Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Patterning app help

You know when you adjust the notes of the individual sound/step of the sample, you can make melodies witch is nice, but it would sound so much more alive if I was able to tweak each step/sound as it is playing aswell, imagine it sliding from A---->> to A# WITHIN a clip instead of having to have changes be from clip to clip/step to step.. It would make the beats sound more interactive. I was imagining drawing in the changes, kind of like it is now from step to step, just a wave inside each step aswell.
-Since I like patterning so much, can you imagine another app where i can tweak the beats i make further? Even tonaly?

Comments

• edited November 2016

Patterning is capable of a great variation in sounds per bar, I wouldn't mind the lack of full control over tonality (if I understood this right).
    But you might trigger some (intermediate) steps externally via midi with different pitch data.
    Or run Patterning's output through a pitch shifting app in Audiobus.

• Yeas, if I understand it right its capable of allot of variation from bar to bar, but no variation within one?
    -You set all your effect parameters within the bar, and it stays the same through the playing back of that bar.

To be able to use Patterning as a synth to make more of the song in app, or just to make the drum beats sound less stakato, its nice to add some fluent tweaks here and there(without having to run it really fast) within just one bar.
    Patterning already does allot for me, but I'm trying to find what tools I need for airing my ideas. Its frustrating you know? But hopefully joining forums and talking to nice ppl like you will get me there in the end ^^

Tonality is not all, but is a good example as tweaking it withing one launch/beat/step to go "Boooooing!" brighter is a handy and cool effect, and impossible within patterning?
    I do enjoy the workflow of patterning, so I'd like to use it if there is a way to controll the midi from in in another synth? Do you have any recomendations on this or any other tips as you might know what I'm looking for?
    Good day to you all ;)

• well, I generally use to split things up.
    For example sake I'd use Patterning on 3 tracks/instruments as the rhythmic foundation and add 1-2 tracks in Oscilab that are tweaked live.
    Oscilab is very flexible as it can switch between synth, sample or midi source on the fly.
    My favourite feature is the midi control part, which is a bit hidden as an option.
    The geometric curves may generate controller data that's impossible to dial in by hand.

Another controller app is TC Data, which is more demanding in it's learning curve, but worth any effort.
    Just takes some patience to apply a modified example in it's most simple form to your setup. Once you get the idea how it works it's controller's heaven.
    Don't be fooled by example videos with wild sweeping and tapping around - most are complete rubbish by dudes who don't have any glimpse of what they are doing.
    A true pity as it's more outstanding in controller domain that Lemur (imho).
    That doesn't mean Lemur is bad or week, but TC Data get's a lot of things going without programming - it's one of the most clean GUI designs I know about (in whatever context).

• @smund said:
    You know when you adjust the notes of the individual sound/step of the sample, you can make melodies witch is nice, but it would sound so much more alive if I was able to tweak each step/sound as it is playing aswell, imagine it sliding from A---->> to A# WITHIN a clip instead of having to have changes be from clip to clip/step to step.. It would make the beats sound more interactive. I was imagining drawing in the changes, kind of like it is now from step to step, just a wave inside each step aswell.
    -Since I like patterning so much, can you imagine another app where i can tweak the beats i make further? Even tonaly?

Think the answer depends on what exactly you want to do and how up for what might be required you are.

First thought is that you can do a lot of what you're talking about (I think!) in real-time directly within Patterning. It requires that you play it like you would a guitar. Want to change the pitch of a step just once? Draw the change and then revert it. Or change the base pitch in real time. Filter? Go for it. Ratcheting? Add more steps and draw/remove triggers as needed or mess with clock division or setup a very short delay (internal or perhaps via AUM or Audiobus with Patterning's individual outputs).

Also, have you played with probability much in Patterning? That along with differing pattern lengths per instrument can make really take you out of the stuck-in-a-looping-bar feeling. I do wish we could apply probability to all manner of other things beyond note off/on.

Beyond that, Patterning has MIDI out so you can use it as a trigger for other apps, even drum apps like Elastic Drums or whatever you enjoy. You can even point some of the parts to your MIDI out destination and leave some of the parts pointing at Patterning sounds. Then you can do any pitch (or whatever) variations there. One thing that's very fun and opens a lot of possibilities (along the lines of what @Telefunky suggested with Oscilab) is that if you have patterning point at a drum machine with automation like Elastic Drums you can sync them and then do automation within ED. You can have patterning on a 1 bar pattern and then, say, a set of 4 repeating patterns within ED doing all manner of tweaks to your triggered sounds. And with variable pattern lengths and variable clock division per track in both apps, you can make things that really really break out of the stuck-in-a-loop feeling.

As for app suggestions, sounds you might want to check out Different Drummer, Elastic Drums, Oscilab and Seek Beats.

• edited November 2016

Helloo
    I'm just writing down some things I'm curious about in the apps mentioned as I'm looking in to them.

• How can you use TC-data in conjunction with Patterning, and what do you recommend?
      How would you record to add a little bit of effect every time? How do you use it in your IOS setup?

-Im looking into ocsilab
    *what is the midi control options you described in it, how do you use it and could/would you let it control patterning?

Aand lastly
    -Patterning Midi out you say? How would you use this to tweak sounds inside IOS? I was thinking the FX editing will be different if its bound to midi from individual sounds in patterning or if it taker the whole drum loop as one, and applies the effect to that. Is it possible to switch between those modes of editing within oscillab and TC, applying FX to individual launch clips gradually, or applying FX to a whole drum loop(allso gradually if possible)?
    Can i record the edits i make in the FX app in another looping program to slowly build layers of tweaks to the drum loop, what app should I use for this? Loopy looks good for this but I would like it to work like this with bricks so I can record some guitars there back and forth between the apps in the process
    Now I will check out some videos on Different Drummer, Elastic Drums, Oscilab and Seek Beats.

WrhAAaah I am slowny being born! Sorry about the pain. thanx

• About using Patterning and Oscilab, do you load it up in effects in Audiobus?
    What happens if i make a jazzy beat like with 17 steps or change lengths of the launches to half step/ full step etc in Patterning, will Oscilab be able to relate? Do i do anything to set it up in the APP i will be recording it in? Is this a stupid question?
    thanx

• Can i record the edits i make in the FX app in another looping program to slowly build layers of tweaks to the drum loop, what app should I use for this?

Practically speaking, I think this would be pretty hard.

Also on your checkout list: Effectrix, Turnado, GlitchBreaks and Sector.

1. Drum loop from Patterning
    2. FX from TC-data
    3. Record new loop in loopy?
      Would I be able to add a little FX every spin of loopy or would i have to record the whole drum loop with effects every time? Bricks does have this record eternaly window where i could try and try and cut out the part im happy with, maybe even on top of something? I'm inexperienced with this so dont know what i should hope for being able to do