Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Cubasis: Massive problems with freezing tracks

I was hunting down the problems I had with the audio files for the Piano Poll 2 https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/26407/the-piano-poll-part-2-with-new-samples

To compare Cubasis and Auria Pro, I used a most simple MIDI file and tried to freeze it for a Synth (mood) and a Sampler (Ravenscroft), both loaded as AU in the default setup.

I did this once and then repeated with the AU Compatibility modus:

Comments

• tjatja
    edited June 2018

In this state, Cubasis is nothing but unusable, @LFS

A DAW just needs to work - if need to check every file produced or need to try 3 different variants of freezing or additionally using audio tracks for IAA Apps, it just eats my time!

• edited June 2018

GarageBand also has those kind of issues with AU, iOS DAW workflow in unreliable at this state.

• At least Mood freeze fine here using any of the 3 modes in Cubasis 2.4.1 on my iPad Air 2, iOS11.4.

• All hail AU as the future and that it is already better than IAA, but apparently, it is not!!!

As last resort, I send the MIDI to an IAA Audi Track - the result looks astonishing:

• @Samu said:
    At least Mood freeze fine here using any of the 3 modes in Cubasis 2.4.1 on my iPad Air 2, iOS11.4.

I also have both iOS and Cubasis at the latest versions!
    But I am on an iPad Pro 9.7 from 2016? 2017?

• @tja said:

I also have both iOS and Cubasis at the latest versions!
    But I am on an iPad Pro 9.7 from 2016? 2017?

Kinda makes me feel happy I've not upgraded my Air 2 to anything newer apart from keeping the iOS up-to-date. Just hoping iOS12 will be supported on my Air 2 :)

Don't know when the Cubasis 2.5 update will drop as it should bring some 'Pro' optimisations at least to the UI.

• I tried to open a thread on the Cubasis forum.

• edited June 2018

I have Cubasis on a new machine will test...

• This stuff is a pain, and a real flow-stopper.
    When these convenient methods fail, I fall back to the old way of just recording the track into the DAW in real-time. That still works, and hopefully never gets broken by an iOS update.

This seems more of a general AU problem, since it happens in GarageBand as well. I am curious as to what Steinberg has to say about it, so please share any info @tja .

• Looks similar to the old bug where the audio would be stretched when trying to freeze audio using anything but a buffersize of 512.....

• edited June 2018

I really hope it’s not a covert plan by Apple to force us all to use Garaband :o :#

Cubasis is my top go to DAW followed by Auria and BM3. Buy I’m really hoping these AU issues get ironed out. So far Synthmaster One is freezing perfectly using any of the two compatibility modes in settings. I wonder if @LFS might get the dev team to reach out to the Synthmaster dev and see what the set up is to make more apps compatible. Or perhaps it may not even be a Cubasis issue but a programming issue because this would explain why some Synths freeze perfectly while others don’t.

• @MusicMan4Christ said:
    I really hope it’s not a covert plan by Apple to force us all to use Garaband :o :#

Unlikely - since GarageBand routinely has problems rendering AU plugins :)

• Out of curiosity, did it work properly in Auria Pro?

• @theconnactic said:
    Out of curiosity, did it work properly in Auria Pro?

Yes

• @AndyPlankton said:
    Looks similar to the old bug where the audio would be stretched when trying to freeze audio using anything but a buffersize of 512.....

That’s a good one, I remember that too. @tja, maybe check your buffer settings and try 512.

• @wigglelights said:

@AndyPlankton said:
    Looks similar to the old bug where the audio would be stretched when trying to freeze audio using anything but a buffersize of 512.....

That’s a good one, I remember that too. @tja, maybe check your buffer settings and try 512.

I cannot find such a setting.

I have "Large recording buffer" enabled and Hardware Latency set to Medium.
    Nothing that seems to apply to AU or IAA and nothing that include "Frames" or "ms".

:o

• @tja said:

@wigglelights said:

@AndyPlankton said:

I cannot find such a setting.

I have "Large recording buffer" enabled and Hardware Latency set to Medium.
    Nothing that seems to apply to AU or IAA and nothing that include "Frames" or "ms".

:o

I think they simplified the settings....so it is the Latency setting you need, not sure which of the 'new' ones is 512...maybe worth just trying a couple to see if it makes any difference.

• I tested Mood and Ravenscroft freezes with no issues.
    iPad Pro 10.5, latest iOS
    Sample rate 44.1 kHz
    Bit resolution 16
    “Hardware Latency” Low
    “Large Recording Buffer” Off
    “Real-time Mixdown Freeze” Off
    “Audio Unit Mixdown Capability Mode” Off

• I’m starting to believe this is not a Cubasis issue but a synth developers programming issue. I think posting which work and which don’t might help update these apps.

• @MusicMan4Christ said:
    I’m starting to believe this is not a Cubasis issue but a synth developers programming issue. I think posting which work and which don’t might help update these apps.

If it’s, why did it work fine in Auria Pro?

• Good one. Maybe there’s a setting in the Synths that is working in Auria and not Cubasis. Why do some work in Cubasis but not in Auria?

• edited June 2018

@theconnactic said:

@MusicMan4Christ said:
    I’m starting to believe this is not a Cubasis issue but a synth developers programming issue. I think posting which work and which don’t might help update these apps.

If it’s, why did it work fine in Auria Pro?

Because Auria uses different buffersizes when freezing/offline rendering (likely smaller)? Just taking a guess.

• @MusicMan4Christ said:
    Good one. Maybe there’s a setting in the Synths that is working in Auria and not Cubasis. Why do some work in Cubasis but not in Auria?

That’s also a valid point, and adding to @brambos’ educated guess above, I think that points to the hosts, not the synths themselves, as the root of the problem.

• @theconnactic said:

@MusicMan4Christ said:
    Good one. Maybe there’s a setting in the Synths that is working in Auria and not Cubasis. Why do some work in Cubasis but not in Auria?

That’s also a valid point, and adding to @brambos’ educated guess above, I think that points to the hosts, not the synths themselves, as the root of the problem.

Perhaps. We know that some plugins erroneously set the maximum allowed buffersize to 512 (because that's how it is hardcoded in Apple's samplecode). If the host then still uses a higher buffersize during offline rendering you'll get all sorts of undefined behavior.

• @Littlewoodg said:
    I tested Mood and Ravenscroft freezes with no issues.
    iPad Pro 10.5, latest iOS
    Sample rate 44.1 kHz
    Bit resolution 16
    “Hardware Latency” Low
    “Large Recording Buffer” Off
    “Real-time Mixdown Freeze” Off
    “Audio Unit Mixdown Capability Mode” Off

I am going to test this setup!

I fear, that the different versions and sizes of the "Pro" may be part of the problem.

• tjatja
    edited June 2018

@Littlewoodg That looks indeed much better!

• tjatja
    edited June 2018

Deleted: In Auria I load the new MIDI over some other MIDI.
    Going to compare again B)

Auria Pro did cut the tails from the mood file.... and I cannot find a way to change this.

Then, I compared the Ravenscroft for Cubasis and Auria Pro:

I am out for now.
    I had some hope that those files would be equal or very near.

• @tja said:

A DAW just needs to work - if need to check every file produced or need to try 3 different variants of freezing or additionally using audio tracks for IAA Apps, it just eats my time!

I agree wholeheartedly. I always record my midis into audio tracks the old way.

• .> @Kühl said:

@tja said:

I agree wholeheartedly. I always record my midis into audio tracks the old way.

With IAA Apps, I know how to do this, but what about AU?

Did I forget something?