Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Recommended sequencers for AUM?

Does there exist a MIDI sequencer that I can use in AUM that I could possibly also route to Rozeta? Latch mode in Arpeggio is cool but just the one chord gets a little tiresome. :D

Comments

• Cells is actually great for this. Groove Rider is a great performance sequencer and it now outputs MIDI and works well in AUM. With AUM's MIDI channel filter you can even route two or more sequencer tracks from Groove Rider to the same MIDI destination.

• @bcrichards said:
    Cells is actually great for this. Groove Rider is a great performance sequencer and it now outputs MIDI and works well in AUM. With AUM's MIDI channel filter you can even route two or more sequencer tracks from Groove Rider to the same MIDI destination.

As in, "play this set of chords, now play this set of chords"? Hmm!

• You can use Rozeta Arpeggio to arpeggiate the chords Rozeta Cells plays. You can see it in action here:

The basic set up is this:

1) Play the chord progression you want into Cells
    2) Set up a new channel with Arpeggio, and set Arpeggio to have Cells as the MIDI source
    3) Set up a new channel with your synth, and set the synth to have Arpeggio as the MIDI source

Now Cells will play the chords and Arpeggio will arpeggiate them.

• @dvlmusic said:
    You can use Rozeta Arpeggio to arpeggiate the chords Rozeta Cells plays. You can see it in action here:

2) Set up a new channel with Arpeggio, and set Arpeggio to have Cells as the MIDI source
    3) Set up a new channel with your synth, and set the synth to have Arpeggio as the MIDI source

Clearly I needed to spend more time in Cells! Thanks!

• @JoshuaRex said:

@dvlmusic said:
    You can use Rozeta Arpeggio to arpeggiate the chords Rozeta Cells plays. You can see it in action here:

Clearly I needed to spend more time in Cells! Thanks!

You just need to think creatively with Rozeta. I have another video on how to route Rozeta in AUM:

You can get some really cool results when you have them working in tandem with each other. There are a number of other videos on my channel where I use the Rozeta suite in interesting ways to build 80's-style funk grooves.

• I think Rozeta modules were designed as a modular system. Sure, they each work wonders on their own, but creating layers of control between the modules really taps the potential of the suite as a whole.
    Everyone should watch @dvlmusic videos if you have not considered the possibilities before.

• edited April 2018

@CracklePot said:
    Everyone should watch @dvlmusic videos if you have not considered the possibilities before.

^^^^^This.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVxKApEDhzyObG0JXqVdvCQ

:wink:

• @dvlmusic said:

Nicely done. Your style of presentation is very listenable and watchable!

Good stuff!

• Thank you all for the kind feedback - I really am psyched that you guys and gals are getting something out of these. Makes me want to do a few more :smiley:

As always, if you have questions or want me to do a video on a specific topic or app, let me know and I'll do my best. I've got a couple of cool ones in the bag already for you, coming soon....

• edited April 2018

Xequence is also perfect to use with AUM, you can even sequence CC’s. Good trio with Rozeta too.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @Janosax said:
    Xequence is also perfect to use with AUM, you can even sequence CC’s. Good trio with Rozeta too.

I have been exploring that, too. Xequence is also great for capturing mutating Rozeta Midi.

• @d4d0ug said:
    Something I’ve started to enjoy... sending midi from X0X > ARP > pick your drum machine. Just saying.

That's a cool idea.... I'll have to give that a go.

@CracklePot I like Xequence a lot, but since I got Cubasis I've been forgetting to use it. There's a ton of functionality packed into Xequence that I've not come close to exploring....

• @bcrichards said:
    Cells is actually great for this. Groove Rider is a great performance sequencer and it now outputs MIDI and works well in AUM. With AUM's MIDI channel filter you can even route two or more sequencer tracks from Groove Rider to the same MIDI destination.

@bcrichards You mean like setting up scenes? (Groove Rider)

• @dvlmusic said:

@d4d0ug said:
    Something I’ve started to enjoy... sending midi from X0X > ARP > pick your drum machine. Just saying.

@CracklePot I like Xequence a lot, but since I got Cubasis I've been forgetting to use it. There's a ton of functionality packed into Xequence that I've not come close to exploring....

Do you mean you recently got Cubasis?
    I recently got into Xequence. I really like it, so I have been singing its praises lately. I really like Cubasis as well. You are in for a good time if you are new to Cubasis.
    I have really been liking having Xequence in the mix when doing jams or experimental sketching. Still, if I know where I am going with a definite goal in mind, I would go with Cubasis for sure. It is great for bringing everything together into one main app to (hopefully) get to a finishing stage. Cubasis is just so solid and full-featured, and it is very comfortable to use. It just feels so familiar with its linear DAW workflow. And Steinberg and Lars are a great team to have to offer support and keep Cubasis stable and well organized as its feature set grows.

• @JoshuaRex said:

@bcrichards said:

Yeah, you can setup different 4 bar loops for 16 tracks and switch between them live. The fact that you can mute/unmute individual steps, and play with step probability and conditions extends those 4 bars by a lot. What I meant by routing two or more tracks to one instrument in AUM is that you could have two separate tracks in Groove Rider controlling 1 synthesizer (or a Rozeta instance) in AUM. Throw in a varied step length for one Groove Rider track (maybe a 16 step loop and an additional 13 step loop on the other track) and some step probability and you have a very cool, evolving, unpredictable chord sequence feeding into your Rozeta Arp.

• @CracklePot said:

@dvlmusic said:

@d4d0ug said:

Do you mean you recently got Cubasis?
    I recently got into Xequence. I really like it, so I have been singing its praises lately. I really like Cubasis as well. You are in for a good time if you are new to Cubasis.
    I have really been liking having Xequence in the mix when doing jams or experimental sketching. Still, if I know where I am going with a definite goal in mind, I would go with Cubasis for sure. It is great for bringing everything together into one main app to (hopefully) get to a finishing stage. Cubasis is just so solid and full-featured, and it is very comfortable to use. It just feels so familiar with its linear DAW workflow. And Steinberg and Lars are a great team to have to offer support and keep Cubasis stable and well organized as its feature set grows.

I bought Xequence fairly close after it was released, and I'd been using Auria Pro for awhile. I got a Cubasis code in the last couple months and have been using that ever since.

• I would throw quantum in this mix as well.

• @bcrichards said:

@JoshuaRex said:

@bcrichards said:

Yeah, you can setup different 4 bar loops for 16 tracks and switch between them live. The fact that you can mute/unmute individual steps, and play with step probability and conditions extends those 4 bars by a lot. What I meant by routing two or more tracks to one instrument in AUM is that you could have two separate tracks in Groove Rider controlling 1 synthesizer (or a Rozeta instance) in AUM. Throw in a varied step length for one Groove Rider track (maybe a 16 step loop and an additional 13 step loop on the other track) and some step probability and you have a very cool, evolving, unpredictable chord sequence feeding into your Rozeta Arp.

You should make a video demonstrating this. I'm intrigued.

• @JoshuaRex said:

@bcrichards said:

@JoshuaRex said:

@bcrichards said:

You should make a video demonstrating this. I'm intrigued.

I wouldn't even know where to start making a video tutorial for iPad. Something to consider for the future though...

• Quantum is able to start AUM's transport if you turn on MMC control in Quantum's App settings and enable MIDI control from Quantum in AUM. Also check the Slave/Master and AB Link Phase settings in Quantum's setup menu. Once you get things set correctly, press play in Quantum and the whole thing starts at the beginning and plays in sync.

• @Janosax said:

I came here to say Xequence, which I'm still a huge fan of. With Xequence I'm basically back to thinking of AUM as purely a mixer again. I'd love to know more about how you're using Xequence with Rozeta. The closest I've come to making Rozeta work with Xequence is using notes in Xequence to trigger phrases in various Rozeta modules, but it gets really complicated and I often lose track of how songs have been set up far before ever completing them. If there was some way I could get Quantum and Rozeta to work nicely with Xequence/AUM, I think I'd be perfectly content (for a while) with iOS music making.

• edited April 2018

@gleandibson said:

@Janosax said:

I came here to say Xequence, which I'm still a huge fan of. With Xequence I'm basically back to thinking of AUM as purely a mixer again. I'd love to know more about how you're using Xequence with Rozeta. The closest I've come to making Rozeta work with Xequence is using notes in Xequence to trigger phrases in various Rozeta modules, but it gets really complicated and I often lose track of how songs have been set up far before ever completing them. If there was some way I could get Quantum and Rozeta to work nicely with Xequence/AUM, I think I'd be perfectly content (for a while) with iOS music making.

It may lie in examining the different apps strengths and apply that in your approach to using them together.

Quantum and Rozeta, for me, are for generating sequences using cool, unique techniques. Both apps have the ability to generate midi data as well as be affected by incoming midi data, both have powerful random and mutation type features, and the ability to play in polyrhythmic timing, etc. I use these in the beginning of the chain or process.

Xequence is where I would capture the sequences generated by Quantum and Rozeta if I wanted to get some of the self-generating randomness under control, use selected parts of a long, non-repeating sequence to create structure, or just edit some small aspect that is hard to adjust for in the generating app.
    Xequence has PolyHymnia now, so it also can be used in the beginning part with Quantum and Rozeta too. Xequence is also great if you want to play the keyboard or drum maps to create parts to complement the generated midi, or if you just have some specific ideas you want to capture.

AUM is what really brings it all together. It hosts the sound generating apps that you are driving with midi, it is where you connect all the midi together, it hosts Rozeta, it is where you add FX, and it is where you record the audio files.

The technique that I am using to control AUM and hence Rozeta, and Quantum as far as transport control is host Quantum and AUM in Audiobus and use the Audiobus play button and Link to get synchronized playback. For AUM, just make sure Link is enabled. In Quantum, enable Link but set these options as well:

Be sure to enable this on all of your sequence racks. I only have one rack in the screenshot. Also, I am not sure why there are 2 buttons to enable, but turning both on seems to work fine.

The only pain is getting Xequence to start with the rest of them. You can’t host it, it can’t slave to another app, and it doesn’t have the latest Link version yet. So I just use the cycle start in Link to try to get it synced up. I am sure another fine update to Xequence will drop soon, so I just work with what I have for now.

Also, when app/midi connections get too out of hand, I usually draw a crappy flowchart to help me visualize and keep things straight.

• @CracklePot said:

The technique that I am using to control AUM and hence Rozeta, and Quantum as far as >transport control is host Quantum and AUM in Audiobus and use the Audiobus play
    button and Link to get synchronized playback.

Why do you need Audiobus and AUM both in this scenario?

• @Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr said:

@CracklePot said:

The technique that I am using to control AUM and hence Rozeta, and Quantum as far as >transport control is host Quantum and AUM in Audiobus and use the Audiobus play

I’m just using Audiobus to host AUM and Quantum, so I can start both together using the Audiobus transport and Link.
    There is a way to get Quantum to control AUM, but it is more complicated and Quantum specific. I am trying to take advantage of the Audiobus ability to use Link to control hosted apps as much as possible now. It simplifies things tremendously.

• @CracklePot said:

@Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr said:

@CracklePot said:

I’m just using Audiobus to host AUM and Quantum, so I can start both together using the Audiobus transport and Link.
    There is a way to get Quantum to control AUM, but it is more complicated and Quantum specific. I am trying to take advantage of the Audiobus ability to use Link to control hosted apps as much as possible now. It simplifies things tremendously.

AUM's play button won't start Quantum?

@CracklePot said:

@CracklePot said:

Don’t know. Why not try it and let us know?

• @CracklePot said:
    Quantum and Rozeta, for me, are for generating sequences using cool, unique techniques. Both apps have the ability to generate midi data as well as be affected by incoming midi data, both have powerful random and mutation type features, and the ability to play in polyrhythmic timing, etc. I use these in the beginning of the chain or process.

>

Thank you for taking the time to write this post. This is a cool approach and inspires me to go home and get this set up. I love Quantum as well, but never found a way to make all the pieces work together. For me the missing piece is definitely getting Xequence to start with everything else.

• @CracklePot said:

@CracklePot said:

@CracklePot said:

I bought Quantum on Black Friday, but have yet to learn it. Someday...

@CracklePot said:

@CracklePot said:

@CracklePot said:

I bought Quantum on Black Friday, but have yet to learn it. Someday...

This for sure. I started to make some headway with Quantum but then got quickly distracted by Rozeta and haven't been back since.