Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Diode-108 workaround for iOS 7 users who are stuck

We have successfully reproduced the iOS 7 problem. Has to do with a certain dialog (Mic request) which looks like it was modal in iOS 7 but isn't in iOS 8.

After a lot of trying, WE HAVE CREATED A WORKAROUND to get iOS 7 users back in the game until we are able to submit a fix. Make sure you know where your iPad's POWER and Home buttons are. If you don't know the name of the buttons, please Google.

Hold power button until you see "Slide To Power Off", but DON'T SLIDE that slide!
Release the power button.
Hold down Home button until app shuts down. You should be left with the microphone dialog. Choose Don't Allow or OK.
Now you should be able to relaunch Diode-108 in a working state.

Comments

• 1.2.1 has been submitted to Apple with a proper fix for the issue.

• It's already out.

• @Diode108, don't know if it's already been reported but I was playing with the default song, changed the kit, FX, notes and various other settings, but after saving to a new song, exiting the app then reloading the same song, it lost it's settings for gate. Also don't know if it's related to the iOS 7 bug when bringing the app from the background, the loading screen displays in the wrong orientation, BTW my orientation on my ipad is usually locked and I've updated to the latest version of Diode, using iPad 4, iOS 7.

• I've already reported that. The info screen on where they got the sounds from loads in wrong orientation too

• edited June 2015

So strange. Is anyone getting this in iOS 8? @knewspeak, @BiancaNeve, do you see this on iOS 8 devices if you have them?

• edited June 2015

I'm not getting this issue 8.1.2.

But I've always wanted to say that the splash screen is up a little too long when switching apps back n forth. Not sure why it's needed when the app is already running.
    Even if the app needs a pause, can we have the the UI or a version of, displayed instead.

Cheers!

• Nope doesn't happen on ios8 iPad air2 just on ipad3 with ios7.

There's something differs about how ios8 deals with screen rotation to how iOS 7 did it because there's a few apps I have that work fine in ios7 but not in iOS8 because of that.

• Can't replicate on iOS 8

• edited June 2015

@BiancaNeve said:
    Nope doesn't happen on ios8 iPad air2 just on ipad3 with ios7.

There's something differs about how ios8 deals with screen rotation to how iOS 7 did it because there's a few apps I have that work fine in ios7 but not in iOS8 because of that.

OK. I'm more worried about "loss of gate" info and other functional bugs than in iOS 7 display issues, but we want to clean it all up. We're nearly about done with a large surge of features and it looks like we need a consolidate and polish phase.

• edited June 2015

@KING777 said:
    I'm not getting this issue 8.1.2.

But I've always wanted to say that the splash screen is up a little too long, especially when switching apps back n forth. Not sure why it's needed when the app is already running.
    Even if the app needs a pause, can we have the the UI or a version of, displayed instead.

Cheers!

The splash screen covers up initialization of OpenGL, which is used for the PADS and PATTERN screens for graphics so that we can keep performance (somewhat) reasonable on slower iPads like iPad 2 and original Mini. I suppose we could have a different screen, but I doubt people would be super happy. Maybe iOS 9 will give us some help on this front, or it'll have to wait for a redo of the UI or a switch to Metal. All big jobs.

• @Diode108 said:

Thought there was some sort of cover up going on lol :)

• edited June 2015

@KING777 said:
    Thought there was some sort of cover up going on lol :)

It's a massive cover up! We really wanted a decent experience on iPad 2s!

• edited June 2015

Another thing I'll add while I'm here!

After opening the app for the first time and pressing play, there is a sound glitch that is heard. This only happens once after the pattern plays for a few seconds. Then it's fine!

Not 100% sure but I think it only happens once after turning my pad on. So it may be related to the iPad waking up!

• The odd thing about the iOS 7 thing, I notice now on the 7.1.2 machine I'm using, is sometimes the splash is right and sometimes it's wrong. And if it's wrong, flipping the orientation 180 degrees seems to clear it up. Is that how all you iOS 7 users are seeing it?

• Haven't tried the rotation test yet I'm using my IOS8 mini retina, strange here I'm getting on all the kits I've loaded so far, with the default pitch in the centre, the samples seem too low, I then re-pitch them fully up and that seems like the correct pitch, anybody else getting the same effect.

• @KING777 said:
    Another thing I'll add while I'm here!

After opening the app for the first time and pressing play, there is a sound glitch that is heard. This only happens once after the pattern plays for a few seconds. Then it's fine!

Not 100% sure but I think it only happens once after turning my pad on. So it may be related to the iPad waking up!

Yeah I have heard that as well. I think it's always been there. We'll try to track that down. Now is a great time to collect bug reports. If you have a list, sent them to [email protected] and they'll get logged properly. I'll try to get through all these threads and log them as well.

• edited June 2015

@knewspeak said:
    Haven't tried the rotation test yet I'm using my IOS8 mini retina, strange here I'm getting on all the kits I've loaded so far, with the default pitch in the centre, the samples seem too low, I then re-pitch them fully up and that seems like the correct pitch, anybody else getting the same effect.

Really? I'll take a look at that.

• edited June 2015

Yeah I just posted on another Diode108 thread and added that it has been happening from day one. I posted over there as this one is iOS 7 stuff, mainly. :)

• @Diode108 said:
    I'll try to get through all these threads and log them as well.

Hehe! Good luck with that! :-)

• Problem solved this gets really quirky, I was watching a YouTube video with my Bluetooth headset, all fine, then I came to the forum, read your post about the orientation bug, you asked if this was present on IOS8, as I was on my mini on 8, I checked, that's when I got the re-pitch problem, so I've checked with my wired headset, NO PITCH PROBLEM? Why would Bluetooth cause this effect.

• edited June 2015

@knewspeak said:
    Problem solved this gets really quirky, I was watching a YouTube video with my Bluetooth headset, all fine, then I came to the forum, read your post about the orientation bug, you asked if this was present on IOS8, as I was on my mini on 8, I checked, that's when I got the re-pitch problem, so I've checked with my wired headset, NO PITCH PROBLEM? Why would Bluetooth cause this effect.

Scary. This is the kind of thing that creeps into my nightmares. Maybe the audio device isn't running at 44100 anymore when you're watching that video with your bluetooth?

• Interesting..

• Never had that problem, latency yes, that can be terrible, making Bluetooth unusable for real time work, but for sequencing no problem, I thought it maybe something with sample rate conversion, I'll test it more because it's something I've not encountered before.

• Here goes, this effect is only present in Diode, I've tested, iElectribe, DM1 and SeekBeats, when using my Bluetooth headset, Diode seems to slow to about half its tempo, and halves the playing speed of the sample as well, all the other apps play as expected.

• edited June 2015

Clearly Diode-108 is allergic to Bluetooth radiation. Odd that this is the first I've heard of it. I'm wondering if there's a simpler way of reproducing the issue than buying the bluetooth headset you have, but go ahead and clue me in on which headset you are sporting, if you would. :-)

• @Diode108 said:
    Clearly Diode-108 is allergic to Bluetooth radiation.

It certainly is an interesting effect, a BT remix! Lol.

• @KING777 said:
    Interesting..

Still interesting..

• edited June 2015

I imagine that Diode-108 believes it is working in a 44.1kHz environment when it is not. It's an extremely whimsical and gullible creature. Sometimes it's believed as much as six impossible things before breakfast.

• edited June 2015

Get those headphones, tweak and vwola! Diode108 remote..

• Bluetooth is a strange thing here on IOS, I've now tried quite a few apps, some refuse to play only outputting via the devices speaker, most work fine, iMPC (the original version) seems to operate like Diode, tempo slow, sample rate slow. So I decided to test with AudioBus, this is a no-go via Bluetooth, the sample buffer when set at 128, reports an error state of 353 and at 256 an error state of 706, if you then switch measurement mode on, AudioBus overrides the error state to the value set in AudioBus, then you can play audio only via the speaker. I assume the Bluetooth Service is setting the quirky buffer value initially, until AudioBus takes control when measurement mode is engaged, maybe the same thing is happening with Diode, Bluetooth setting the quirky buffer value.