas sweaters.

• edited February 2021

Thanks for the tips/advice! I was talking about Tascam but it’s a Zoom U24 😇

Preferably it becomes a “fixed” set. I just would like to be able to plug my iPad into the camera kit and go but also be able to use the complete set without the iPad.

For clocking the modular stuff I use the CV/Gate output on my MPC. By creating a dedicated track with quarter notes it’s possible to send out a clock signal. I haven’t looked at a dedicated clock/midi module but that could be an option too.

• @OscarSouth Can you list which devices you're using?

Usually I just use an Air2 attached to the desk via a powered USB bus through the powered CCK. In that clip I'm using a Mini4 while the Air2 is displaying a spectrogram which is receiving it's signal from an iCA4+ interface, which all the audio is running through before hitting the monitors. Normally I skip the iCA4+ (that clip is from my 'live coding' setup which is more complicated and also incorporates a laptop for writing MIDI/audio generating code).

(yeah my devices are old and shit -- iPads are expensive and these 'more or less' still get the job done :# )

What generates the clock?

AKAI MPD32 transport (convenient for beat-repeat pad control too). In my setup the clock from the AKAI actually hits an Alesis SR-16 drum machine which technically doesn't send the clock 'thru' but synchs and generates it's own clock to send out, so the clock actually hitting the Mother-32 MIDI input is 'technically' the SR-16, controlled by the MPD32 transport. This is nice though as if I stop the MPD32 transport then I can synch the whole thing from the SR-16 alone (by splitting and looping the SR-16 MIDI out back into the MPD32 MIDI input) and use song mode or other features from the drum machine for tempo/meter changes and such like.

Which AH mixer?

ZEDi10FX (the FX model is not strictly necessary but does offer a few very minute/specific signal processing benefits).

Which 5pin MIDI interface?

AKAI MPD32 (it functions as a 1in 1out MIDI interface when connected by USB).

Also, any moisturizing tips? It's absurd that your and your missus are both fetching in Christmas sweaters.

Bathe in analogue soundwaves from DFAM for 5-6 hours per day (seriously the nicest sounding analogue bass ever).

• Hmmm maybe the expert sleepers ES-9 could do the job!

• @Bietfriek said:
    Hmmm maybe the expert sleepers ES-9 could do the job!

For the price of an ES-9, I wonder if the Keystep Pro isn't a better option.

• @Bietfriek said:
    Thanks for the tips/advice! I was talking about Tascam but it’s a Zoom U24 😇

Preferably it becomes a “fixed” set. I just would like to be able to plug my iPad into the camera kit and go but also be able to use the complete set without the iPad.

For clocking the modular stuff I use the CV/Gate output on my MPC. By creating a dedicated track with quarter notes it’s possible to send out a clock signal. I haven’t looked at a dedicated clock/midi module but that could be an option too.

Sounds very similar to my workflow -- your desired use case is pretty much exactly what I’m going to do right now! :D

• @rs2000 said:

@Bietfriek said:

Not a great option for Moog gear. Most of the Arturia CV outputs send voltage at 10-12V, which is much higher than even the hottest inputs on the Moogs. It'll work, but without spending a lot on attenuation modules you'll be replacing your Moog gear a lot sooner than you'd like.

• @OscarSouth said:

@rs2000 said:

@Bietfriek said:

Not a great option for Moog gear. Most of the Arturia CV outputs send voltage at 10-12V, which is much higher than even the hottest inputs on the Moogs. It'll work, but without spending a lot on attenuation modules you'll be replacing your Moog gear a lot sooner than you'd like.

Ok then how about the Doepfer A-190-3 as a cost effective alternative with gate + 3 CV outs?

• edited February 2021

@rs2000 said:

@OscarSouth said:

@rs2000 said:

@Bietfriek said:

Ok then how about the Doepfer A-190-3 as a cost effective alternative with gate + 3 CV outs?

I deeply self-debated adding the BeatStep pro, but decided against myself. I think before adding layers of complexity, there's plenty of exploring sequencing possibility to do with iOS software, MPC One (can this thing send out MIDI sequences?) and the specific but highly flexible sequencers on the two Moog units. It'd already take a lifetime to master what's already on the tabletop.

But everyone is different and @Bietfriek sounds like expanding into more modules is part of the plan, so maybe it'd still be a good decision. It's certainly a good piece of kit. I'm personally trying to avoid 'full modular' and keeping myself in semi-modular territory with a mix of semimod desktop units, effects pedals, iPad, MPD, drum machine and a mixer (s**t! .. It already sounds like a lot!! oh yeah also a guitar, floor controls .. damn!!!!)

• edited February 2021

Yeah indeed one has to stop at some point and not get totally lost in technology.
    So I think @Bietfriek does have a few more options to consider now 😊

What I like in the Keystep (not Beatstep) Pro is the sequencer. And a hands-on sequencer can play an essential role in composing music.

Edit: And then there's the KORG SQ-64.

• OMG, just found this one!
    https://oxiinstruments.com/
    🤤

• Well....I’m at the point that I stop buying apps...I really got a lot! Also I’m limiting myself to only this Doepfer rack, when it’s full, it’s full. So every little module needs to be very versatile or add something to my current rack. Stick with the iOS and work with what I’ve got 😇

• edited February 2021

@Bietfriek said:
    Well....I’m at the point that I stop buying apps...I really got a lot! Also I’m limiting myself to only this Doepfer rack, when it’s full, it’s full. So every little module needs to be very versatile or add something to my current rack. Stick with the iOS and work with what I’ve got 😇

I've been working with the same mentality, but for desk space. I quickly filled it! Feel free to contact me via DM here or on Instagram if you want to chat modular/iOS crossover (or public discussion here of course)! I'm doing lots of stuff with those tools these days and we have similar workflow goals/equipment.

• @rs2000 said:

@OscarSouth said:

@rs2000 said:

@Bietfriek said:

I’m looking at the ALM mmMIDI (iirc) it has 3 channels of note CV, gate, velocity CV only 4HP and low power. The last is key for adding into my 1st gen Doepfer G6 case which doesn’t have much power 700ma iirc. Currently I use a Kenton Pro 2 which will instead be used for other monosynths.

For my iPad I’ve bought an ESI M4UeX and Audient Evo 4.

• edited February 2021

Best option is an Expert Sleepers ES-9 or ES-8. The advantage of ES-9 is more inputs, while ES-8 is better if you want to use ADAT from an existing audio interface.

I have both and use each depending on the situation. Routing signals, CV, clock, audio, between miRack / AUM and modular gear is super easy and fun with either ES-8 or ES-9.

Two examples below:

Routing audio between two iPads using ES-8 and ES-9.

Hybrid setup using ES-8, routing clock and audio from iPad and back.

More examples on my Instagram. I discuss the setup more in detail in each post.

• @rs2000 said:
    OMG, just found this one!
    🤤

dammit.

• Thanks for the details @OscarSouth.

• @auxmux Would you really prefer the Es-8/9 over the Oxi One which is to be released in April?

• edited February 2021

@rs2000 I kind of see the Oxi One and ES-9/ES-8 as apples and oranges.

Oxi One looks like a great 8 track melodic / CV sequencer. Some ways better/worse than the Korg SQ-64, which has 3 melodic tracks but eight dedicated gates. So one is better than other depending on your use case. I'd prefer Oxi One over Korg.

ES-8/ES-9 are full blown audio interfaces however, so you can use with them with any iPad sequencer, plus route audio, CV, and clock in / out. They are much more versatile as full fledged solutions in the end for me.

• @OscarSouth said:

@rs2000 said:

@Bietfriek said:

Cant you adjust the voltage output on keysteps though?

• @Fingolfinzz said:

@OscarSouth said:

@rs2000 said:

@Bietfriek said:

Cant you adjust the voltage output on keysteps though?

Apparently not -- spent quite a bit of time trying to figure it that out but alas, seems no.

• @OscarSouth said:

@rs2000 said:

@Bietfriek said:

Attenuation modules are easy to make, but this is even cheaper:

https://www.amazon.com/Inline-Control-3-5MM-Headphones-Black/dp/B008DJTB32/ref=sr_1_10?dchild=1&keywords=Inline+volume+control&qid=1612460706&sr=8-10

• @Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr said:

@OscarSouth said:

@rs2000 said:

@Bietfriek said:

https://www.amazon.com/Inline-Control-3-5MM-Headphones-Black/dp/B008DJTB32/ref=sr_1_10?dchild=1&keywords=Inline+volume+control&qid=1612460706&sr=8-10

A few of this or a similar alternative are probably the best option, though I'd still tape down the attenuator control to save things getting moved by accident.

• 1)

@rs2000 said:
    🤤

WTF. Looks interesting.

2)

@auxmux said:

Wait... what?

3)

@OscarSouth said:
    Feel free to contact me via DM here or on Instagram if you want to chat modular/iOS crossover (or public discussion here of
    course)! I'm doing lots of stuff with those tools these days and we have similar workflow goals/equipment.

Will follow. Like @OscarSouth I've also stopped buying apps. I think MiRack or Drambo was the last I bought and didn't buy anything much for a year before that. I'm building a super small rack in a NiftyCase focused around Plaits & Maths but considering moving totally away from iOS for a brain. Either MPCOne, Force or Octatrack.

• @DatGood said:
    1)

@rs2000 said:
    🤤

WTF. Looks interesting.

2)

@auxmux said:

Wait... what?

3)

@OscarSouth said:
    Feel free to contact me via DM here or on Instagram if you want to chat modular/iOS crossover (or public discussion here of
    course)! I'm doing lots of stuff with those tools these days and we have similar workflow goals/equipment.

Will follow. Like @OscarSouth I've also stopped buying apps. I think MiRack or Drambo was the last I bought and didn't buy anything much for a year before that. I'm building a super small rack in a NiftyCase focused around Plaits & Maths but considering moving totally away from iOS for a brain. Either MPCOne, Force or Octatrack.

I'm the same here -- I only pick anything up these days if it's utility essential. Have a decent back-catalogue and I can barely manage repairing/replacing the guitar and semi-modular hardware when required!

• With that said, to the OP @Bietfriek I think the ES-8 (or 9 if you have the coins) is the best bet. I eventually plan to get that to bounce off MiRack in iOS or Ableton/VCV on MacOS

• @OscarSouth said:

@Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr said:

@OscarSouth said:

@rs2000 said:

@Bietfriek said:

A few of this or a similar alternative are probably the best option, though I'd still tape down the attenuator control to save things getting moved by accident.

If you know how much attenuation you need, you can just wire up a cable with the appropriate resistor in it. Super cheap. I have a bunch of cables with random resistors soldered in. They come in handy during patching.