Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Comments

• 25 dollars to use it with your computer! Deleted

• Does it actually work between iDevices?

• There had to be a catch. First 30 minutes of audio streaming is free after registering an account.

• @lukesleepwalker said:
    Does it actually work between iDevices?

It does. I've had no problems streaming audio between IPhone and iPad over WiFi. Works great.

• @Munibeast said:
    There had to be a catch. First 30 minutes of audio streaming is free after registering an account.

But that's a bonus feature. If you're just wanting to stream audio between two local iDevices over WiFi, there is no catch.

• @lukesleepwalker said:
    Does it actually work between iDevices?

Yup. And it does it pretty nicely. But since there is no AB support nor IAA as input you have to stick one single app(or probably AUM will do the trick; didn't tried since it isn't loaded on ipad2)

• It says you can stream between iOS and desktop using a standard device cable. Is there a way to do a similar thing between two iOS devices if one is connected as master via CCK to usb hub and the other is connected as a slave?

THAT would be great.

• @Munibeast said:
    There had to be a catch. First 30 minutes of audio streaming is free after registering an account.

Well, at least you can give it a test run.

• Apollo apps from SecretBaseDesign can be routed inside AB so I am not thrilled with Audreio .

• Well, it's free and sounds interesting... so I tried it out and it's actually kinda cool!

I launched Audreio on both my iPad Air 2 and my iPhone 5. I selected an IAA instrument to play on the iPhone, and selected the iPhone as the input for Audreio on the iPad.

Then, I added the launched Audreio to AUM as an input, added a filter to the input (apeFilter) then recorded in AUM on the iPad while noodling on the IAA instrument on the iPhone.

Worked fairly well! I say fairly, because I did hear a couple of crackles/pops in the recording. But, I noticed almost no latency and there's a latency setting in Audreio which is set to the max for minimum latency. I read that if you back off that you can get rid of any dropouts/etc. you might experience. Haven't tried that yet though.

But, with AUM... it's kind of a cool app to use a second iOS device as a remote.

I tried to do the same thing with AudioBus, but Audreio doesn't appear to show up as an available input in AB for some reason.

• edited March 2018

Hey... this is still free ;)

I'm posting because I recently started using this a lot more. I saw a video on discchord where a guy was doing a little performance and was using his iphone as an extra play surface with his ipad. So, one hand was adjusting things or playing on one screen while the other screen was being adjusted/played by the other.

In his setup, he's running the iPhone and iPad wired into a mixer, and then the mixer into Ableton on the desktop.

I wanted to do something similar, only not use a mixer or desktop.

So, that's where Audreio comes in. It's IAA so I can load up one app to play on the iPhone within Audreio, then wirelessly (local wifi) run that into a channel that has Audreio loaded up into AUM on the iPad. This way, I've got one screen playing on a separate screen and am able to play or mix other channels live on the iPad AUM session.

You have to set the latency about midway or kinda high or you'll get stream interruptions, but overall this is working out very well! You can stream like this for free, but there's paid desktop app, and if you want to stream over the internet, there are charges. For my use between iOS devices it's all free.

What I'm curious about though... are there any other similar apps that do this same thing, ie. stream audio with IAA support, wirelessly to a second iOS device that's got a receiver IAA app loaded into AUM or another DAW, etc. that's even better than Audreio?

• cool. Downloading now

• I know this is gonna be surprising coming from me, but this app would greatly benefit from a $3.99/month subscription for UNLIMITED minutes. The current prices after the trial are a bit unreasonable given what it is. No thank you. :lol:

• @jwmmakerofmusic said:
    I know this is gonna be surprising coming from me, but this app would greatly benefit from a $3.99/month subscription for UNLIMITED minutes. The current prices after the trial are a bit unreasonable given what it is. No thank you. :lol:

Well, I'm not so sure. I agree with you to a point, but I'm guessing the streaming via the internet is intended for musicians to have an actual remote live session that can be recorded, etc. I think if the internet stream service is being used commercially for work that might be sold, etc. a higher rate might be justified. But, I do agree that they'd likely do better if they just settled on one reasonable monthly fee for unlimited time. I would imagine that having a meter of minute charges like that could be a real vibe killer.

But, for free between ios devices, it's pretty freakin' awesome. I'm glad the app is free, but I'd have gladly paid for it knowing what I know now.

• Cool, I've wanted something like this for years and didnt know it existed.

• edited March 2018

@1nsomniak said:
    Cool, I've wanted something like this for years and didnt know it existed.

If the stream gets sketchy, run that latency setting up mid to 3/4 of the way and it’ll clean up nicely. Some stuff streams easier than others. The more dense & complex streams will need a bit more on the latency setting.

It’s cool

• @skiphunt said:

I'm posting because I recently started using this a lot more. I saw a video on discchord where a guy was doing a little performance and was using his iphone as an extra play surface with his ipad. So, one hand was adjusting things or playing on one screen while the other screen was being adjusted/played by the other.

In his setup, he's running the iPhone and iPad wired into a mixer, and then the mixer into Ableton on the desktop.

So, that's where Audreio comes in. It's IAA so I can load up one app to play on the iPhone within Audreio, then wirelessly (local wifi) run that into a channel that has Audreio loaded up into AUM on the iPad. This way, I've got one screen playing on a separate screen and am able to play or mix other channels live on the iPad AUM session.

You have to set the latency about midway or kinda high or you'll get stream interruptions, but overall this is working out very well! You can stream like this for free, but there's paid desktop app, and if you want to stream over the internet, there are charges. For my use between iOS devices it's all free.

What I'm curious about though... are there any other similar apps that do this same thing, ie. stream audio with IAA support, wirelessly to a second iOS device that's got a receiver IAA app loaded into AUM or another DAW, etc. that's even better than Audreio?

Ok wow I’ve had this forever and never knew it was free between iOS devices! Time to jump back in...

• edited March 2018

@DCJ said:

@skiphunt said:

Ok wow I’ve had this forever and never knew it was free between iOS devices! Time to jump back in...

Yep, it’s awesome. :)

So cool that I’m baffled as to why this app seems to be one of a kind. Even more baffled as to why it’s still free.

I think there’s been some confusion that any streaming has to be paid for, and most aren’t aware iOS to iOS is free.

• @DCJ said:

@skiphunt said:

Free between iOS devices? Then I take back what I said above.

• @skiphunt have you got this where latency doesn’t get in the way of playing? If I’m playing along with something, I can’t get the latency low enough. But it records great! Definitely still useful for sampling or just another sound source.

• @DCJ said:
    @skiphunt have you got this where latency doesn’t get in the way of playing? If I’m playing along with something, I can’t get the latency low enough. But it records great! Definitely still useful for sampling or just another sound source.

That’s where it’s not an issue for me. I only use it to manipulate generative stuff streaming or a little GeoShred ambient noodling.

Not really playing anything in time per se.

I have found that if I turn off everything but WiFi and have nothing like mail or anything else running in the background, you can push a tighter latency without dropout. Not perfect, but it can be tweaked for better performance.

• @skiphunt said:

@DCJ said:
    @skiphunt have you got this where latency doesn’t get in the way of playing? If I’m playing along with something, I can’t get the latency low enough. But it records great! Definitely still useful for sampling or just another sound source.

That’s where it’s not an issue for me. I only use it to manipulate generative stuff streaming or a little GeoShred ambient noodling.

Not really playing anything in time per se.

I have found that if I turn off everything but WiFi and have nothing like mail or anything else running in the background, you can push a tighter latency without dropout. Not perfect, but it can be tweaked for better performance.

Gotcha. Still great though. Thanks for the heads up!

• If I have 2 devices synced with WIST or LINK will I be able to send the audio to one device with audreio and mix the two signals together in time?

Basically want to jam with a friend without an external mixer. I could live with longish latency if everything was synced nice.

• @1nsomniak said:
    If I have 2 devices synced with WIST or LINK will I be able to send the audio to one device with audreio and mix the two signals together in time?

Basically want to jam with a friend without an external mixer. I could live with longish latency if everything was synced nice.

Well that’s the thing, the latency is because one device is receiving audio over WiFi, so you’ll never really get them in sync if you’re sending one to another.

• ok thanks gotta work around that i guess

• @DCJ said:

@1nsomniak said:
    If I have 2 devices synced with WIST or LINK will I be able to send the audio to one device with audreio and mix the two signals together in time?

Well that’s the thing, the latency is because one device is receiving audio over WiFi, so you’ll never really get them in sync if you’re sending one to another.

Well, I’m not 100% clear of how you want to set this up, but I’ve been playing this evening and via link, even the audio sent via WiFi with Audreio keeps everything pretty much sync’d. This has been mostly percussion, but I think what you want to do might actually work out fine with the help of link. Give it a try and let us know how it worked out. It’s free :)

• @skiphunt said:

@DCJ said:

@1nsomniak said:

Well, I’m not 100% clear of how you want to set this up, but I’ve been playing this evening and via link, even the audio sent via WiFi with Audreio keeps everything pretty much sync’d. This has been mostly percussion, but I think what you want to do might actually work out fine with the help of link. Give it a try and let us know how it worked out. It’s free :)

Damn I can’t get it to sync even with link? I loaded Ruismaker on the iPhone, connected it to the iPad through audreio, loaded Ruismaker on the iPad and loaded the same basic pattern on both. Even with link and the lowest latency, the iPhone Ruismaker was still significantly behind. I might be missing something though. Definitely give it a shot and let us know!

• edited March 2018

@DCJ said:

@skiphunt said:

@DCJ said:

@1nsomniak said:

Damn I can’t get it to sync even with link? I loaded Ruismaker on the iPhone, connected it to the iPad through audreio, loaded Ruismaker on the iPad and loaded the same basic pattern on both. Even with link and the lowest latency, the iPhone Ruismaker was still significantly behind. I might be missing something though. Definitely give it a shot and let us know!

Yeah, you’re right. I tried the same setup and it’s not in sync. Also tried a simple pattern with MV08 running on each device and it wasn’t in sync either.

Not sure why, but as I mentioned earlier, being in sync isn’t really important for how I’m using it. I can see how that would be an issue for some though. Curious if someone figures out a work around. For now, I’m gonna keep on keepin on... enjoying the extra control surface fed into/mixed via AUM on the iPad.

It’s not that I can’t do everything I’m playing with all on the iPad only, but having that extra surface handy and not having to keep going to an app in the background is cool. :)

• Hey, I’m at a coffee shop and wanted wanted to send audio from my iPhone to my iPad with Audreio. This works well on my WiFi network at home, but I can’t seem to get it to work on this coffee shop public WiFi. I realize Audreio is set up in a way so that they can charge a subscription or fee to send audio over the interns, but I was hoping there’d be a way to set it up just to use on a local WiFi network like I can at home, even if it was a public WiFi network.

I tried connecting one device first, then setting up the other device with the same ip settings manually, but that didn’t work. Any clues as to how I might get this to work on a public WiFi network? Maybe there’s a way to set up an ad-hoc local network via the iPad like you can on the MacBooks?

Or, maybe there’s a different network setting I need for the iPhone and iPad when using a public WiFi network in order for each install of Audreio to see each other?

• @skiphunt Can you connect your ipad to the mobile internet of your iphone? as a personal hotspot?
    It might work then. Although I haven't used this app yet.