Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

iPulsaret is on the Bus! Input/Output/Effect - Granulate everything!!!

Now you can Granulate every sound, every synth & every rhythm!

Comments

• I've been eagerly awaiting this update for weeks. Can't wait to try it out in the Audiobus filter slot. iDensity and iPulsaret (along with Grain Science) are my workhorse apps for sample manipulation.

• awesome! I bought identity which is really dope, wondering if the dev will give it the same effects slot treatment that ipulsaret got.

• Would love to see a video of this in action.

• edited March 2013

• edited March 2013

• If you had to choose just one between iPulsaret and Grain Science - which one would you go for?

• If you like pure and real tweakable Granular Synthesis....iPulsaret is your app

• @Sinapsya how about iPulsaret vs, iDensity?

• Hey guys, grain newbie here. I have Grain Science, Idensity and used to have Ableton years back. I was about to buy IPulsaret when I remembered I haven't been using Idensity a lot and here's the reason why. Everytime I would copy and paste a sample into it (ex. drum loop or vocal from an old song), it would have this slight stutter effect or tremolo. Like it wouldn't be clean even though I had all the settings and effects off. Now obviously I'm going to start mangling the sound but I'd like to be the one to mangle it and know just how much to mangle it, not have it mangled right away. Is this typical of grain synthesis? This was some also similar with Grain Science (to developer's credit, he did help me come up with a solution. Thanks!) when I tried to paste in a sound and have it time stretched across the keys. Even then, there was still a slight stutter.

My very first experience with granular synthesis was Ableton and never had this kind of effect. If I needed to timestrech or even paste in sound, never had this challenge so if I'm doing something incorrectly, pls advise. I just want to paste in a simple sample, say James Brown's "Hit me", into these apps, have it be clean, exactly how I sampled it (this is digital right?), and then start adding echo, filtering out low end, transposing it up, etc. But I want a clean slate to begin with, not stuttering. Thanks in advance and hopefully I'll be buying app fairly soon as well.

• @gjcyrus: I think the "stuttering" you're referring to is an effect caused by low grain lengths. You should try using higher grain lengths to alleviate this.

• @haunted - You're a genius, thanks man. That worked. That was also the solution given to me by the Grainscience dev for my sample time stretching challenge as well. The challenge I'm now having with Idensity is the more I increase the "grain density", the sample gets too loud and it starts to clip so I now have to reduce the "grain amplitude". I guess with granular synthesis, this is part of the fun, eh?

Okay, looks like I'll be giving Ipulsaret a shot. Here it goes! Thanks

• I make a blog where you can read all about Granular Synthesis: granular-synthesis.tumblr.com

Granular synthesis is a basic sound synthesis method that operates on the microsound time scale.
    A piece of music composed with fast and slow granular synthesis. Problems listening to this file? See media help.
    It is based on the same principle as sampling. However, the samples are not played back conventionally, but are instead split into small pieces of around 1 to 50ms. These small pieces are called grains.
    Multiple grains may be layered on top of each other, and may play at different speeds, phases, volume, and frequency. At low speeds of playback, the result is a soundscape, often a cloud, that is manipulable in a manner unlike that for natural sound sampling or other synthesis techniques. At high speeds, the result is heard as a note or notes of a novel timbre. By varying the waveform, envelope, duration, spatial position, and density of the grains, many different sounds can be produced.

See this special about Granular Synthsis

• Hey Sinapsya, just bought IPulsaret and it looks like a cool tool but I don't think my "Load" button is working on my iPhone. When I try and copy a sample or load any other built in samples, when I go back to keyboard, I just get the original tweety bird like sound. When I try to copy the built in samples and preview them, I can hear them just fine but it's the loading of the samples that's problematic. Here's what I'm doing:

1) Click on folder icon in lower right hand corner
    2) I'm now in File Manager and choose TimeAgo.wav
    3) It now gives me option to either Load, Audio Copy, Dropbox or Email
    4) I click on Load and am now returned to keyboard.
    5) Same sound, musical blue balls

Please help and thanks in advance

• Sorry, edit to above comment. What I meant to say in second sentence was "When I try and paste in a sample or load any other built in samples" Sorry for typo

• The folder on lower right corner is only for load sound....but now you need to select sound source (the third bottom on the top) and you want sample source, is the third again....if you see in wave source window there is the folder for sample load too, I prefer to take all in this window

• @sinapsya - Thank you for the explanation. I found the section you referenced. Thanks for an innovative app!

• Yes thank you..... haha I was playing earlier and did the same thing and said why isn't it changing, was going to research it. Thank you!

• Trick & Tips for use it in AudioBus Effect slot AND input live source:
    don't forget to Push a keyboard note for activate grain unit.

• Little news about iDensity: in The next update is added

• "Live/input Granulation" in AudioBus effect slot with Live waveform
    • Precise Milliseconds faders (now you can write your perfect value number)

Ps: I post a shot after :-)

• awesome, does this mean you can use idensity in the effects slot now?

• @Sinapsya: Are you the developer of iDensity & iPulsaret? Or a beta tester?

I love these apps. I'm not particularly good at creating synth presets, and I've always preferred sampling bits of videos and songs and then manipulating the samples. iDensity and iPulsaret are amazing for that. I'm putting together whole ambient tracks with little more than iDensity, iPulsaret and BeatMaker 2.

• edited March 2013

@haunted I make a graphic of this apps, have new idea & beta testing all new features...

• @hypoetical is in betatesting now...

• Here is the "Enter Value" option:
    Senza titolo

• hey @sinapsya or really anyone else i bought ipulsaret a few weeks ago to use as an effect. dig it in the input slot with my keyboard, but don't really understand how it works in the effects slot. it seems like i need to lock in a note first for it to play a sound... is that right? is there a general tutorial that i haven't seen on the devs website for how to run it as an effect? i'm sorry i've always been a terrible musician, and my adhd doesn't help at all, but i love running my guitar through effects. so any help?

• When you put it in effect you must lock a keyboard because it Process The audio only when you play a note like a vocoder

• I also just bought ipulsaret and could not get it to work in the effect slot until I read this thread, works great now but does not give any help or message that indicates you need to do that to get it to work in the effects slot. Makes it seem like it's broken because does not follow the pattern of other apps that just work when you drop them into the effect slot. But awesome app when you get it working!

• Sinapsya you video is privat , we cant see it

• Can't see the video , please make it public .
    Though I downloaded ipulsaret with great enthusiasm , I am not able to get anything meaningful out of it. The snapshot/presets are the only that I tweak around with it if take in some audio from the mic or even use it as audiobus fx, it's only jitter and the same harsh sound.
    I am sure that the order of the params or values maybe affecting it but still , can't use it as is and I guess I need more videos or tutorials !!!
    Would love to see some user vides and walk thus starting from scratch on building a sample....