Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Fail

Lord knows (apply deity of choice) that we're quick enough to complain about some fritz in a line of code or the impossibly uncool shape of some unfortunate lozenge-like button when it comes to music apps, but I thought I should create a small cul-de-sac of venting opportunity (or perhaps guilt admission) having just spent almost two hours in the closet upstairs (yeah, yeah) recording a 12 part harmony for a chorus I'm trying to spruce up.

Took a good while to get things set, but finally had Micswap into Stereodesigner and Flux and hooked into Loopy. Sang my enlarged and hardly perfect heart out. Was actually sweating (hey, it's hot in that little crawl space). Came down to the real world and ran it back. Not bad, not bad at all.

Opened Auria, sized up the spot of the first chorus, ready to paste it in, maybe add a little more sauce, getting there, making progress.

Except I recorded everything against a click track of 120 and the song (it says here) was recorded at 90.

No dog to beat, no cat to kick, think I might read a book (on paper).

/vent

Comments

• Been there. My cat's too fast.

• Been there too. And for people who paying!

Very sorry.

• It all works fine until you hit record! Then the gremlins come out, either distracting you and making you careless or hiding in the machine and causing glitches.

Just take solace in the thought that once the moment comes to get back to it, you have had a good practice, and now your ready for the killer take.

• I lost a ton of great takes (great by my standards anyway) recording into GarageBand. I'd go in to listen back to my great performance to find it'd stopped recording after the first bar. Everyone's a critic. Dust yourself down Johnny and do it again, and this time it'll be even better.

• The best takes are always those that get lost.

• It's always better the second time :)

And it's all part of the experience, you probably won't ever make that mistake again!

And Johnny, a 12 part harmony? Can't wait to hear that!

• Ouch. What doesn't kill you...
    Feeling your pain; although, I've never sang 12 vocal parts. I must say that, like @richardyot, I'd love to hear it.

• I think the first thing I'm going to do in the afterlife is to listen to all of those crash casualty gems.

• Land of the lost takes.

• edited April 2015

When I read this I seriously had a mental image of JG looking remarkably like Harry Potter singing his heart out in his little closet under the stairs. Aww!

• Thanks one and all. Slept it off, as ever :)

As for the 12-part harmony, that may have been misleading :) 12 Loopy slots with some mug singing along in each doesn't always make for guaranteed beauty but my mum would have loved it dammit :)

Fall down seven times, get up eight etc.

• You can time stretch that in auria no problem. All is not lost.

• @mrufino1

As my dear friend Freddie Buechner always says:

"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don’t be afraid."

All good.

BTW, saw your picture there tough guy; the pictorial representation of deeply saturnine with the threat of occasional violence. Good stuff :)

• Thanks. I have no idea what that means but thanks! Jeff is the photographer (bald guy with the beard who plays guitar), so whatever it represented he did it! It was fun to find those recordings today though, I haven't heard them in a long time, although since I mixed all of them I know them very well.

• edited April 2015

^^

best is when you listen to your masterpiece the next day

and you think, what the fuck was I thinking yesterday when I did this - this is just awful, lol

we've all been there

• My reaction is usually 'was I really that drunk?'

• Ah, days long gone by at this point, but the not-so-subtle difference between the drunk mix and the stoned mix...one happysloppy, the other v-e-r-y slow.....

• Haha! Well, this is about 9 years later, so actually my thought was, "this is pretty good, I'm not as bad as I thought." Plenty of day after wondering a every day though still. It's probably best not to listen for a while and have a different perspective.

The best part is I don't have any of those sessions anymore, or at least I don't know where they are, so I can't mess with it whether I like it or not!