Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Anyone experiencing cpu spikes / iOS 13.3 / Air 2

Just updated multiple apps recently plus the latest iOS. Was doing fine with multiple apps / fix running in AUM and now Rice Crispies has jumped into my mix.
[Video evidence] Only experienced this when playing Mononoke. Would do fine in other sessions. Maybe these apps don’t play well together. Got buffer set to the top.

Comments

• I assume you’ve tried rebooting the iPad?

• I've looked into it, but I'm not seeing any Mononoke-related spikes on my systems. Perhaps if you set the buffer to something lower than 1024 frames it gets better (because it spreads CPU usage more over time instead of having a huge peak of calculations once every 1024 frames)?

• Thanks @brambos / will definitely try this out after work

@brambos said:
    I've looked into it, but I'm not seeing any Mononoke-related spikes on my systems. Perhaps if you set the buffer to something lower than 1024 frames it gets better (because it spreads CPU usage more over time instead of having a huge peak of calculations once every 1024 frames)?

I have @wim / probably twice 😉

@wim said:
    I assume you’ve tried rebooting the iPad?

• @iOSTRAKON said:
    Just updated multiple apps recently plus the latest iOS. Was doing fine with multiple apps / fix running in AUM and now Rice Crispies has jumped into my mix.
    [Video evidence] Only experienced this when playing Mononoke. Would do fine in other sessions. Maybe these apps don’t play well together. Got buffer set to the top.

I have the same impression - since my update from 13.2 to 13.3 the performance of my IPadPro 12.9 2017 got much more unreliable and unpredictable ... but can’t see any connection to mononoke

The whole year before - throughout IOS 12 and 13.1-2 the performance was quite stable and consistent ., I somehow got a good intuition for when my AUM-Session would go over its limit and the crackle/cpu-spikes would become unavoidable ...

But since the update to 13.3 these experiences donˋt count anymore - sometimes I get spikes even when I run just two different synth AUV3s inside AUM - >and not even the heavy ones like Model 15 or so ...

Then when I load more AUV3s - I get into a quite stable mid-range ,,, comparable to previous performance

But as soon as I get into the more demanding fields I would say that 13.3 is only capable of 70-80% of what I was doing before on previous IOS-versions ...

This is all quite frustrating .,, I have to say ,,,

And the weird coincidence ... I updated to 13.3 and to Cubasis 2.8.2 within a range of two days or so - and then this issues started - and I also read about and experienced strange and quirky behavior of Cubasis -

So - can there be a correlation or is this against any logic?

• edited January 2020

13.3 makes my 7 Plus often very slow, but fortunately not with music apps. It was better when I updated from 12 one month ago.

• @Bon_Tempi - agreed, it’s not Mononoke for sure. Something changed within the update. Last week I’ve had no issues running multiple apps. Going to tone down the buffer and see if it helps

@Bon_Tempi said:

@iOSTRAKON said:

I have the same impression - since my update from 13.2 to 13.3 the performance of my IPadPro 12.9 2017 got much more unreliable and unpredictable ... but can’t see any connection to mononoke

The whole year before - throughout IOS 12 and 13.1-2 the performance was quite stable and consistent ., I somehow got a good intuition for when my AUM-Session would go over its limit and the crackle/cpu-spikes would become unavoidable ...

But since the update to 13.3 these experiences donˋt count anymore - sometimes I get spikes even when I run just two different synth AUV3s inside AUM - >and not even the heavy ones like Model 15 or so ...

Then when I load more AUV3s - I get into a quite stable mid-range ,,, comparable to previous performance

But as soon as I get into the more demanding fields I would say that 13.3 is only capable of 70-80% of what I was doing before on previous IOS-versions ...

This is all quite frustrating .,, I have to say ,,,

And the weird coincidence ... I updated to 13.3 and to Cubasis 2.8.2 within a range of two days or so - and then this issues started - and I also read about and experienced strange and quirky behavior of Cubasis -

So - can there be a correlation or is this against any logic?

• @iOSTRAKON said:
    @Bon_Tempi - agreed, it’s not Mononoke for sure. Something changed within the update. Last week I’ve had no issues running multiple apps. Going to tone down the buffer and see if it helps

but isn’t it weird that there are not more reports about this update-related issue? Or are there? Anybody knows if Appel is aware about this already?

I already set my buffer to 1024 - and it didn’t really make things better ... just relatively to the higher buffer - but still with a 1024 buffer my device was much more stable and powerful before the update ..l

• I've been having them in AUM on Ipad Pro 2 throughout all iOS 13 versions, sometimes when I scroll screen, closing auv3 windows or scroll keyboard. Software does not matter most of the time.
    I doubt it has anything to do with device or its load, cos I get spikes with just 2 apps running, prolly some iOS CPU priorities. Just hope apple will fix it anyhow.

• @Aegersmoothie said:
    I've been having them in AUM on Ipad Pro 2 throughout all iOS 13 versions, sometimes when I scroll screen, closing auv3 windows or scroll keyboard. Software does not matter most of the time.
    I doubt it has anything to do with device or its load, cos I get spikes with just 2 apps running, prolly some iOS CPU priorities. Just hope apple will fix it anyhow.

Do you get crackling when it happens? The "spike" may mean that the CPU got throttled and followed by the OS unthrottling the CPU.

• I’m only getting that sort of thing on the new Jammpro thing, nothing else... iPad Pro 2016...

• @espiegel123 said:

@Aegersmoothie said:
    I've been having them in AUM on Ipad Pro 2 throughout all iOS 13 versions, sometimes when I scroll screen, closing auv3 windows or scroll keyboard. Software does not matter most of the time.

Do you get crackling when it happens? The "spike" may mean that the CPU got throttled and followed by the OS unthrottling the CPU.

Yep, crackles occur on spikes and DSP goes from 20% beyond 100% for a moment