Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

It's just clicked how amazing audiobus is!

I guess everyone knows how amazing Audiobus is already - but as a committed Nanostudio user I only really had been using Audiobus to get other synths into Nanostudio (usually samples to the TRG pads) and from there everything is pure Nanostudio. Nothing wrong with that - and that's perhaps still what I prefer.

But after my recent first live performance (ever, not just with iPads) I decided to experiment with controllers to see what is possible (in case there is another performance :-) ). And I found that with a single iPad mini 2 and 3 USB controllers (1 pad, 2 keyboards), powered USB hub, audiobus, MiMix, Addictive, Addictive Micro, thumbjam, Animoog, Soundscaper and DFX (all recorded in real time to Multitrack DAW) I could have a whole load of fun! OK it's a slightly retro Tangerine Dream/Jarre-esq1970s sort of thing - but loads of fun to do! Possibly pushing the evelope in terms of what the iPad could do (and certainly what I could do with 2 hands) - but pretty amazing software to produce all that.

So thank you to all the developers who made this piece of magic happen!

Jan

Comments

• I'd like to hear that!

• I'm in two minds about uploading to be honest. It was really the result of a jam session (with myself) just to see how all this could work. I was thinking about doing a 'proper' version where I actually plan what it is I'm doing rather than just mess around and see where I end up. But then I think I like the end result because it was unexpected and the result of a 'jam'. Will see tomorrow......

(PS I know I referenced TD and Jarre of the 1970s - that doesn't mean I think it's up there with them. Just kind of reminds me a little :-) )

• @kitejan said:
    I'm in two minds about uploading to be honest. It was really the result of a jam session (with myself) just to see how all this could work. I was thinking about doing a 'proper' version where I actually plan what it is I'm doing rather than just mess around and see where I end up. But then I think I like the end result because it was unexpected and the result of a 'jam'. Will see tomorrow......

(PS I know I referenced TD and Jarre of the 1970s - that doesn't mean I think it's up there with them. Just kind of reminds me a little :-) )

I must admit that live performance is what is really exciting to me. I agree that Audiobus is one of the most useful tools on iOS devices for music. Loading a bunch of apps to run at the same time live is quite a trick too. Don't forget to put your device in airplane mode. :)

• I give a lot of credit to the Audiobus programmers for figuring out a way to connect apps in iOS because it is sandboxed. It must have been quite a task.

• OK - someone did ask! I can't put the second one up (using Frobulator & Spacevibe along with Nave and Soundscaper) as I'm out of soundcloud space. But this gives an idea to what I was talking about. The original track is 13 minutes - so here is an edited version :-)

• I enjoyed this - I was just thinking "This needs a lead line" and Lo! One appeared! Great stuff, very TD.

• More likely it needs a bass line :-) I defintely will run out of hands trying for a bass line. And I suspect I might run out of CPU power trying to sync another arp type thing up to the main Addictive Arp. Bear in mind this is pretty much the first attempt at trying something different.....

• Cool. It sounds like The Chemical Brothers who I'm a big fan of.

• Yep amazing,---the FAST bus to your destination,that will STOP and pick up any punters who need a ride.--oh the Irony!

• edited September 2015

@kitejan Sounded great. Have you done anymore Live performing?

Also interested in which controllers you were using in your set up and what the pros and cons were for each in performing.

I was listening whilst browsing the forum and was a bit gutted when ended. Good stuff!