Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Closing Apps is Unneccessary?

http://www.businessinsider.com/stop-swiping-up-on-iphone-apps-2015-6

If this is true then why do I see so many people advising me to close unused apps in order to make the audiobus/etc. workflow operate more smoothly? Like, doesn't AudioCopy operate in the background & drain battery?

Comments

• We musicians are often an exception to the rule, though, in my experience, I only need to close apps that are in an active "state" rather than merely open (e.g.., responding to MIDI when I don't want them to).

• Not true.

Apps in the background do drain battery and use up cpu maybe some less than others but they do.

• I close em, it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. My son does too, it's like an OCD thing. We can't handle open unused apps in the background. Gotta swipe em away.

• Closing apps makes a huge difference in ios7. Huge.

• @High5denied said:
    I close em, it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. My son does too, it's like an OCD thing. We can't handle open unused apps in the background. Gotta swipe em away.

LOL!

• edited June 2015

With respect to my forum-mates, "open" apps (ones that appear when you double-press Home) do not normally drain the battery. iOS is fundamentally different than traditional operating systems in this respect. An app must be specifically designed to run in the background (navigation, background audio, etc.) to drain the battery when not being used.

Notifications, on the other hand, do have the potential to drain the battery and should be turned off in Settings if not needed. These run in a separate thread than the app.

• @firejan82 said:
    Not true.

Apps in the background do drain battery and use up cpu maybe some less than others but they do.

Agree.
    It may be true for some apps, like safari, if you reopen it it often has to reload the last page. But it sure is not true for all apps.

I remember one time forgetting to close Korg gadget before I went to sleep. My battery was at 99%. The next morning my battery was more than half empty.
    It was on standby! Standby normally doesn't drain your battery that fast.

• edited June 2015

@Greg said:
    I remember one time forgetting to close Korg gadget before I went to sleep. My battery was at 99%. The next morning my battery was more than half empty. It was on standby! Standby normally doesn't drain your battery that fast.

Yep, Korg gadget is designed to run in the background, so I can see how that could happen. Closing instruments and background-audio-producing apps makes sense.

• Please close Diode-108 when you're not using it, if you have Background Audio on.

• Don't know if it still happens but IAA used to call whatever app it was using as a generator/instrument and fail to close the connection when you exited the app that made the initial call, used to show up in my monitor app still in the background, don't know if they were using battery, but they used memory resources.

• yeah, this only applies to apps that don't run background processes (unlike most audio apps which do). reminds me of the recent WSJ article where the author claimed that apple should stop making desktop computers because they don't matter. tech pundits don't "know anything"

• I noticed I can turn off background operations for AudioCopy in the settings, anyone know if that stops its resource draining? I'm obsessive about shutting it down which becomes annoying when it has to open again two minutes later...

• @High5denied said:
    I close em, it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. My son does too, it's like an OCD thing. We can't handle open unused apps in the background. Gotta swipe em away.

Me, too. Drives me nuts when another family member has 19 apps open in the background, I'll go in there and chastise as I swipe the clutter away.

For audio production, it just seems like a best practice. Just like a hard reboot before starting a serious recording session.

• Definitely close music apps you don't need running. Background audio can keep apps alive and if they don't have the recording flag set there's not even a red bar on top of the screen notifying the user of it.

• @eustressor said:
    Me, too. Drives me nuts when >another family member has 19 apps >open in the background, I'll go in there >and chastise as I swipe the clutter >away

When my mom gave me her ipad there were 54 apps needing updating.

• @rhcball said:

When my mom gave me her ipad there were 54 apps needing updating.

shudder, wince, twitch

• edited June 2015

I wish my mum would give me her iPad. Lucky bugger.

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:
    I wish my mum would give me her iPad. Lucky bugger.

She upgraded to an Air 2 solely because it was lighter.