Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

AB compatible Synths best for soundscapes

Hello all,

I've already got Sunrizer but need some suggestions for other synths that does soundscapes well.

What are the best 3 you have for this purpose?

Comments

• Soundscaper is excellent, especially if you feed your own samples into it.

Alchemy, may it rest in peace, was great for evolving sounds

Mitosynth is also great for evolving sounds.

• Magellan
    Nave
    Animoog

• edited May 2015

-Mitosynth, largely unexplored beast that it is.

-Alchemy I agree with also, but then I find myself valuing it far more highly now it's on the endangered species list.

-TC11 etc

-Borderlands

-Left-field choice: Mixtikl

• For playable textures/soundscapes: Mitosynth (yes and Alchemy).
    Borderlands for the one note scapes.

• Mitosynth and Nave seem great!

Thank you all for the suggestions.

Alchemy isn't on the appstore anymore?

• I second all the above choices, I would also add iVCS3 to the list :)

• I'd also recommend iPulsaret and Stria. The other recommendations made in this thread are great.

• I'm going to suggest Synthmaster player as a potential replacement for Alchemy. There's a lot of potential there for evolving soundscapes. Combined with Dubfilter for filter sweeping it can be quite atmospheric

• Granular Synthesis plays a huge part in my sound design for games,film for soundscapes & fx.

I bring a small recorded sample from a synth or field recording into Grainscience or Megacurtis, scrub through the waveform and freeze interesting areas, then create an fx chain and record out, after that bring the recording back into Grainscience or Megacurtis and do it all again. Playing and recording live with filters will create movement and texture. Record the whole process also as you'll make fantastic source material from playing around.

Layering the recorded sounds will create huge walls of sound. Little tip, shift the pitch down on tuned instruments and stretch the hell out of it, even one shot synths will create really unique sounds many synths can't create, unless Absynth ever comes to iOS..

• Crystalsynth XT to me was a surprise. Sounds great.

• @Egz said:
    Crystalsynth XT to me was a surprise. Sounds great.

Same here. This is still a new app to me, but one of the first things I thought of was Soundscapes.

• @Egz said: Crystalsynth XT to me was a surprise. Sounds great.

Same here. This is still a new app to me, but one of the first things I thought of was Soundscapes.

@TozBourne said:

Agree with you both on Crystal....

• @wcssw said:
    Granular Synthesis plays a huge part in my sound design for games,film for soundscapes & fx.

I bring a small recorded sample from a synth or field recording into Grainscience or Megacurtis, scrub through the waveform and freeze interesting areas, then create an fx chain and record out, after that bring the recording back into Grainscience or Megacurtis and do it all again. Playing and recording live with filters will create movement and texture. Record the whole process also as you'll make fantastic source material from playing around.

Layering the recorded sounds will create huge walls of sound. Little tip, shift the pitch down on tuned instruments and stretch the hell out of it, even one shot synths will create really unique sounds many synths can't create, unless Absynth ever comes to iOS..

Thank you for those suggestions.

• Zedsynth is great choice

http://www.jazzman-ltd.co.uk/zed-synth/

There is a demo starting from 7:00 .You can hear some of the synth's character ...

• Soundscaper,idensity 2 and Borderlands.Idensity 2 gave me the WOW and natural high feeling and my new personal favorite for soundscaping.

• Mitosynth, Soundscraper, Borderlands, Grainscience, wow there are many brilliant apps for this when you start thinking about it

• edited May 2015

I forgot how great Crystal sounded and never got into it much again until today upon recommendations above. Thanks , I did the upgrade to Xt jut now after deciding how much I liked it and how trippy it can really get!

• Crystal XT in AB through Flux! Every sound you could never possibly imagine and more!!!

• Some good suggestions - I also like the Kiev Gadget for interesting textures.

• Soundscraper is on sale

• iMS-20 is also a great playground for soundscapes

• I command you thread, rise, RISE from your grave! :p

I started with Soundscaper and have had my fun with it. I remembered this thread and now have all of the aforementioned apps that aren't on my iPad on my wishlist.

Why revive this thread? My question is: What are the best AB compatible EFFECTS (the best reverbs, filters, UNUSUAL sound processes, etc) to use in Soundscape creation? This is like that part two to an already excellent list of apps.

• First of all, an admission. I'm as dumb as a chimp with all this stuff. I bought Soundscraper and could never get anything from it (like a lot of apps tbh) Of all the effects I've bought, I like Crystalline the most. It gives even my worst dribbling a sheen they otherwise wouldn't have.
    But, like I said, I really haven't a clue what I'm doing!

• Not an AB effect. But TC-performer should go on this list.

• @Matt_Fletcher_2000 said:
    Not an AB effect. But TC-performer should go on this list.

I totally agree with this. As for effects, I agree with crystalline, plus Echo Pad, and Harmony Voice. It has Virsyn's Reverb, but then also delay, and filters and the ability to create harmonies with different octaves. Universal app too which is a plus. Bitwiz sits in the effect slot, as does the often overlooked GrainProc.

• Most the stuff I'd recommend has already been said I would second crystalline in the fx slot, also something like samvada is good for drone type sounds, sliver is also pretty good if you feed it the right stuff. Found using xynthesizr for a touch of background hypnotics sounds good for soundscape experimentations, can add a bit of evolution and is great for tweaking.

Although this is clichéd, getting a reverb that has a long release/tail can turn almost anything into an soundscape, think audioreverb can have a very long setting, maybe a bit of eq after, so it's not like the pirate ship after you've had loads of candy floss. Found using vio can be hit or miss, but when it works sounds great in the background to layer stuff up.

One thing though, I was using a guitar loop through turnado, it actually sounded like the loop was singing in places, I had a religious experience and forgot to save my patch, I've tried to recreate it again but to no avail, I like using guitar apps via fx's to get soundscapes and deep trance like sounds, it may just be my simple herb altered mind, as it doesn't seem to work on my petula.

• I think any of the modular synths such as SunVox, Audulus, Jasuto, Modular, and zMors Modular could be used for soundscapes.

Effect apps like FLUX:FX, DFX - Digital Multi-FX, Deregulator, Turnado, other Sugar Bytes apps, the Holderness apps, the AUFX apps, and apeSoft apps can all alter your sound quite a lot.

• Surprised no one mentioned sliver..not a synth per se..but for evolving soundscapes it is top notch..run it through crystalline or aufx space...