Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

GeoShred Control in NS2 bug: finger release triggers the note

edited November 2022 in Support and Feedback

Environment:
iPad 7th gen
iPadOS 15.7.1
NanoStudio 2 2.1.2
GeoShred Control 5.830.1.8.1

Steps to reproduce:
Open NS2
Create a new project
Add a new Obsidian track
Go to MIDI fx of this track, and connect GeoShred Control
Open GeoShred effect and start playing some notes. At first, everything will be fine
Play long enough until the bug appears (usually takes several minutes)

Expected behavior:
Note is triggered when I put my finger on the screen
Note sustains when I hold my finger on the screen according to the amp envelope
Note decays when I release my finger from the screen according to the amp envelope

Actual behavior:
It takes a few minutes to activate the buggy behavior. Once it does:
Note is NOT triggered when I put my finger on the screen
Nothing happens when I hold my finger
Note is triggered when I release my finger from the screen
Note is sustained forever after until a new note is triggered

Here’s a link with a video recording of the bug. The bug appears at about 1:50.
https://share.icloud.com/photos/0961quehwt7f6dAvC184TRZ_g

A link to the NS2 error log I’ve found in settings just in case, even though it seems like it was a different error:
https://www.icloud.com/iclouddrive/0af7CjlnUrIPKdEnonuwRvgYA#NanoStudio_2-2022-11-13-140744

Besides Obsidian, I was able to reproduce the same behavior with AUv3 synths inside NS2.

I have 2 questions:

• is my workflow correct or should I connect GeoShred Control in a different way?
  • does anyone have the same issue with GeoShred in any other DAW?

Comments

• Hi @aoverflow , welcome the forum!
    What GS Preset are you using and what Midi Configuration in GS are you using?
    @moForte might be able to help as they dip into the forum every now and again and are the GS developers.

• edited November 2022

Sure!
    Didn’t touch the defaults. Can see the following are chosen:
    MIDI Multi Channel Mode
    MIDI Out Control
    Play Mode: String

Attaching a few screenshots

• Ran into a variation of this bug where all notes are being played back as staccato of the previous(!) note played. Recording here: https://share.icloud.com/photos/014qHj1rmzLJ-hFo-F0m9gVsw
    Might seem like a lag of the audio inside the videofile at first but it is not, it is actually GeoShred/NanoStudio that are one note behind of what is being played

• edited November 2022

Yeah I experience this too semi- frequently.
    I use geo inside AUM as a midi node to control pure piano, so you can probably eliminate NS2.

I’ve tried both mono and poly modes, disabling same note.

• @Blipsford_Baubie have you found any workarounds? For me only deleting Geo from the MIDI fx slot and re-adding it solves the issue (for another 3-10 minutes)

• edited November 2022

@aoverflow said:
    Environment:
    iPad 7th gen
    iPadOS 15.7.1
    NanoStudio 2 2.1.2
    GeoShred Control 5.830.1.8.1

Steps to reproduce:
    Open NS2
    Create a new project
    Add a new Obsidian track
    Go to MIDI fx of this track, and connect GeoShred Control
    Open GeoShred effect and start playing some notes. At first, everything will be fine
    Play long enough until the bug appears (usually takes several minutes)

Expected behavior:
    Note is triggered when I put my finger on the screen
    Note sustains when I hold my finger on the screen according to the amp envelope
    Note decays when I release my finger from the screen according to the amp envelope

Actual behavior:
    It takes a few minutes to activate the buggy behavior. Once it does:
    Note is NOT triggered when I put my finger on the screen
    Nothing happens when I hold my finger
    Note is triggered when I release my finger from the screen
    Note is sustained forever after until a new note is triggered

Here’s a link with a video recording of the bug. The bug appears at about 1:50.
    https://share.icloud.com/photos/0961quehwt7f6dAvC184TRZ_g

A link to the NS2 error log I’ve found in settings just in case, even though it seems like it was a different error:
    https://www.icloud.com/iclouddrive/0af7CjlnUrIPKdEnonuwRvgYA#NanoStudio_2-2022-11-13-140744

Besides Obsidian, I was able to reproduce the same behavior with AUv3 synths inside NS2.

I have 2 questions:

• is my workflow correct or should I connect GeoShred Control in a different way?
    • does anyone have the same issue with GeoShred in any other DAW?

aoverflow, I looked at your video. It seems like the target synth is losing it's sense of matching noteOn/noteOff pairs.

It's really odd that it responds with a noteOn when lifting the key sends a noteOff. More info needed.

• What is the target synth that you are sending MIDI to.
    • Is the target synth MPE, Multi Timbral or single channel or Omni.
    • Is the GeoShred MIDI Out preset in mono, string or poly mode?
    • What MIDI configuration are you using and specifically what mode is it in, MPE, Multi or Single.
    • You can use the GeoShred trace window to gather a MIDI trace to see what is going on. I suggest that you only trace NoteOn/Note off pairs under "MIDI Channel Voice Messages". If you can reproduce the problem in a short number of notes, please send us the trace at [email protected].
    • A good way to try and reproduce this in a short sequence is to play it "Gorilla mode" slamming down many fingers at once until the problem happens.

(Addenda) I strongly suspect that the target synth is in Omni mode (responds to all channels but behaves as if it's a single channel synth, no channel independent expression, and you are sending a Multi MIDI Stream (sends each string on it's own channel.

• @aoverflow said:
    @Blipsford_Baubie have you found any workarounds? For me only deleting Geo from the MIDI fx slot and re-adding it solves the issue (for another 3-10 minutes)

I think that you have a mis match between the sending MIDI Mode (MPE, Multi, Single) and the target synth. What is the target synth? Does it support MPE or Multi Timbral modes (not Omni). Please reach out to us directly at [email protected] so that we can do a detailed analysis.

• @aoverflow said:

That's an NS2 crash log. It's not going to tell much except that NS2 crashed in "AudioToolboxCore " which must be some internal SDK that it uses.

Let's get a reproducible case going so that we can debug it. Again reach out to us at [email protected] so that we can analyze.

• edited November 2022

@aoverflow said:
    @Blipsford_Baubie have you found any workarounds? For me only deleting Geo from the MIDI fx slot and re-adding it solves the issue (for another 3-10 minutes)

No, similar here. I save a little time though by clearing and reloading the last AUM session. This way I don’t need to redo the midi connection as if I were to delete Geo instead.

I do intend to follow up on this through support as mforte suggested.

• I believe NS2 flattens incoming MIDI data to a single channel, touching on what moForte was saying. You can try putting a MIDI monitor in the MIDI chain after GeoShred to see what is being sent to Obsidian, AUM though should not be doing any filtering unless it is configured to do so.

• What is the target synth that you are sending MIDI to.

Target synth Obsidian, which is a part of NanoStudio 2.

• Is the target synth MPE, Multi Timbral or single channel or Omni.

Pretty sure Obsidian, and NS2 itself, do not support MPE. Unfortunately I don’t know what the rest of the words mean. I need to educate myself before I can answer. Or can anyone here help me?

• Is the GeoShred MIDI Out preset in mono, string or poly mode?

String mode

• What MIDI configuration are you using and specifically what mode is it in, MPE, Multi or Single.

Multi Channel Mode

(Addenda) I strongly suspect that the target synth is in Omni mode (responds to all channels but behaves as if it's a single channel synth, no channel independent expression, and you are sending a Multi MIDI Stream (sends each string on it's own channel.

If so, what are the correct settings for this case?

• You can use the GeoShred trace window to gather a MIDI trace to see what is going on. I suggest that you only trace NoteOn/Note off pairs under "MIDI Channel Voice Messages". If you can reproduce the problem in a short number of notes, please send us the trace at [email protected].

Sure, will send the trace to the email above as soon as I can reproduce the problem.