Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Phase84 on sale

Phase84 is $9.99 till July 6th. It also comes in a synth bundle with 2 other synths for $12.99 but it's not on the App Store. I've never heard of it. Is any good?

"Phase84 is a next generation phase distortion synthesizer. It fuses gritty digital sounds with traditional analog punch (give it a listen in youtube video). Pick it up for 9.99 this weekend! You can also save an extra 20% on the Synths Bundle — get Phase84 and two other great synths for $12.99."

Phase84 by Retronyms Inc
https://appsto.re/us/6glf4.i

Comments

• The 'R' word put me off...

• @monzo said:
    The 'R' word put me off...

Really? Why are they bad? I don't know that much about them except that they make Audio Paste.

• @mkell424 said:
    Really? Why are they bad? I don't know that much about them except that they make Audio Paste.

Have a look through the iMPC Pro threads on here. Personally after buying that one, and iMini, I wouldn't buy their products again. That's my own opinion, they do have their fans too.

• I dont like that letter either

• edited July 2015

@monzo said:
    they do have their fans too.

I can name two Arturia and Akai.

• I wont buy it even for 99c

• I'll give them this, their business model appears to work, fits with the iOS model really well, 'if it ain't broke, it will be'!

• @mkell424 said:

They're also a direct competitor to Audiobus with their Tabletop app, so they make a point of not making their apps AB compatible unless contractually obligated (like with the Arturia apps). Phase84 in particular isn't.

This is actually a port of the (freebie) VST synth Digits. I never was able to wrap my head around it but KVR did a month-long one-synth contest with it a while back so it must be all right.

• I bought Phase84 the last time it was on sale, and it's the synth I use the least. The sounds produced are... I guess the best way I can put it is "dry and hollow". It feels like there's no power to them, and the presets aren't that great either (When compared to synths like Sunrizer).
    Phase84's UI is awesome. It's elegant and easy to use, with everything layed out clearly. But when you buy a synth, you obviously care more about the sounds. So I have to say that Phase84 is simply not worth it. Even though it's currently on sale.
    I'm not hating on Retronyms. I'm just being completely honest with my opinion of this app.

• edited July 2015

A link to videos by the Digits guy who coded Phase84, they cover the special features of the synth which include unusual and tasty performance, movement and modulation stuff

My experience with the synth has been fun and productive. Props to Retronym for getting Louis paid for his code

• Its a good synth, the arpeggiator alone is worth the asking price, u can use it as IAA input and choose an FX to beef it up a little

• Or, if you own Thor already, learn how to use phase distortion on it.

• Hmmm. I don't know really if Tabletop is a competitor to Audiobus, they don't embrace AB that's for sure, and with their own goals I can see why (while I strongly disagree with their thinking). To be fair, without seeing/knowing their sales numbers (especially as regards relative quarter-on-quarter growth) it's hard to really make any kind of informed assessment.

Overall, as regards this synth, I would agree with pretty much everything @StarShootex said above.

• I think the claim of "two other great synths" is highly suspect....

• I couldn't find a synth bundle in the German store. What would the other 2 great synths be?

• Stryke and synth.

• edited July 2015

@Munibeast, Stryke and errrr Synth, best thing about Stryke IMO, the promo video!

• I see, thanks. I think I'll pass.

• Synth is from 2010, Gorillaz used it on The Fall, has a sampler...I don't know what to say about Stryke. Phase84 is something else entirely and easily worth 10 bucks. Oh well

• While I agree with the general Retronyms sentiment here, iMini is pretty great. They fixed the MIDI channel thing (I think) and the stuck note issue has been proven to be an Arturia problem.

Also, iMPC borders so close to absurdly-great-ness that everything wrong with it feels colossal. Is colossal?

• edited July 2015

@syrupcore said:
    While I agree with the general Retronyms sentiment here, iMini is pretty great. They fixed the MIDI channel thing (I think) and the stuck note issue has been proven to be an Arturia problem.

Also, iMPC borders so close to absurdly-great-ness that everything wrong with it feels colossal. Is colossal?

I've never been happy with iMini - the presets are setup far too loud and even when I lower the volume the quality isn't there for me. As an old analogue guy this should be my go-to synth but because of the volume issues I never open it - it's crashed on me a lot too. As far as the iMPC Pro goes - I've wasted so many hours trying to work with this that I've ended up hating it. Songs that didn't save properly, crashes that lose work, lack of AB support, uninspiring UI, difficulties getting samples in, the annoying way it starts playing when you try and record some simple pad action into a DAW....etc.

Both of these apps could be great with a minimal amount of tweaking but the developers don't seem to give a toss, so they're languishing in my 'unused/next to delete' folder. I have limited funds available, so I'll spend my money with developers that care about their customers.

• edited July 2015

It still amazes me that there's a man in love with the woman I used to be in love until she drove me mad and I turned my face away.

In my unconscious league table iMini is up there in the first division. Maybe more of a mid-table club, but still. I should like it for bass thingies, but that's one of my (many) weak areas, and the automation/ease of recording in Gadget leads me to those options most of the time.

iMPC is the very talented child who pisses in my pocket, but I am unable to stop myself trying to reform him

• I deleted iMPC Pro long ago. All the stuff @monzo said. Except I quite like the design (but hate the UX).

• Thought we were talking about Phase84

• edited July 2015

@Littlewoodg said:
    Thought we were talking about Phase84

The OP @mkell424 was wondering why some of us are put off by the 'R' word. This is why.

• @monzo said:

Thanks @monzo, I see it now