Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Midi learn in au3 audio effects (turnado)?

Hello

I’ve been using Turnado very happily as an Au3 audio effect within AUM and Audiobus. I can map knobs from my controllers using midi Learn with no problem. I’m now trying in both Cubasis and Stagelight to control the Turnado knobs with midi (when inserted as an Au3 audio effect to track Insert/send), but nothing happens when I try to use the midi learn.

Am I missing something obvious here, or do these DAWs not see midi input to audio effects [not working for Synthmaster One FX either)? I’ve also tried in BM3 where I also can’t midi learn to Turnado directly, but can use BM3’s macro controls to control the knobs.

One last thing... can anyone tell me the usage difference between ‘Turnado’ and ‘Turnado Midi’ as AU3 options?

Thanks for any enlightenment available.

Comments

• You are indeed: the currently-live version of Audiobus doesn't yet properly support MIDI Learn with outputs from AUs or apps. The beta (nearing release, now) does.

• @Michael said:
    You are indeed: the currently-live version of Audiobus doesn't yet properly support MIDI Learn with outputs from AUs or apps. The beta (nearing release, now) does.

Dandy, thanks

• No problem for me using midi learn for Turnado knobs in Audiobus, ever awesome as always, but should I be able to use midi learn in Cubasis / Stagelight, or is there just no way to route midi to AUs in effect slots in iOS DAWs?

• So... to half answer my own question, I've been coming to terms with the fact that the exceptional midi routing options in AB and AUM just aren't available in other Apps.

My original quest, having just acquired a Roli Lightpad Block, was to find a way to record MPE midi data in a sequencer as a midi loop. Cubasis can do this (and Stagelight I think, though I've not tested this yet). However, I want to be able to mangle everything I do through Turnado AU effect with external controller knobs - nothing in iOS music making gives me more pleasure - and I can't seem to do this without using Audiobus or AUM.

Anyway, I've just realised (thanks to this forum) that Photon AU records MPE data, so now I can go back to AB / AUM and carry on playing there, using Photon with Noise Melody AU and on to Turnado. Such a long road and I've ended up just round the corner from where I began, though at least slightly wiser and now able to express myself polyphonically (with knobs).

• edited March 2019

@Michael said:
    You are indeed: the currently-live version of Audiobus doesn't yet properly support MIDI Learn with outputs from AUs or apps. The beta (nearing release, now) does.

@Michael
    So for now only hardware controllers work?

• Right now, yep, unless you're on the beta.