Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

"Processing payment..." when installing a FREE app!

I just was reminded again at how baffling this always has been to me, among all the other QA and UI/UX things that have gone down the drain at Apple in recent years.

I mean, seriously: If you install a FREE app, you (or at least I!) get a message "Processing payment" before it starts installing.

This is just so ridiculous, it defies belief -- how can such an extremely misleading and alarming message get through the probably hundreds of QA hands at the richest company on earth without anyone taking notice?

Just a random rant and maybe some food for tought at Apple!

Comments

• It’s probably some kind of legal safety net for them.

• I've downloaded several free apps recently and never saw that message. FWIW

• @YourJunk said:
    It’s probably some kind of legal safety net for them.

I assume though that roughly 70% of "first time app downloaders" will be terrified by the message and call Apple support! Is "legal safety net" really worth that?

• SevenSystems:
    I agree with you :) it's idiotic and despotic.
    and always takes one by surprise...

• I always get it and never give it a second thought. I doubt anyone is bothered by it and mostly take it as just another Applism

• @supadom said:
    I always get it and never give it a second thought. I doubt anyone is bothered by it and mostly take it as just another Applism

Not sure. We live in an age of extreme paranoia, especially when it comes to Internet stuff and money (but maybe people were ALWAYS paranoid about money :D ). If you were offered something for free, and the moment you stretch out your hand to take it, the guy who's selling it says "Thanks for the payment" -- that wouldn't bother you? :)

• edited February 2020

If i remember correctly you can disable that procedure in the setting for free apps...

Edit:
    I knew i saw it somewhere:
    Old article: https://www.macobserver.com/tmo/article/how-to-disable-password-requirements-for-free-apps

• @MrBlaschke said:
    If i remember correctly you can disable that procedure in the setting for free apps...

Edit:
    I knew i saw it somewhere:
    Old article: https://www.macobserver.com/tmo/article/how-to-disable-password-requirements-for-free-apps

Yes but I'm not referring to the confirmation itself, which might be fine in some scenarios (kids installing apps they shouldn't, etc.) -- I mean the alarming wording of the message, as if you just had paid for a free app.

• it’s a filtration system put in place to red flag poss trouble makers who may need “removed” for a smoother transition 😎 / assimilation 😜

• @SilverK said:
    it’s a filtration system put in place to red flag poss trouble makers who may need “removed” for a smoother transition 😎 / assimilation 😜

:D

• edited February 2020

From a plain strategic pov it streamlines the accounting system and makes it more difficult to tamper with it.
    (if either handling of free apps would be entirely different or zero purchases would be indicated... the branch in code preceeding the message would reveal the operation)
    ps: I don't consider this a realistic scenario, but one never knows...

• @Telefunky said:
    From a plain strategic pov it streamlines the accounting system and makes it more difficult to tamper with it.
    (if either handling of free apps would be entirely different or zero purchases would be indicated... the branch in code preceeding the message would reveal the operation)
    ps: I don't consider this a realistic scenario, but one never knows...

The App Store page where the purchase is being initiated already knows that the app is free. I can't imagine it is impossible to pass that information to the purchase dialog.

• What is terrible is to think about the time loss all over the world for f..ing shits like these.

• McDMcD
    edited February 2020

@SevenSystems said:
    Just a random rant and maybe some food for tought at Apple!

I wish you would ship Xequence 4 Audio Pro already.

Apple is pretty bad at software systems in general and the good jobs are related to selling more hardware.

Google does excellent software in the main and poor hardware. Amazon and MS are good at servicing potential ancillary markets.

Most of the software I live on IOS comes from 3rd parties and I just tolerate apples attempts to expand into services and micro-manage users.

• wimwim
    edited February 2020

It's not all that mysterious to me. Apple has no motivation to make not spending money on the app store a pleasant experience, and no motivation to encourage app developers to give anything away for free.

Other examples of this de-motivation are the screwy bundle pricing behavior, and the ridiculous process of "purchasing" apps you already own that have gone universal, only at the very last moment telling you that you already own the app, and "would you like to download it for free." :D

• @wim said:
    It's not all that mysterious to me. Apple has no motivation to make not spending money on the app store a pleasant experience, and no motivation to encourage app developers to give anything away.

OK. But if I were Apple, such a bug would make me worried that users might refrain from purchasing ANYTHING in the future. Heck, if the App Store gives the impression that it can't distinguish between free and paid apps, maybe it can't distinguish between EUR 0.99 and EUR 99 either :)

• @SevenSystems said:

@wim said:
    It's not all that mysterious to me. Apple has no motivation to make not spending money on the app store a pleasant experience, and no motivation to encourage app developers to give anything away.

OK. But if I were Apple, such a bug would make me worried that users might refrain from purchasing ANYTHING in the future. Heck, if the App Store gives the impression that it can't distinguish between free and paid apps, maybe it can't distinguish between EUR 0.99 and EUR 99 either :)

They're just a couple of hard working folks just trying to pay the bills, with far too much on their plate. Have some sympathy.

• @wim said:

@SevenSystems said:

@wim said:

They're just a couple of hard working folks just trying to pay the bills, with far too much on their plate. Have some sympathy.

No seriously, I mean, am I too pedantic? I'm downloading a free thing and the confirmation dialog says "Processing payment"? It is unfathomable to me. I can't repeat it often enough. If that happens on a "Our house, our dog, our neighbor" website, OK, nice. But this is the RICHEST COMPANY ON EARTH!

• @SevenSystems said:
    No seriously, I mean, am I too pedantic? I'm downloading a free thing and the confirmation dialog says "Processing payment"? It is unfathomable to me. I can't repeat it often enough. If that happens on a "Our house, our dog, our neighbor" website, OK, nice. But this is the RICHEST COMPANY ON EARTH!

No, you're not being unreasonable. But it's just that they don't care. To Apple it's like a trllionaire digging through the couch cushions for lost coins. I do have to wonder at the actual individuals responsible for the app store software though. No pride in their work? Too detached from it? I dunno. It would drive me crazy to leave details like that in such shoddy shape.

• I think the reason is that in general Apple platforms are considered safe due to closed/sandboxed ecosystem. If they had a lot of people freaking out they’d likely remove it. It’s been there at least since Christmas.

• They don’t say the payment is money. They’re just processing the little bit of your soul that’s being extracted in exchange for an otherwise free app.