Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Steinberg Acquires App Developer Xewton, Boosting Cubasis Development

I think the headline in Synthtopia oversells it a little bit, but this is interesting. Not sure what expertise/insight Xewton brings that Cubasis didn't have before, but if there's clip-launching in the works, that'll be interesting.

http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2018/06/05/steinberg-acquires-app-developer-xewton-boosting-cubasis-development/

Comments

• I say congrats to Xewton who have remained one of the leading pioneers of iOS music from the very early days :)

• intresting. maybe this is the first glimpse of a Cubasis DAW for Iphone.

• @ExAsperis99 said:
    I think the headline in Synthtopia oversells it a little bit, but this is interesting. Not sure what expertise/insight Xewton brings that Cubasis didn't have before, but if there's clip-launching in the works, that'll be interesting.

http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2018/06/05/steinberg-acquires-app-developer-xewton-boosting-cubasis-development/

Well Xewton are Music Studio and FLM2 so he’s pretty experienced in both iOS and Android mobile development.

• So, should we buy MusicStudio, in case Steinberg takes it down?

I've just never wanted to get it for iphone, but maybe now we should.

• edited June 2018

Sadly it’s probably not worth getting MS now. It’s been stuck in limbo for a year while he launched an Android version and has been working on feature parity between the 2 platforms so it doesn’t even support AU

Oddly enough Steinbergs press release was 30th May, but there’s no announcement on the Music Studio forum.

• edited June 2018

With this acquisition Cubasis is going to get a turbo boost in functionality.
    Music Studio can do some things that Cubasis cannot.
    The sampler is better, on screen keyboard is better, piano roll may be better too
    Creating your own instruments is better too....Steinberg is smart.

Creating instruments from samples in Music Studio

Creating instruments from samples in Cubasis

• edited June 2018

Exciting news! A few years ago, I’ve created a lot of free instruments for Musicstudio that are available in the “instruments and kits” section of the Music Studio website:

http://www.xewton.com/musicstudio/forum/viewforum.php?f=10

My user name there is Maarten1978.

I don’t know what agreement Steinberg and Xewton have made, but I’d love to see all these instruments integrated into Cubasis. I still love Musicstudio, but with audio tracks and a superior feature set, Cubasis would be a better host for the user instruments that were made for MusicStudio. So Steinberg, @LFS if you’re reading this....😉

• wimwim
    edited June 2018

@oldschoolwillie said:
    The sampler is better, on screen keyboard is better, piano roll may be better too
    Creating your own instruments is better too....

That logic doesn't follow. Purchasing a company doesn't magically plant features into a product. What they have purchased is developer resources and knowledge. Which means that they can improve the product faster. They will still follow a road map that is built from their own priorities. And as hinted in the quote from Lars Slowak, it's possible those resources might be used on other projects in addition to Cubasis.

If the goodies you mention are something they want to build into the product then yes, that's a big help. However, it's not like you can just cut and paste some code and viola! the features are there. And, if those goodies aren't a priority for them, then they won't show up at all. You could even argue that Steinberg doesn't agree with Xewton's design ideas ... otherwise they would have copied them in the first place.

Don't get me wrong, it's great news for the product. But jumping to conclusions about what it means is illogical. All it means is they have more skilled resources to bring to bear.

• edited June 2018

Sadly I can name a couple developers that Apple has stolen away and now we will never see a new app from them.

Don't even ask me I can't say.

For real.

Tell you this.

IF you know a great dev who used to be engaged on the forum and with users and enthusiastic and apps were awesome-----and then you never heard from them again........but their apps get minimal updates per iOS operating system WITH NO NEW FEATURES.

They are at Apple.

Take a moment.

The names will become clear.

• @BiancaNeve said:

@ExAsperis99 said:

Well Xewton are Music Studio and FLM2 so he’s pretty experienced in both iOS and Android mobile development.

Yeah, I think the main thing this signals is a desire to port Cubasis to Android so that they can fill a round trip gap for Cubase users. I wonder if the dev is selling outright or staying on for a while. Still good news and shows continued commitment.

• edited June 2018

@Maarten said:
    Exciting news! A few years ago, I’ve created a lot of free instruments for Musicstudio that are available in the “instruments and kits” section of the Music Studio website:

http://www.xewton.com/musicstudio/forum/viewforum.php?f=10

My user name there is Maarten1978.

I don’t know what agreement Steinberg and Xewton have made, but I’d love to see all these instruments integrated into Cubasis. I still love Musicstudio, but with audio tracks and a superior feature set, Cubasis would be a better host for the user instruments that were made for MusicStudio. So Steinberg, @LFS if you’re reading this....😉

Thanks for these, lots of fun stuff

an interesting side benefit of this resource, these .instr files “open in” FL Studio Mobile’s DirectWave directly from these links (a legacy of when FL Studio Mobile and MusicStudio shared code...)

• edited June 2018

@wim said:

@oldschoolwillie said:

That logic doesn't follow. Purchasing a company doesn't magically plant features into a product. What they have purchased is developer resources and knowledge. Which means that they can improve the product faster. They will still follow a road map that is built from their own priorities. And as hinted in the quote from Lars Slowak, it's possible those resources might be used on other projects in addition to Cubasis.

If the goodies you mention are something they want to build into the product then yes, that's a big help. However, it's not like you can just cut and paste some code and viola! the features are there. And, if those goodies aren't a priority for them, then they won't show up at all. You could even argue that Steinberg doesn't agree with Xewton's design ideas ... otherwise they would have copied them in the first place.

Don't get me wrong, it's great news for the product. But jumping to conclusions about what it means is illogical. All it means is they have more skilled resources to bring to bear.

With all due respect sir, if anyone here is illogical it is YOU.
    All I did was point out certain key features in Music Studio that IN MY OPINION
    are better executed in comparison to similar features in Cubasis.
    By NO means was I suggesting that Steinberg would definitively
    "cut and paste" as YOU termed these features into Cubasis.
    I am fully aware that there is a tedious and time consuming process,
    that will determine which feature set will be incorporated an which ones will not etc.
    Only the developers over at Steinberg have insight into what is coming down the pipeline.
    However for YOU to insinuate that I thought otherwise, and actually bring it to bare it in the woods concerns me.
    Next time, and I'm sure there will be a next time, it would be in your best interest to ask for clarity
    before making assumptions. The Audiobus Forum is a happy place let's try to keep it that way.

EXCERPT-"Lars Slowak, team lead & product planning manager commented: “Acquiring Xewton’s IP marks a significant technological step forward for Steinberg’s app development team. This will give Cubasis a boost, and who knows what else may come of it.”

"I repeat Lars says ": “Acquiring Xewton’s IP marks a significant technological step forward for Steinberg’s app development team."

I do NOT know what that means to YOU, but the term "technological step forward" implies that Xewton might have been in possession of some patents or new technology that Steinberg obviously did not have and needed.
    Hopefully we will be happy with the outcome of this great merger.

Steinberg Cubase wiki ( I leave you with a little food for the soul ) edification.......
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steinberg_Cubase

• wimwim
    edited June 2018

@oldschoolwillie said:

@wim said:

@oldschoolwillie said:

With all due respect sir, if anyone here is illogical it is YOU.
    All I did was point out certain key features in Music Studio that IN MY OPINION
    are better executed in comparison to similar features in Cubasis.
    By NO means was I suggesting that Steinberg would definitively
    "cut and paste" as YOU termed these features into Cubasis.
    I am fully aware that there is a tedious and time consuming process, that will determine which feature will be
    incorporated an which ones will not etc.
    Only the developers over at Steinberg have insight into what is coming down the pipeline.
    However for YOU to insinuate that I thought otherwise and actually run naked in the woods with it concerns me.
    Next time, and I'm sure there will be a next time, it would be in your best interest to ask for clarity
    before making assumptions. This Forum is a happy place let's try to keep it that way.

EXCERPT-"Lars Slowak, team lead & product planning manager commented: “Acquiring Xewton’s IP marks a significant technological step forward for Steinberg’s app development team. This will give Cubasis a boost, and who knows what else may come of it.”

"I repeat Lars says ": “Acquiring Xewton’s IP marks a significant technological step forward for Steinberg’s app development team."

I do NOT know what that means to YOU, but the term "technological step forward" implies that Xewton might have been in possession of some patents or new technology that Steinberg obviously did not have and needed.
    Hopefully we will be happy with the outcome of this great merger.

Steinberg Cubase wiki ( I leave you with a little food for the soul ) edification.......
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steinberg_Cubase

Um. Wow. OK. I’m not sure how anything I said set you off so, but sorry for ruining your day. I will make a side note note to be more careful responding to any of your posts, or avoid doing so in the future.

• edited June 2018

It’s a lot less harsh if you read it in the Gene Wilder as Willy Wonka voice, because even though you STOLE fizzy lifting drinks, you’re about to be given the keys to the factory. I think.

• Or maybe after inhaling helium.

• Um. Wow. OK. I’m not sure how anything I said set you off so, but sorry for ruining your day. I will make a side note note to be more careful responding to any of your posts, or avoid doing so in the future.

F.Y.I. when YOU state that someone is Illogical
    It is low key calling someone stupid.
    Illogical definition ....
    https://www.google.com/search?q=illogical+definition&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b-1

Choose your words wisely

• @oldschoolwillie said:
    Next time, and I'm sure there will be a next time, it would be in your best interest to ask for clarity before making assumptions. The Audiobus Forum is a happy place let's try to keep it that way.

So terse!

• @wim said:
    Or maybe after inhaling helium.

Illogical and Jumping to conclusions...............LOL

• @ksound said:

@oldschoolwillie said:
    Next time, and I'm sure there will be a next time, it would be in your best interest to ask for clarity before making assumptions. The Audiobus Forum is a happy place let's try to keep it that way.

So terse!

illogical and jumping to conclusions......LOL

• @oldschoolwillie said:
    Um. Wow. OK. I’m not sure how anything I said set you off so, but sorry for ruining your day. I will make a side note note to be more careful responding to any of your posts, or avoid doing so in the future.

F.Y.I. when YOU state that someone is Illogical
    It is low key calling someone stupid.
    Illogical definition ....
    https://www.google.com/search?q=illogical+definition&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b-1

Choose your words wisely

Pure energy

...waiting to see if anyone gets the reference.

• Lighten up, Francis.

• Very interesting, I wonder what IP they are referring to....as far as I can tell MS2 doesn't do anything particularly unique on iOS.....maybe the IP is related to Android ?
    Only time will tell, but whatever happens the Steinberg Apps team growing can only be a good thing :)

• @RUST( i )K said:
    Sadly I can name a couple developers that Apple has stolen away and now we will never see a new app from them.

Don't even ask me I can't say.

Why not?

Surely, it isn’t a big secret that someone has accepted a job offer from Apple.

• Hi, this is Alex, developer of Music Studio!
    There are absolutely no plans to discontinue the Music Studio app. Instead the opposite is the case, and we will release a maintenance app update very soon. Alongside, there are long-term plans to further develop the app. :)

• @AlexG said:
    Hi, this is Alex, developer of Music Studio!
    There are absolutely no plans to discontinue the Music Studio app. Instead the opposite is the case, and we will release a maintenance app update very soon. Alongside, there are long-term plans to further develop the app. :)

Congratulations on the deal with Steinberg! And excellent news about the future of Music Studio. Thanks for checking in, your work is much appreciated here.

• @Littlewoodg said:

@AlexG said:

Congratulations on the deal with Steinberg! And excellent news about the future of Music Studio. Thanks for checking in, your work is much appreciated here.

+1 to all of that.

• @AlexG said:

I still have lots of love for MusicStudio...my first ever DAW. I guess like any first love, it’ll remain in a special place for me. Fantastic news about updates; looking forward to what will happen to the app.

• @Littlewoodg said:

@TozBourne said:
    I still have lots of love for MusicStudio...my first ever DAW. I guess like any first love, it’ll remain in a special place for me.

The update just arrived, hope you like it:
    https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/26803/music-studio-2-10-for-ios-released

• I wish they'd ship more bloody double ball-end bass strings for their silly Steinberg double bloody ball end system so I don't have to pay double bloody prices from some double ball end geezer on eBay for knock-off's.

Sorry about that, carry on.

• Thanks @AlexG for keping wild speculations in check :)
    If I had to name an easy-to-use DAW next to NanoStudio, I'd have to say MusicStudio. Great combination of simplicity and features (better MIDI spec, useful Chord Memory, and a keyboard sampler).

BTW, is it still possible to import DirectWave banks in order to create sampler instruments with velocity layers?