Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Xequence | MIDI Workstation: "Learn Me Por Favor"

Ok, I tried.

And tried.

I am man enough to admit when I don't get it.

I don't get it.

What is the app most like using?

I feels like the Auria "feel" touching the sections. Not my favorite.

But, it does look like Genome and Modstep a little.

What is the layout supposed to look like putting together?

I guess I keep trying on the iPhone but I keep getting turned around or end up with sections of midi splattered here and there.

Is the line per channel?

Is there a reason things don't unfold chronologically?

Please help me understand this GUI and why I feel like I hit all these buttons but just want to loop 1 bar midi sections to 2 apps at once.

Is there a video that explains how to do a set up step by step and explains as it does it?

I am looking for a Genome or Modstep for my phone.

Infinite is a great app.

But, I feel like this app has much to offer. I just am hoping for it to click already. Judging by the lack of videos I am guessing I may not be alone on this one.

The dev is super helpful, so maybe one more time he could walk us (me! LOL) through it.

Thanks

Comments

• edited February 2018

Hello.

I can only answer those questions that are actually questions ;) so I'll try my best. In general, it's best to just try every button and menu in the app, many show pop-up hints the first time you use them. If you can ask more specific and detailed questions, that would be helpful.

Most like using the MIDI part of a desktop sequencer, like Logic or Cubase, before the advent of VST et al.

but just want to loop 1 bar midi sections to 2 apps at once.

1) Create two instruments on the instruments screen (MIDI icon at the top left), tap the cogwheel on each of them and assign them ("Select MIDI Destination") to the 2 target apps
    2) Back in the arranger, create two tracks, click on their cogwheels, and assign them to those two instruments
    3) Activate draw mode (bottom left "pen" icon), and drag in the empty arranger area to create two parts at the same position, drag them 1 bar long each.
    4) Tap the loop menu (center top, the loop icon), and select "Selection".
    5) Disable draw mode again, and double-tap one of the created parts to open the Pianoroll editor, then record away.

You can of course also just select a track and hit record, the app will create parts automatically as needed.

This is the closest you will get. :)

If you can be more specific, I'd be happy to help further. It's funny because I personally think that Xequence's user interface is much simpler and more approachable than Genome or Modstep, but that just shows just how different people are! :)

Here's a very generic video that shows some very basic stuff, reproducing the beginning of "Robert Miles - Children" in the process :)

P.D.: To stay with the Spanish theme: DE NADA :)

• @SevenSystems said:

Gotta disagree with that statement (only). Infinite Looper and BeatHawk are much closer to those paradigms. Very little like them IMO ... in a very good way though. :)

Xequence is a linear time-line based sequencer. Auria and Cubasis with only midi out, no sound. It bridges the gap between that and something like Modstep a bit by having repeating patterns that can loop themselves until the timeline advances to the point where there's a new pattern.

If you're getting sections of midi splattered everywhere, then you just need to move them where you want in the timeline. Make sure the cursor is at the point in the timeline where you want what you record to be when you start recording to avoid having to move things around.

At a very basic conceptual level, each row can represent an instrument. But, really it's more like each row represents a midi output of some sort. For instance, you could have one row outputting notes to a midi channel pointed at RuizMaker. But you could also have a row outputting just the notes for the kick and snare, a second for the hats, and a third for automation to keep things from all getting jumbled up.

If you're not familiar with Auria or Cubasis, then probably nothing I said makes sense. If not, then maybe think of Gadget, except with the instruments running down the side instead of across the top and the timeline going only horizontally, not vertically. (Gadget is a weird comparison though since its timeline goes horizontally and vertically).

Ah well, I give up. I'm probably just confusing you more than helping. That's what happens when you down a Monster drink and should really be working rather than stealing time on a forum. ;)

• @wim said:
    Ah well, I give up. I'm probably just confusing you more than helping.

Nah, it was brilliant! We will turn @RUST( i )K into a Xequence Jedi Master errrr of some sort (gotta find that light saber though...) ;) (that's the kind of stupid humor you get when you should be either working or sleeping...)

• @SevenSystems said:
    Hello.

I can only answer those questions that are actually questions ;) so I'll try my best. In general, it's best to just try every button and menu in the app, many show pop-up hints the first time you use them. If you can ask more specific and detailed questions, that would be helpful.

Most like using the MIDI part of a desktop sequencer, like Logic or Cubase, before the advent of VST et al.

but just want to loop 1 bar midi sections to 2 apps at once.

1) Create two instruments on the instruments screen (MIDI icon at the top left), tap the cogwheel on each of them and assign them ("Select MIDI Destination") to the 2 target apps
    2) Back in the arranger, create two tracks, click on their cogwheels, and assign them to those two instruments
    3) Activate draw mode (bottom left "pen" icon), and drag in the empty arranger area to create two parts at the same position, drag them 1 bar long each.
    4) Tap the loop menu (center top, the loop icon), and select "Selection".
    5) Disable draw mode again, and double-tap one of the created parts to open the Pianoroll editor, then record away.

You can of course also just select a track and hit record, the app will create parts automatically as needed.

If you can be more specific, I'd be happy to help further. It's funny because I personally think that Xequence's user interface is much simpler and more approachable than Genome or Modstep, but that just shows just how different people are! :)

Here's a very generic video that shows some very basic stuff, reproducing the beginning of "Robert Miles - Children" in the process :)

P.D.: To stay with the Spanish theme: DE NADA :)

Thanks so much!

• @wim said:

@SevenSystems said:

Gotta disagree with that statement (only). Infinite Looper and BeatHawk are much closer to those paradigms. Very little like them IMO ... in a very good way though. :)

Xequence is a linear time-line based sequencer. Auria and Cubasis with only midi out, no sound. It bridges the gap between that and something like Modstep a bit by having repeating patterns that can loop themselves until the timeline advances to the point where there's a new pattern.

If you're getting sections of midi splattered everywhere, then you just need to move them where you want in the timeline. Make sure the cursor is at the point in the timeline where you want what you record to be when you start recording to avoid having to move things around.

At a very basic conceptual level, each row can represent an instrument. But, really it's more like each row represents a midi output of some sort. For instance, you could have one row outputting notes to a midi channel pointed at RuizMaker. But you could also have a row outputting just the notes for the kick and snare, a second for the hats, and a third for automation to keep things from all getting jumbled up.

If you're not familiar with Auria or Cubasis, then probably nothing I said makes sense. If not, then maybe think of Gadget, except with the instruments running down the side instead of across the top and the timeline going only horizontally, not vertically. (Gadget is a weird comparison though since its timeline goes horizontally and vertically).

Ah well, I give up. I'm probably just confusing you more than helping. That's what happens when you down a Monster drink and should really be working rather than stealing time on a forum. ;)

I appreciate your feedback.

• @SevenSystems what’s the best way to get Rozeta MIDI into Xequence?

• @gusgranite I've not yet extensively played around with MIDI Audio Units, but as long as they expose a virtual MIDI port or source, they should be either selectable in Xequence's "Sources" dialog (top left "..." Settings screen -> MIDI / Recording), or it should be possible to select Xequence as the destination in Rozeta, and then set Xequence's Sources to "Any".

If Rozeta doesn't expose its MIDI in a "normal" way (i.e. apart from AU), you'll probably need some kind of "AU to MIDI converter", but maybe @brambos can help?

• @SevenSystems said:
    @gusgranite I've not yet extensively played around with MIDI Audio Units, but as long as they expose a virtual MIDI port or source, they should be either selectable in Xequence's "Sources" dialog (top left "..." Settings screen -> MIDI / Recording), or it should be possible to select Xequence as the destination in Rozeta, and then set Xequence's Sources to "Any".

If Rozeta doesn't expose its MIDI in a "normal" way (i.e. apart from AU), you'll probably need some kind of "AU to MIDI converter", but maybe @brambos can help?

Does Xequence expose a virtual IN port? If so, just point the rozeta sequencer at it via AUM.

If not, you can use MIDIFlow (or MIDIFire, I imagine) to do this. In either of the MFs, create a virtual MIDI port. Name it something obvious. You should now see it as a MIDI destination in AUM. In Xequence, select it as the MIDI input/source.

• @syrupcore it can do either. If "Sources" is set to "Any", it will expose a Virtual MIDI destination to which other apps can connect (and which they can see). If "Any" is disabled, Xequence will instead itself connect to the MIDI Sources selected in its dialog.

• @syrupcore said:

@SevenSystems said:
    @gusgranite I've not yet extensively played around with MIDI Audio Units, but as long as they expose a virtual MIDI port or source, they should be either selectable in Xequence's "Sources" dialog (top left "..." Settings screen -> MIDI / Recording), or it should be possible to select Xequence as the destination in Rozeta, and then set Xequence's Sources to "Any".

Does Xequence expose a virtual IN port? If so, just point the rozeta sequencer at it via AUM.

If not, you can use MIDIFlow (or MIDIFire, I imagine) to do this. In either of the MFs, create a virtual MIDI port. Name it something obvious. You should now see it as a MIDI destination in AUM. In Xequence, select it as the MIDI input/source.

What is the value of MIDI Fire for everyday music making say with an app like this?

• Well Xenquence just got a major update, and it includes the one feature I’ve been praying for— Auto-add Controllers for MIDI CC input! You no longer have to pre-define controllers. It will just see I coming CC and add it to your track automatically. Great for working with hardware synths. Intua please take note!

• @SevenSystems said:
    @syrupcore it can do either. If "Sources" is set to "Any", it will expose a Virtual MIDI destination to which other apps can connect (and which they can see). If "Any" is disabled, Xequence will instead itself connect to the MIDI Sources selected in its dialog.

So no need for either MF app rustik. Set this to "any" and then route your Rozeta plugin(s) to it from within AUM's MIDI mapper.

• What do the updated Drum Maps IAP bring?

• @ExAsperis99: You can try drum maps without the IAP, all editing functions etc. work as normal. Just when you actually PLAY the pads, there's a notification asking you to purchase the IAP if you are happy with the rest of the features.

• @SevenSystems said:
    @ExAsperis99: You can try drum maps without the IAP, all editing functions etc. work as normal. Just when you actually PLAY the pads, there's a notification asking you to purchase the IAP if you are happy with the rest of the features.

Thanks. But what, um... Are there templates or something? Because if you have an option to press a button in Xequence and play pads that drive Patterning or MV08....!

• edited February 2018

@ExAsperis99 yes, there are 9 included templates, you can access them via the "Maps" button in the bottom toolbar (once you switched the keyboard to drum maps mode -- this is done by tapping on the "Keyboard icon" in the bottom left and in the dropdown, choosing the topmost option (pads icon)).

There's actually a template for MV08 included, but of course you can create and save your own maps.