Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Apple Subscription Services on the March, Will music apps be forced to join!

Watching the latest Apple Event. It looks like App subscription rather than buying is the way Apple are moving, News +, Apple Arcade. Do we only have a few years left before it all goes subscription based. It looks that way.

Comments

• I sincerely hope Apples attempt at 'world dominance' (Credit-Cards, Control over News, Subscription Slavery etc.) fails miserably...

• I hope googles and amazons fail too, not to mention actual dictators failing.

• I can't imagine it will all be subscription based, otherwise no-one would be able to afford more than a handful of apps. Unless they do a store-wide subscription, but that would probably be a terrible deal for devs.

• I’ve already got what I’ve got. It looks like the new hardware will be less suited to music and my old hardware won’t keep up with future app/iOS requirements anyway. I won’t be upgrading to subscription enforcing versions...

• I get severe 'Wag the Dog' vibes from all these Apple Services things.

It's like they really want to indoctrinate people even more to be dependent in their own eco-system controlling everything from news to the content we can 'freely' choose from.

It's already started with the so called 'expert curation' of news which is pure BS for those of us who still have our own free will and brain to think with. It's just creating mindless hordes of zombies eventually leading to something close to the movie Idiocracy...

• Studio One has just went to a rent to buy option. If the apps go subscription, I’d be out of here SO fast. Unless perhaps Apple came out with some supersized GarageBand Pro or something like that .

• edited March 2019

@Telstar5 said:
    Studio One has just went to a rent to buy option. If the apps go subscription, I’d be out of here SO fast. Unless perhaps Apple came out with some supersized GarageBand Pro or something like that .

Me too. I'd most likely go back to finger drumming, claves, tambourines, shakers and maybe even properly learn to play a few acoustic instruments.

For me the best times to be creative is when there is no electricity at all and everything is super silent.
    I mean I even start to hum melodies which I don't normally do :D

Who knows soon we might even see 'OS & Hardware as a Service' pay a monthly fee and get access to 'everything'.
    Pay $999 per month and get 'Apple Everything', iMac's, Apple TV's, iPhones, iPads with all 'apps & services' included.

The worst that could happen is apple drops support for my current MacBook Air and that the next version of Logic Pro X 'requires' MacOS 10.15 and who knows, maybe Apple drops support for the iPad Air 2 with iOS13 then I'm in deep shite and need to invest in a LOT of stuff of new hardware...

Oh well at least the stuff isn't 'mandatory' and we still have the option to opt out :)

• I assume before the subocalypse hits that I will be set up with bought apps that will suit me fine until my own personal apocalypse. On desktop, within the realm of just making stuff for fun, I am more than fine with audio and graphics programs that are now six years old. I bet iOS will one day have the same plateau for me and I could probably at a certain point go the rest of my life without updating. It will just come down to my drawing and playing / composing skill... (Oh but those sweet VSTs on your iPad, just imagine.... (shut up brain!!))

• edited March 2019

I know in other sectors than audio, developers are complaining of strongarm tactics by Apple with regard to subscriptions. It 's been claimed by some (not verified AFAIK) that once there are a good number of subscription apps in a category, an app without subscription options is less likely to get favourable App Store presence. Much as I say this isn't verified, I have no reason to doubt the claim as it makes commercial sense for Apple to promote the apps that make them the most income over the lifetime usage.

I use a subscription offer on OS X called SetApp which is set up to make subscriptions work for independent developers. Interestingly if an application exists on both desktop and iOS and the iOS app is a subscription app the monthly SetApp subscription covers both desktop and iOS. I'm a long term user of Ulysses but refused to upgrade to the subscription on either desktop or iOS but when I found out that it was included in the SetApp subscription I was happy to pay my $10 per month to have Ulysses and the 100+ other apps that are part of the package too.

It wouldn't surprise me if some enterprising spark creates a similar package for the iOS Audio sector at some point in time. At the end of the day, it's a very compelling proposition for developers as it's regular, predictable income. And I bet most of the regulars here on the Audiobus forum spend at least $10 each month on audio apps. :)

• If you are a developer and you app gets added to a subscription bundle does that mean you get a regular cut from Apple ? Is it better news for a developers prospective?

It’s on some music developers minds already to weigh up the pros a cons ?

How much do you pay for music apps per month £20-30-50-70-100 dollars, pounds.

If you paid £$10-£$20 a month on subscription for music making apps and you could download anyone you want from a best sellers list would you take the deal up.

To be honest half of us would probably save money in the long term !

I don’t think we actually own the music apps we have now. We just have a licence to use.

It’s the owning bit or not that gets to most people.

At least with hardware you can sell it on. It’s all about disposability.

• edited March 2019

I love the irony in Tim Apple's "The customer is the centre of everything we do!".
    Sure, without customers there would be no income for Apple :D

Meaning the more they can 'milk' their customers the better...

The 'stupid' customer reads it "Wow they are doing stuff that is just for ME!" which is a BIG delusion!

• @Jumpercollins said:

To be honest half of us would probably save money in the long term !

I don’t think we actually own the music apps we have now. We just have a licence to use.

It’s the owning bit or not that gets to most people.

All true.

Software licenses have always beencovered by a 'license to use' said software.

I have a few different rental products but I've not automatically gone for every rental offer that comes along.

• MS office I rent without blinking because of it's shared with up to 5 household members each of which gets 1Tb of OneDrive space. That seems reasonable value for the annual fee.
    • Adobe Creative Collection is far cheaper for me to maintain than the few licences I used to 'own' and upgrade.
    • As previously mentioned, SetApp is reasonable value for the number of apps that I use from it's portfolio

I also like to be part of a sustainable business model for those developers that deserve it (speaking strictly about the SetApp offer here, before I draw the MS and Adobe haters out of the closet).

I find that I'll often purchase IAP's on iOS simply because I feel the developer deserves support. With a rental, there's a different way of ensuring developers get regular income.

But I am concerned about apps without a subscription no longer getting the presence they deserve in the App Store.

• The more that I see dictatorship like this, the more I like my Linux workstation.

• Dictatorship?

• edited March 2019

All apps will be subscription only and it’s obligatory. You have to pay, you don’t have a choice. You will also be forced to play the game of the week for at least three hours a day before you can unlock your iphone.

It’s all there in Apple’s T&Cs. You did read them before you clicked “agree” didn’t you?

If you get behind in your payments they will come round your house and take your pets. And your wired headphones.

• @klownshed said:
    All apps will be subscription only and it’s obligatory. You have to pay, you don’t have a choice. You will also be forced to play the game of the week for at least three hours a day before you can unlock your iphone.

It’s all there in Apple’s T&Cs. You did read them before you clicked “agree” didn’t you?

If you get behind in your payments they will come round your house and take your pets. And your wired headphones.

very brave new world

• Everybody has got it in their own hands. If nobody buys into subscription, it won't happen.

• To hell with subscriptions. I’m backing the cellular industry’s “pay-per-minute” plan. Knowing I don’t want to be charged for going over my monthly allotment will surely keep me from obsessing over how to EQ this a-hole of a bass drum.

• I now regret getting a iPad Pro 10.5 and investing in all those music app.

• @ecou said:
    I now regret getting a iPad Pro 10.5 and investing in all those music app.

Nah, don’t because it’s only conjecture at this point.

• If Apple do this, then it’s bye bye... Take the pain for all the money I’ve invested into music apps. & go Microsoft completely.. Price for Surface Pro, is only a little more than Apple iPad Pro... Plus, i can use everything on my Desktop on a tablet... I’m going to vote for “Applexit”..

• Microsoft imitates Apple in many ways. Mostly unsuccessful, but they do.

• I dont think music apps would be in any kind the market in which they can satisfy their greed. Games however can. I am interested and curious how much their subscription will be. My guess its wa less than a tenner. Maybe 6.99 or even 4.99 (you know to get the kids). But music apps is just a niche, they would have forcibly pressed into it and made some other decisions if this market would be of any interest to them. Camera apps are well loved too, but we haven’t seen a subscription of video apps too, because its not a market for them.

• Sorry guys but I just peeped this. This is for apple’s own services, not 3rd party apps. I don’t see how this is going to affect our world in the near future, if ever.
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.theverge.com/platform/amp/2019/3/25/18277461/apple-event-2019-tv-plus-arcade-credit-card-streaming-news-oprah-recap-biggest-announcements

• If only they put the same effort into desktop computers, as they do TV channels and banking services, what wonderful hardware we’d have.

Apple: the new, more expensive Tesco’s.

• When it comes this is what I’m doing

• The only apps on subscription addressed in this Apple presentation were media content, purchases, and game apps. For many years, gamers have been able to rent games rather than purchase them so a subscription model would be the next logical progression.

Simply put, music creation apps are far too niche and too small a market to offer the sorts of services shown in the presentation. In addition, not all game apps will be part of the subscription service either.

The fear many posters express about all music apps going subscription seems to have little basis in reality and this presentation does nothing to change this.

If and until the masses show an interest in music creation apps on par with game apps, the economics will simply not be there to support this. On the other hand a large proportion of people listen to music which is why we have Apple Music and Spotify subscriptions.

• I think I will incorporate myself in to a consumer "entity" and offer a subscription model for my patronage. If Apple wants me as a customer, I will offer them a subscription plan where they pay me monthly for my continued loyalty as an Apple user.

I think this is the only reasonable response.

• @osc101 said:
    I think I will incorporate myself in to a consumer "entity" and offer a subscription model for my patronage. If Apple wants me as a customer, I will offer them a subscription plan where they pay me monthly for my continued loyalty as an Apple user.

I think this is the only reasonable response.

Yeah, we should get 'paid' for doing free advertisement for Apple! I'm in :)

• @AudioGus said:
    subocalypse

This deserves to be added to the Oxford English Dictionary !