Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

guitarism is on the bus!

Comments

• Too many unknown variables, i.e. your percentage, number of sales, your costs to get an app developer licence, etc.

• Aw c'mon I want to see some numbers :) I'm only asking for guesses at daily revenue, which doesn't include license costs etc.

• There we go! @PaulB weighs in at $6 / day. Others?

• Well I believe in your app 10x more than PaulB so I'll say $60.

• I'll go somewhere between at $20 per day.

• FYI, California (where I'm at) minimum wage is $7.80 per hour. At 8 hrs a day that would total $62.40
    So basically you're all guessing that guitarism is making less than minimum wage :)

• Probably even less with the price drop :-) .

• @Keebo Weirdly enough, revenue doesn't seem to change much with price changes :)

• edited February 2013

Well Rhism, the reasoning behind you asking this question could be putting us all off. Either you are ready to tell us it's made you rich or you want to break it to us that you make almost nothing out of it and it's just a labor of love. I'd like to think you're making enough to make it worth your while but as long as you're happy with your endeavor, that's the main thing.

• @AkaMarko True, the way I asked definitely interfered with the results. I was mostly curious to know what people really thought but looks like I blew my chance :)

• Would you tell us how many you sold worldwide since the initial launch?

• I have read quite a few developers discussing the lack of revenue compared to several years ago. Especially music making apps. The big boon of yesteryear's Angry Birds is only a spike in history.

Being a fledgling app developer wannabe (now using Codea/Lua before moving on to Xcode), I have no dreams of becoming rich (well I can dream ;-) ) but really enjoy making apps that satisfy my personal needs.

Anyhoo, I hope @Rhism does in fact get enough app income to keep him or her developing Guitarism and possibly developing new apps.

Good luck.

• edited February 2013

I'll bite since you asked for it: $160/day about now?

• ::pinky to mouth:: One-Trillion Dollars...

• Does the closest win an iPhone strap to jam on guitarism? I'll guess $80/day.

• @funjunkie27 If I had a strap, sure :)

BTW @sonosaurus just made this 10x more interesting because ThumbJam is currently #121 in Music Top Grossing, and guitarism has risen up to #162 thanks to the price drop (it was #206 when I posed the question, right before the price drop). So his guess at $160 for guitarism tells us that ThumbJam is making... maybe $250 a day on iPhone? :)

For guitarism, my average lately has been around $60 so cigar goes to @AkaMarko. However today's number should be higher given the price drop, tomorrow we'll find out how close @sonosaurus was.

BTW before Audiobus support I was averaging $20 a day so @PhilW gets 2nd place. Audiobus gave me a 3x boost to just below minimum wage. This implies that all the other 'strumming guitar' apps are making peanuts and have probably been mothballed.

Any other app devs care to chime in?

• edited February 2013

I know the answer but can't say cause it's unfair. lol

EDIT: posted that one second too late. ;-)

• Wow a brutally honest look into the life of a developer before and after Audiobus.

Audiobus is a very fertile and horny lady at the moment.

• Goes to show how important Audiobus is now, only what, three months after launching?! And thanks for doing so much for so lttle.

• 2 months. It's still a very young Lady. Ahem.

• @Rhism, so I guess at this stage you'll need to balance future development between satisfying existing user requests and attracting new buyers. For now you have a solid TRUMP card with Audiobus support and I'd suggest you exploit that more through YouTube videos and other forms of sicial media as much as possible.

• @AkaMarko @rhism is working on some 'stuff' right now.. videos and advertising will be best made after that for sure. ;-)

• ..aannd yesterday's total comes to $71. @funjunkie27 beats @AkaMarko by $1 for closest guess. Nail-biting finish

@sonosaurus looks like a pretty big drop-off across 40 spots in the Top Grossing list. So how close was my guess? :)

Price drop aside, the other thing that happened yesterday was evolver.fm covered my guitarism-JamUp-Audiobus video which got retweeted a bunch of times (including 3 different places by @Sebastian - thanks SD!)

@DaveMagoo @PhilW Yeah a 3x jump is huge, though 3x of a peanut is just 3 peanuts

@AkaMarko and @Ryan Agreed. Advertising definitely post-'stuff', videos can probably be more ongoing.

• Ah, my analysis was skewed because I was referencing $ ground truth of iPad and iPhone sales combined (because that's all we get from apple), against iPhone-only rankings.... but TJ generally does better on the iPad side. But you were pretty close anyway @Rhism, at least right now :)

We all have Audiobus to thank for improving sales across the board, for sure! Thanks again Mike and Sebastian!

• edited February 2013

@Rhism maybe you should look into a kickstarter program. Now that your app and software is getting around, some might be willing to invest in promised app improvements, and new app ventures. I would be one because I can see your diligence in perfecting your app. A bass app would be cool.

• @Rhism. Aw, come on, you could afford three PACKS of peanuts now!

• edited February 2013

@PhilW I decided to splurge and get the whole jar...