Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Which iOS synths can do hard sync?

Wondering which iOS synths can have their oscillators set up with hard sync.

Comments

• edited December 2018

Sunrizer Zeeon. Also Arctic Pro I think.

• The best (imo) is Korg’s ARP Odyssey. Most underrated (imo) is Viking synth.

• @lairdhenn said:
    The best (imo) is Korg’s ARP Odyssey. Most underrated (imo) is Viking synth.

viking synth is great...thanks for the reminder

• Cassini
    KQ Mini Synth
    iSem
    iMono/Poly
    iWavestation
    Model 15
    mood
    Magellan (although sync sounds a bit different there)

• Thor does sync on oscillators 2 and 3:

I’ve never seen a synthesizer that allowed you to smooth/slew the transition when the synced oscillator is reset, which would open up a range of less harsh, less buzzy sync sounds, if you are using the smoother waveforms, like triangle and sine.

• Thanks. It is interesting how different the results are with hard-synching in the synths I've tried so far (Model 15, Mood, iSem, Sunrizer, Zeeon). So far I haven't managed to get the sound I am reaching for (getting closest on Model 15 and Mood -- will continue with the Korgs next).

I spent some time listening to demos of Prophet 5 hard-synching last night. It can get some really rich ugly distortion. I have never really explored it before and would love to reproduce similar timbres (like that nasty lead sound on Burning down the House - which also has some T-Wah)

• @espiegel123 said:
    Thanks. It is interesting how different the results are with hard-synching in the synths I've tried so far (Model 15, Mood, iSem, Sunrizer, Zeeon). So far I haven't managed to get the sound I am reaching for (getting closest on Model 15 and Mood -- will continue with the Korgs next).

I spent some time listening to demos of Prophet 5 hard-synching last night. It can get some really rich ugly distortion. I have never really explored it before and would love to reproduce similar timbres (like that nasty lead sound on Burning down the House - which also has some T-Wah)

hardware will always sound better.

• @sysexual : quite often. But not always. I may just need to improve my sound design chops and find the right synth.

• edited December 2018

Sync can be handy not just for the ripping lead sounds, but also for the more pedestrian use of keeping oscillators with different octaves, or unison tuning with different oscillator shapes, together and phase coherent, to keep oscillators combining in a consistent way, so they don’t chorus or partially cancel each other. It sounds like the two oscillators are fused into one more complex oscillator. Syncing the higher octave can keep an oscillator doing sub bass more consistent in volume, by keeping the phase relationship constant with the upper octave.

• One thing that isn’t adequately explained in the manual for Korg Electribe Wave is how the sync works. There’s only one oscillator – the wavetable itself – so what on earth is it syncing with, and what are the characteristics of that?

• Tera does sync too, by the way

• edited December 2018

@Processaurus : there are types of sync that keep the oscillators phase-aligned (as long as the oscillator cycle lengths are multiples) that aren't hard-sync. My particular interest is hard-sync.

Last night, I happened upon a note from a Moog engineer explaining that the (hardware) Model 15's sync modes were not true hard-sync. I don't know about the software version, though, it seems very much like hard-sync to me, but I am not an expert.

[CORRECTION: the software Model 15 is doing classic hard-sync when set to strong. The posting that I saw quoting an engineer Moog was apparently regarding the sync switch on the original hardware. The software manual describes it as hard-sync and with further exploration, I've been able to get classic hard-sync timbres. ]

• Something on SynthMaster perhaps?

• @Telstar5 said:
    Something on SynthMaster perhaps?

SynthMaster One’s oscillators have some sync options, but I can’t figure out exactly how they work. I can’t find a manual for it. When I click on the Help window link for the manual, nothing happens.

Does a manual exist?

• @u0421793 said:
    Tera does sync too, by the way

Are you sure that it has hard-sync? From reading the manual, it doesn't sound like it. It sounds like it has key sync which is different.

• @espiegel123 said:

@Telstar5 said:

SynthMaster One’s oscillators have some sync options, but I can’t figure out exactly how they work. I can’t find a manual for it. When I click on the Help window link for the manual, nothing happens.

Does a manual exist?

I eventually was able to get it. The first few times, I tapped in the link for the pdf, nothing happened. Fifth time was charm.

• @Telstar5 said:

It doesn’t look like it has true hard-sync.

• ODYSSEi and Mono/Poly hard-sync is sounding good. Will revisit Sunrizer and Zeeon.

• DRC can do that and many other things, highly recommended

• @espiegel123 said:
    Thanks. It is interesting how different the results are with hard-synching in the synths I've tried so far (Model 15, Mood, iSem, Sunrizer, Zeeon). So far I haven't managed to get the sound I am reaching for (getting closest on Model 15 and Mood -- will continue with the Korgs next).

Can you please post audio examples of a few P5 "best picks"?
    And add which oscillator waveforms were used in the syncing and in the synced oscillator?
    I can confirm that hard sync sounds different in almost every synth.

• @BlueGreenSpiral said:
    DRC can do that and many other things, highly recommended

While I like DRC, I am not loving its hard-sync so far. But, I’ll give it another shot.

• @rs2000 said:

@espiegel123 said:

Can you please post audio examples of a few P5 "best picks"?
    And add which oscillator waveforms were used in the syncing and in the synced oscillator?
    I can confirm that hard sync sounds different in almost every synth.

Here are a couple of vids of the P5 and Pro-one that I enjoyed
    P5

Pro-One

Can’t post the audio, but the Talking Heads’ “Burning Down the House” has a solo that set me off on this journey.

There is a nice hard-sync tutorial for Massive here :smile:

http://blog.dubspot.com/sound-design-tutorial-creating-synth-leads-using-sync-modulation-in-native-instruments-massive/

• edited December 2018

I've just tried Zeeon and it works well:

I'm surprised how the Pro-One in the video sounds thinner than Zeeon.
    So much for vintage analog vs. virtual analog :D

• @espiegel123 are you asking just for hard sync between two oscillators or hard sync in general ? Because Obsidian in Nanostudio have hard sync for each oscillator individually (oscillator i syncing with itself, very similiar feature like on Novation Supernova/Ultranova synths)

• edited December 2018

@rs2000 said:

No wonder if that is the patch in your picture with all saturations on and some more going on.
    Repro (the ProOne emulation) indeed has the best sync i heard yet and especially nothing beats it´s range as well.
    But Zeeon is great too indeed. I mean Zeeon just can do nearly all :)
    Off-topic but i also love Zeeon since it can go so low and high. Biggest range of frequencies (together with Model 15) in iOS world.
    Oh yes, Model 15 can do it as well of course (my favorite sync on iOS yet).

• edited December 2018

@Cib said:

@rs2000 said:

No wonder if that is the patch in your picture with all saturations on and some more going on.
    Repro (the ProOne emulation) indeed has the best sync i heard yet and especially nothing beats it´s range as well.
    Off-topic but i also love Zeeon since it can go so low and high. Biggest range of frequencies (together with Model 15) in iOS world.

Yes, that's the patch and yes, I've used what's on board :smiley:
    Model 15 is great too, I'm just faster on Zeeon so it's usually the first one I pick.

Edit: Here's the new Zeeon bank with one patch. You can open it in Zeeon, save the program to an existing bank and delete the new bank if you like.

• Poison-202 can do pretty mean sync as well and has dedicated pitch-envelope per oscillator making it easy to do sounds similar to those in the linked video.

I think part of the 'charm' of the sounds in the linked videos is the control of the 'Envelope->VCO2 Pitch' using the mod-wheel and also the the filter on the Pro One.

• @rs2000 said:

Just tried Zeeon again, I like it. When I tried it the first time, I must not have noticed that its hard-sync is set up the opposite of the ODYSSEi and Mono/Poly and even Sunrizer. In Zeeon, oscillator 2 is the sync source. In the others, oscillator 1 is the source.

For my hard-sync “tests”, I am using simple patches without additional distortion and limited filtering to see what you can get with just one oscillator audible in the mix whose pitch is swept to dynamically change the generated harmonics. Something like this:

• @rs2000 said:

@Cib said:

@rs2000 said:

Yes, that's the patch and yes, I've used what's on board :smiley:
    Model 15 is great too, I'm just faster on Zeeon so it's usually the first one I pick.

Edit: Here's the new Zeeon bank with one patch. You can open it in Zeeon, save the program to an existing bank and delete the new bank if you like.

The Model 15’s ‘sync’ has a very different character (which I also like). I am having fun using the Animoog-style keys and plugging their modulation (via the attenuator) output into one of the oscillator frequency inputs to create a sort of finger-wah.