Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Djay 2 ... my favorite scratch making machine has... SPOTIFY SUPPORT!

How about that!

Comments

• I think that Traktor DJ is a lot better, but this is a pretty killer addition! Traktor doesn't even have Audiobus.

• And SugarBytes FX to boot :)

• @Michael_R_Grant said:

I think that Traktor DJ is a lot better, but this is a pretty killer addition! Traktor doesn't even have Audiobus.

Or a true pitch control (turntable style). I consider this app incomplete until that's added.

I have always held off on Djay 2, think I'm gonna give it a chance.

• anyone using virtual MIDI to control this (via Lemur or other iOS app)?

or does it only have MIDI from the specific hardware controllers listed in the description?

• also, no need to buy the SugarBytes effects IAP if you have Turnado, amirite?

• It will DJ for you now, that seems... counter intuitive :)

• Hehe that's how dj technology's been going for years. Find someone who's learned to dj in the last 5 years who never uses the "sync" button (hint: they're hard to find)

• It's also on sale and dj 2 for iPhone is FREE:

http://appshopper.com/music/djay-2-for-iphone

• The Spotify integration works really well , but sadly before everyone gets too excited - you can't use Spotify tracks while connected to Audiobus :-( In fact there is no way to record your mixes at all now , making the whole thing great fun , but a bit pointless.

• I just noticed... damn!
    You can't record session either.

The new effects are nice though. Especially the beat repeaters. You can audiopaste some loops and beatjuggle them a bit.

although some of you may think it's a toy, you can get some serious scratching from it (on iPad though)

• @loopingstar said:

The Spotify integration works really well , but sadly before everyone gets too excited - you can't use Spotify tracks while connected to Audiobus :-( In fact there is no way to record your mixes at all now , making the whole thing great fun , but a bit pointless.

Sneaky...they got 4.99 out of me for the ipad version. Very disappointing.

• edited May 2014

@boone51 said:

Very disappointing.

I didn't buy, but the disappointing part to me is the strategy they are using. Its the whole idea of boasting new features which are actually only useful for casual users, and useless for more serious musicians.

It probably works and makes them lots of money. No doubt their majority of users will love the Spotify integration and not care that it is useless in audiobus.

And I'm all charged about this probably because I can't stand the way IK uses the same strategy successfully.

Oh well, plenty of other exciting devs and companies that do get it.

• useless for those who like to create/record mixes maybe but think of all of the backyard and frat party DJs they're about to win over. Going to call this a big win for them.

• Frankly, there's very little unique functionality I see lost with their strategy. I'd guess the majority of users who would want the Spotify functionality are going to dj parties/weddings, where Audiobus is unnecessary for most. Those who want to use DJay 2 in Audiobus will most likely have a good idea of music they want to play, and the majority of those will probably want to play original music that's not going to be in Spotify, but their own iTunes playlist.

If you really need Spotify for sampling in Audiobus, there's always Amplifind.

• are you guys saying it won't let you record spottily mixes, or it won't let you record mixes period no matter where the music comes from?

• Hopefully someone can answer this 'cause I've never known: What bitrate does Spotify stream at? I know Soundcloud does 128, which imo is unacceptable for DJ'ing.

• There's still a record button when you are using iTunes music

• edited May 2014

This is bound to be a licensing issue, as it would be way too easy to make copies of Spotify tracks if you could record the mix. I don't think we should be railing on the developers for what seems like an obvious anti-piracy measure. That horse has bolted, of course (there are countless ways to copy tracks elsewhere), but whatever!

• That worry isn't worth much as Amplifind already lets an Audiobus user sample directly from Spotify.

• I was just critical of imaschine on the other thread for not being connected to other parts of iOS and being a you, but now I'm saying the opposite on this one- I will find this extremely useful. I used spotify to DJ part of the breaks at the wedding I played last week (I'm a bassist, but was also doing sound and leading last week, as I will this Sunday, meaning I have to play break music too). I used Dj rig to DJ the breaks because of auto mix, but you can't randomize it and can't start mid-playlist. Djay can at least randomize it, so I bought it and will use it now. Even cooler is that I used pacemaker to do some spotify stuff at the same wedding, but now I can do it from one app. So, I'm definitely not a frat boy and DEFINITELY am not a DJ (many wedding guests to confirm that!), so this will be very useful.

• @CalCutta said:

Hopefully someone can answer this 'cause I've never known: What bitrate does Spotify stream at? I know Soundcloud does 128, which imo is unacceptable for DJ'ing.

It changes based on connection, anything from 96kbps to 320kbps I believe.

• Despite the recording issue , it is a good update - The new FX packs are fantastic ( and the complete set half price for a limited time ! ) . I guess the Spotify integration IS still useful (and not really pointless as I said originaly ) as it does allow you to experiment with new tracks , to hear how they sound in a mix before buying them.

• stumbled across your little blog here. I found it interesting that most of you wrote this app off because you couldn't record using the in-app record feature or Audiobus. None of you obviously have ever dj'd with a set of turntables and had to record your mixes through a tape deck? This tech' is ridiculous! your spinning tracks from a server, through an app on a tablet, in real time and you're talking about this sux because you can't record your mixes on your ipad?? wow. i am pretty sure you can come up with a creative way to record your own mixes. djay 2 + spotify = sick, all day long!!!

• They were probably trying to avoid an infinite mix loop where DJs record their mix, upload it to Spotify, it gets remixed again, uploaded to Spotify, remixed again, Spotify, remix, Spotify, ad nauseam... If that happened, music would collapse in upon itself and pull the world into a black hole...

• @chknise, welcome to the forum. I would point out that this is an Audiobus forum. DJay2 might not suck in regards to doing whatever DJs do with it, but in regards to Audiobus, that spotify feature sucks. I don't think the app sucks at all. Not my cup of tea, really, but I can appreciate a well made music app, and it certainly is one.

• edited May 2018

@Miles_Gonzalez said:
    well, not every devices supports spotify music, but if you'd use a tool to convert spotify songs to mp3, then the spotify music should be played anywhere. Lately I put the converted mp3 music to my song walkman mp3 player to play when I am doing excise. It is a great experience.

Why you answer to a 2014 post?

• @Dubbylabby said:

@Miles_Gonzalez said:
    well, not every devices supports spotify music, but if you'd use a tool to convert spotify songs to mp3, then the spotify music should be played anywhere. Lately I put the converted mp3 music to my song walkman mp3 player to play when I am doing excise. It is a great experience.

Sorry, I just woke up. :D

• @CracklePot said:

@Dubbylabby said:

@Miles_Gonzalez said:

Sorry, I just woke up. :D

• @alexbuga said:
    I just noticed... damn!
    You can't record session either.

The new effects are nice though. Especially the beat repeaters. You can audiopaste some loops and beatjuggle them a bit.

although some of you may think it's a toy, you can get some serious scratching from it (on iPad though)

Hello @alexbuga

How do you achieve to have such gated scratch sounds?
    I really struggle with the lack of easy crossfader in djay.

Do you use cues?
    Do you actually play the sample, or scratch it at the right speed?

• Nowadays, Djay 2 doesn't support Spotify anymore directly. Spotify announced that there is no any official third-party DJ software that supports Spotify music. If you'd like to DJ with Spotify, the best way is to use a Spotify Converter to download and convert Spotify songs as common audio files for DJ editing apps. After that, you can use any DJ software to DJ with Spotify.