Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

iPad Direct to Monitors?

Hi, just want confirmation that I can connect an iPad directly to active monitors using the hp Jack to a stereo splitter into the monitors. Any problems, volume issues? Thanks!

Comments

• This works fine for me. Never any issues really.

• Thanks @sysexual. I knew someone was out there with the answer!

• Yeah I use a splitter from the headphone socket either to monitors, to a mixer (for separate l/r channels), or most often to the l/r audio inputs into my Maschine Mk3, which I use as an audio interface. Works perfectly.

• Thanks @MonzoPro . I will get a cable with a left and right splitter.
    I might get a Kawai VPC1 which has very limited connectivity. No audio in and just midi or USB out, hence the question.

• It works especially well on the new iPad pro. ;)

• @MonzoPro said:
    Yeah I use a splitter from the headphone socket either to monitors, to a mixer (for separate l/r channels), or most often to the l/r audio inputs into my Maschine Mk3, which I use as an audio interface. Works perfectly.

Do you use Maschine with iPad?

• @sysexual said:

@MonzoPro said:
    Yeah I use a splitter from the headphone socket either to monitors, to a mixer (for separate l/r channels), or most often to the l/r audio inputs into my Maschine Mk3, which I use as an audio interface. Works perfectly.

Ah, just as an interface. I know NI gear isn't class compliant.

• edited November 2018

@sysexual said:

@sysexual said:

@MonzoPro said:

I either sample into it, or record straight through into my DAW (Reason). My PC has crap onboard sound, so the interface comes in really handy.

• @LinearLineman said:
    Hi, just want confirmation that I can connect an iPad directly to active monitors using the hp Jack to a stereo splitter into the monitors. Any problems, volume issues? Thanks!

Only downside is on audio glitch (buzzing as worst case scenario) you must turn off the monitors quickly so a power strip with a switch close to you may be handy ;)

Also , if you place the monitors far from you , you might want to use a pseudobalanced cable (unbalanced audio from iPad to the the balanced monitor’s input ). This will reduce noise ;)

• @Korakios said:

@LinearLineman said:

Only downside is on audio glitch (buzzing as worst case scenario) you must turn off the monitors quickly so a power strip with a switch close to you may be handy ;)

Also , if you place the monitors far from you , you might want to use a pseudobalanced cable (unbalanced audio from iPad to the the balanced monitor’s input ). This will reduce noise ;)

You can avoid ground loops mostly by powering the iPad and the monitor speakers from the same power distribution unit.
    The iPad phones output is quite a capable one because it can drive very low impedances.

• I use a simple splitter from headphone jack to powered monitors every day. I love how simple this setup is and it sounds great!

• @rs2000 said:

@Korakios said:

@LinearLineman said:

You can avoid ground loops mostly by powering the iPad and the monitor speakers from the same power distribution unit.
    The iPad phones output is quite a capable one because it can drive very low impedances.

@rs2000 pseudobalanced is not for ground loop ,but your tip is useful anyway :)

• be sure to set the headphone port to measurement mode, and be gentle with rhe jack, it will eventually fail

• @wellingtonCres said:
    be sure to set the headphone port to measurement mode, and be gentle with rhe jack, it will eventually fail

Really good tip here. I've started babying the jack lately as I've heard crackling sometimes during insertion.

• @wellingtonCres how do you make that setting adjustment, please?

• it is a setting in the host. it is in bm3, aum, and auria that i know of.

• Thanks, @wellingtonCres , I thought it was in the iPad.

• I have a long headphone to phono cable and then through a passive three way switcher box then to the monitors. Damned if my hearing can hear any problems - but that may not be saying much lol

• The primary reason to avoid plugging audio gear directly into a monitor is that there's no limiting/clipping provided by the mixer, which may prevent damage to the speakers. However, the iPad's 3.5mm jack is overwhelmingly designed to drive headphones at something approximating line level, so this shouldn't be a problem.

• @wellingtonCres said:
    be sure to set the headphone port to measurement mode, and be gentle with rhe jack, it will eventually fail

Can anyone give me the Cliff Notes version of what measurement mode is and whether I should have it on or off? I've seen that option in AudioShare and I think it says something about improving sound quality with it OFF, but I don't understand the pros & cons.

The 3.5mm jack was the eventual failure point of the first Apple device I ever owned (2005 iPod Shuffle) and I was traumatized by it. However, either I've taken better care of them, or they've designed them better, because I haven't had a problem with headphone jacks on that or any device since. INSTEAD, the blasted Lightning port failed on one or two of my iPhones, to the point that I really try to avoid using it as much as possible (other than for charging, etc.).

• Don't forget the Korg PlugKey option too for connections to speakers. The quality of the audio is so much better... my headphone jack picked up a lot of digital noises from the iPad's electronics. Getting the sound out of the iPad in a digital form that gets converted in an external interface is a good practice.

You also get a headphone jack on the Korg with a volume knob for them that also controls LINE-OUT (speaker) volumes. And the iPad head phone jack is still active so you could have a guest hear with headphones too. Good for giving lessons after midnight to the untapped market of folks working the night shift.

Any more advice and your head will explode so...

If you're on your bike... wear white at night. BOOM.

• Thanks, @McDtracy. I didn't realize the PlugKey had a line volume control. I thought it was just a headphone volume control. I am still in the Byzantine bazaar with a quirky now he's here, now he ain't salesman. Oh yes, Mr. Mike. I will fix everything. Do not worry! Frustrating!

• when measurement mode is on, the loudness boost that is used to pump up the volume for consumer headphones is disabled, making the port output line level.

• @LinearLineman said:
    Thanks, @McDtracy. I didn't realize the PlugKey had a line volume control. I thought it was just a headphone volume control. I am still in the Byzantine bazaar with a quirky now he's here, now he ain't salesman. Oh yes, Mr. Mike. I will fix everything. Do not worry! Frustrating!

If the speakers have volume controls that are easy to reach it's less of an issue.

• I have Mackie MR534s @McDtracy. The volume is always at max even thru the Roland line out. Wondering if I will get enough signal from the iPad p to get good volume.

• @LinearLineman said:
    I have Mackie MR534s @McDtracy. The volume is always at max even thru the Roland line out. Wondering if I will get enough signal from the iPad p to get good volume.

HUMOR FONT ON

Just duct tape them to hang over your ears like big headphones for extra volume.

HUMOR FONT OFF

I know you'll get everything just right as the pieces come together. Just keep buying replacements for anything that doesn't cut it. I've been doing that for 40 years and I'm pretty happy with the amount of stuff I have to "fix problems". I do admire those creatives with impeccably cabled and designed home studios.

My Casio PX-560 (with speakers), Presonus audiobox USB, 2018 iPad with CCK, audio cables between Presonus and Casio Line-ins and headphones is the most effective creative set up I've ever had. I can plug guitars, bass, mics right into the Presonus and record and upload to SoundCloud. Life is good.

I do have some Yamaha Studio Monitors I could mount on the wall and a MacBook I could also add but only if I ever needed to do better mastering. I have to learn to make better music first.

All a need is a few more Apps and time. Not enough free time (or free Apps).

• One of these attached to an extension cable works fine for direct connection to monitors.