Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Would this work?

Anyone out there know if I could take the adat out of my digimax fs into a spdif to USB converter then into ipad and be able to record all 8 pre's on individual tracks. Am I dreaming or could this work?

Comments

• This makes me feel like a toddler.

• Focusrite 18i6.

ADAT is not S/PDIF, you have to use a device that explicitly supports ADAT.

But with the 18i8 you get all 18 external inputs - 8 analog, 2 S/PDIF coax, 8 ADAT optical - available for BM2, Multitrack DAW, Auria, etc. But you won't find much under $300. Auria website has a page listing tested devices.

• @Bootsy - Unfortunately no, because spdif is limited to 2 channels.

You will need to get a USB audio interface with ADAT input that is compatible with the iPad through the CCK and a powered USB hub. People on the internet seem to have had success with the Focusrite 18i8 interface, you should be able to connect the optical out of your Digimax FS into the optical in of the 18i8.

• Haha, you beat me by three minutes @dwarman

• Ahh thanks. I already have my 44 vsl interface unfortunately it doesn't have adat. I was just trying to figure out a way to still uses the old digimax. Should have sprung for the 1818 vsl. Oh well.

• Ha, this is the first thread in a while where I literally don't understand ANYTHING being said. :D

• Lol, this seems to happen a lot in my daily conversation's. just know that you can't hook your spdif up to your adat. Bad things will happen :)

• Very noisy bad things :) May even lock up your device to where it needs a reboot.

• Fortunately I wouldn't have tried it without the proper guidance for the more knowledgeable people's like yourself @dwarman. I have another scenario maybe you can shed some light on? I have a emu1616 pci on my comp that does have coaxial spdif, any advantage in using this to go into my presonus (ipad interface) pre's or is it best to just use the 1/4 main outs? This would be to use my vst's on my comp into the ipad. Thanks.

• @Bootsy go spdif it works to avoid another pair of D to A and A to D conversions. Not that it matters all that much if you're talking about a track or two.

• @syrupcore. The thing is I would be going from spdif into two separate mic pre inputs are those digital? Or would I just be adding another conversion doing it that way? Maybe it wouldn't even work idk. I appreciate the help.

• @Bootsy: Which Preonus box do you have? The larger ones have coax S/PDIF i//O and you could hook up directly to that. But the smaller ones do not and the channel inputs are analog only. So 1/4 will be the thing. OTOH both ends have excellent (24bit) A/D and D/A so for a quiet and contained system you may not even notice the difference.

I've been searching for a simple USB to/from S/PDIF coax and optical interface without success. Seems one is over $200 before coax input starts appearing, and into $500 or so before you might get both (though only few offer the choice between TosLink and ADAT on the optical ports - Motu 828 firewire for one).

I'd definitely go 1/4" for now and wait for the iConnectMidi4+ to get a digital only interconnect. Still at $200 but you also get 3 way audio and 4 pairs of physical MIDI ports AND - and this is critical - a USB host port to connect your Presonus to to get audio into the system. The 2+ does not have this feature. With the 2+ you would have to be running your main computer DAW, your emu pci card, and routing the DAW output to the iPad to be able to record into it. At which point, why? So 4+, removes all hacks.

That's my 2c, and is the way I'll be going when the 4+ comes out. Though I'm a Focusrite geek, not Presonus.

• @dwarman I have the 44vsl. Which doesn't have any spdif! I love it but it would have been nice to have gotten the the bigger one. Probably would never have used all the pres but nice to have them and the adat. Thanks for confirming what I already thought. The main reason I like to use my pc daw is ez drummer and a whole host of vst plugs which are really nice too, and it works fine using the 1/4 outs of the emu. Always looking for another better way to hook stuff up.:). Thanks again.