Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Different Drummer Workflow video

I finally got some time to pull a video together. I hope to do a few more in the near future. If you have any specific requests on what you would like me to cover in DD, just let me know. Some of the things I have in mind is drilling into midi, recording loops, automations and the operations panel, and the jam panel.

I think I finally found a video workflow that seems to work. If interested, I ran audio from my iPad into Audacity, on my MacBook Pro, found a rig to mount my camera (Vado mobile), recorded the video upside down, so the camera was out of my way, then dumped the video and iPad audio into Cute Cut. In hindsight, I should have notched the iPad audio a bit lower still, but overall I was fairly happy with the setup.

Note to self....clean iPad screen before the next video!

Comments

• Nice video Russell, appreciate the insight. Thanks

• Great @funjunkie27. Have never explored grid mode. Must give it a try

• Thanks for posting, some good workflow tips, I should use grid mode more too :)

• Thanks guys. I've used grid mode almost exclusively, but I'm trying to mix non-grid tracks in lately. I think the non-grid tracks have a looser feel, in a good way, but I can't control them as well.

• Thank you, very good video and some really good tips...:)
    How did you manage to draw in pitched notes? I can draw them in, but only on the "line" ..and you erase everything and save as a template?
    Really great idea, I always found too many notes in the tracks, in drums, sometimes "less is better"

• Nice video. I always use grid mode, haven't come up with anything as good sounding as that though!

• Well done Sir. Good addition to the DD repository. Will have a whip-round here to get you one of those special cleaner/duster thingies :)

• Thanks guys.

@soundklink - I had been playing with that track previously and forgot to zero the sliders before saving the preset, so when I entered the notes, they followed the underlying wave. I should have shown that you can still drag a note to any desired pitch, regardless of the wave. That part can get frustrating though, since the note will snap back to the wave if you further adjust the note wave.

I still tend to overcrowd the compositions, but I agree with you, less is often more.

@monzo - it is difficult to get something workable, but that's why I'm liking this new (for me) workflow. Add a chord progression first, stick to one measure tracks, and then entering notes helps yield something workable much faster than the other approaches I've used. On a side note, afterwards, it's interesting to add more measures to a few tracks. That gives you an evolving texture. Say if all tracks are one measure, but one track is three and a second track is four measures, the whole piece only repeats every twelve measures.

• Thanks JGY. This was an unexpected benefit to working mid-shifts, something I last did maybe 30 years ago!

• @funjunkie27 Thanks for this one. I used DD quite a bit not aware of the per channel tweaks for midi and harmony. Super helpful! I'm looking forward to learn about automation.

• edited June 2015

Glad it helped @Peanutcram. I have my next one somewhat planned...using midi into SoundCanvas with Midi Breakout Box controlling SC presets, then using the jam panel to play along, but I'll make sure automation is in queue behind that...got some studying to do there still.

• Props to @funjunkie27 for taking the time to help other users. Nice job!

• Russell, why don't you upload your init file to the community?

• Done...although the file name is Vid Demo.

• Cool, great demo.

Question: does grid mode let you position notes that are then impacted by the other waves?

I don't understand how grid mode relates to note mode.

• Thanks John. The way I understand it is that grid mode honors the grid, so all wave interactions are tied to the grid, while in non grid mode, the interactions tie to the wave.

For example, if you enter notes on every beat, in grid mode, and apply a rest wave that is a square wave at 2 times the fundamental, you can silence every other note. You can also move the phase slider so that only beats 1and 3 play, or only 2 and 4 play. I hope that makes sense and helps.

• Thanks for the videos funjunkie. I saw this and thought of you and your dirty screen :) Shou.tv has been around for a while as an unapproved ipad app but it looks like its just gone legit. It will simplify your video making and so you can spend more time making great videos that inspire us Different Drummer addicts. Have a look .....

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/shou.tv/id946848480?mt=8

• Ok, I should say that once you install the app you need to go into information and click on download shou recorder. This then gives you an app called shou which is the recorder. Turn it on, record everything that appears on the screen and sound through mic and then switch it off and save the video to your camera role. How easy is that! Hope you like it