Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Four cable method

I'm sure some guitarists here are familiar with the four cable method for hooking up the dirt effects prior to your pre-amp and time based effects prior to the output amp. With state saving and some flexibility in various guitar amp/effect modeling apps, I figured it should be possible on iOS. Here's my take on it. I'd love to see/hear others.

Note that I put the time based effects after the cab, but it's easy enough to put them before. Also, I'm not aware of any app that lets you split the pre and power app out as I described, so this still isn't fully a 4cm solution. I'm thinking/hoping Bias might work.

Audiobus preset '4cm1': http://preset.audiob.us/hk6a99E4TgZl2M0

http://ipb.mediamanhost.com/images_eq/4cm.jpg

Comments

• Closer with Bias...I was able to use just the pre amp, but it still runs through the full amp in Tonestack..

Audiobus preset '4cm2': http://preset.audiob.us/irjF7IrIQZfK9Rv

• Looks very intriguing, nice work @funjunkie27 ! What effects are you achieving with this method?

• Thanks @TGiG, but I'm still not there yet. I think it's feasible using two devices, with audio streaming over bt between the two. If you could run two instances of Bias, it should be possible too. I just realized there's a separate iPhone ver. of Bias. That might be the answer. I'll have to give it a go this eve. Just concerned how my iPad4 or mini retina will fare with 2 versions of Bias, one or more effects apps and AB running.

If you have Tonestack and Bias, you can see what I was using by downloading the saved states, but really I'm just trying a proof of concept at this point without worrying about the tone. If it's possible, you should be able to get virtually any effect the the apps provide. The point is that in an analog world, the distortion effects are usually preferred before the pre amp and the time based effects between the pre and post....or even after the cab.

• Love information like this. Thanks!!!

• edited May 2015

@funjunkie27 said:
    or even after the cab.

Tonestack can do fx between the amp and the cab.

• audio streaming over bt

I'll be curious to find out if that works. I wouldn't bet on it because of latency.

• This is some fancy stuff. Couldn't this be done completely in ToneStack? I thought that all the fx /amps/cabs can be ordered however you please. Then work some magic with the A/B/Y pedal

• True @solador78, but not between the pre and post amps.

@miguelmarcos - that was my concern as well. Hopefully I'll find some time tonight to put it to the test.

• edited May 2015

FX Loops are more for live playing out of a cab. It's probably better in most cases to put delays and reverbs after the power amp or even the cab in a closed environment like an ipad.

Alternatively, you could use pedals for your preamp, then put delays, then use the amp as a clean power amp. At the end of the day, it's the same thing.