Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Best/user friendly module synth app?

Yeah so that says it pretty much eh. I looked around for opinions , and that confused me haha, But anyway, is there any general idea which modular to start with. I am not well schooled in the whole modular thing,

Comments

• what do you mean by "module synth" ?

• Yeah so that says it pretty much eh. I looked around for opinions , and that confused me haha, But anyway, is there any general idea which modular to start with. I am not well schooled in the whole modular thing,
    Attach Poll

• Sorry mate, Modular Synth

• Do modular synths process audio in any new or interesting ways? I am thinking so, but the the modular synth would need an input and out(aka interface) which I have. OR is audio processing a bit umm "not worth it" with modular synths. Just focus on the synth, or audio in is dope too>? Thanks

• @oceansinspace said:
    Just focus on the synth, or audio in is dope too>? Thanks

Audulus does both. With audio in, you could for example build an envelope follower like they have in the moogerfooger mf-101.

• edited March 2015

Audulus is a good app for this. But let me just say that it is rather for the more experienced. There are many preconfigured patches available, so you might get into it without much knowledge and learn a lot.

Another option is iVCS3. This app can process audio input to modulate anything in the patch matrix.

I recommend both apps for these kind of applications.

• I think modulars are generally not user friendly. They are incredibly flexible by virtue of the potential complexity.

@oceansinspace said:
    Do modular synths process audio in any new or interesting ways? I am thinking so, but the the modular synth would need an input and out(aka interface) which I have. OR is audio processing a bit umm "not worth it" with modular synths. Just focus on the synth, or audio in is dope too>? Thanks

What is it that you're wanting to do with a modular? Just curious or is there something you're hoping it will facilitate? That will probably help with getting a good recommendation.

That said, it's hard to be Audulus on iOS. Very powerful but just as importantly when starting off: there's lots of pre-existing patches out there for you to download and experiment with/learn from. The app 'Modular' is probably a bit easier if you just want to focus on synthesis. It has named modules and fixed positioning and the like.

• edited March 2015

Even though it doesn't have audio in, or AB - it does have IAA - zMors Modular is another option. It's easier to patch than the rest in my opinion (this if you're planning to patch) (which I assume you are if you're going modular). It's also includes modules that are IAPs in other synths, and has some 60+ presets including experimental patches that FSU good. Tim Webb has a tutorial that is a good point of entry

http://discchord.com/blog/2014/11/6/zmors-modular.html

It's got a lot of math for 10 bucks, and I think it's got a great sound

• Thanks you all. I was just trying to make sick and crazy patches, but have 'some idea of what is going on. I like to reverse engineer a patch I like and see why it sounds so appealing. And as a circuit bender I like noise so to speak. I just got soundscape and its supposed to be a circuit bending type thing. I can't figure it out haha, but I will! Is soundscape modular)since their is a patchy? I am out of my element so feel free to make fun of me.

SO, for learning and also making tracks(oceans in space). The audio input is not a huge deal. Hmmm, this is helping me decide.

• How is Tera Synth or Modal pro? That one named "Modular" is downloaded and it has a weird unlocking system that I don't want. It wanted loot to patch things into certain modules. The recommendations are nice and learning about this concept is fun.

• Any reasonable iOS synth with good and flexible modulation routing will help you get there. Modulation routing is a fixed layout synthesizer's way of trying to incorporate the best parts of modular synths while streamlining the mundane/annoying stuff.

You can do quite a lot in that vein with a synth like Cassini or Thor if you take the time to learn the guts. But yes, you can probably take it further with a modular like Audulus. You have to weigh the flexibility of hand rolling everything against the speed boost of having some things handled for your by default (like polyphony or what seems-like-it-should-be-simple Keyboard->OSC->Filter->Envelope->output routing).

Not at all trying to detract. I love modulars like Audulus and wish I had the cash for a big old hardware modular. Just saying that if 'sick and crazy' is the goal there are other ways to get there.

• @syrupcore said:
    Just saying that if 'sick and crazy' is the goal there are other ways to get there.

Gadget is the fastest/easiest way to "sick and crazy" . And it even includes a basic modular synth.

• @oceansinspace said:
    How is Tera Synth or Modal pro? That one named "Modular" is downloaded and it has a weird unlocking system that I don't want. It wanted loot to patch things into certain modules. The recommendations are nice and learning about this concept is fun.

I am a huge Tera fan. I like it a lot. But I still dont get what you mean by reverse engineer? You mean you want to build your own sounds? Yes, Tera can do that. I use it for that. I will start by listening to an iTunes track with a synth I like, and then keep flipping back and forth and tweaking tera until I get something similar. Is that what you want to do? Additive synthesis.

• Caustic is not only a synthesizer/sampling studio it is also a powerful modular environment. It has an modular synth inside his rack and you can use other Caustic devices (sampler, vocoder, fx) inside the modular synth. The resulting sonic possibilities are endless. A true desert island app ...

• Sweet, thanks. So it looks like about $10 will get me started. Not bad considering the analog modulars are uber expenssive.

Oh, and reverse engineering in my brain: I find a patch I like and them dismantle(virtually) it in a systematic way so I can see why the tone sounds the way it does. Otherwise if I start with say a basic square wave and then go banana's turning knobs I get into sfx land way too much, haha. I like going all mad hatter but I also need semi usable patches.

• So slightly OT maybe... but do people see "SpringSound" as modular? (I love that synth on my iphone for making weird noise)

And how about Zed Synth? (Which scares me).

• edited March 2015

@solador78 said:
    Gadget is the fastest/easiest way to "sick and crazy" . And it even includes a basic modular synth.

uhm,what?"Sick and crazy"is not really what i connect to Gadget :) And what you call"basic modular"is not even half modular.Or maybe with some good will :)It delivers just a few very basic sources/destinations that are prerouted in most other synths.There is no type of FM possible (which is most often needed for"sick and crazy"imo).As much as i love gadget but the"patchbay"of Dublin was a big disappointment when i opened it the first time.

I would throw in TC-11 and Thor.The latter is considered half modular (it has a fixed number of modules)but you can route pretty much everything to everything so in my opinion it's more"full"modular.It has a great interface and it's easy to archieve"sick and crazy"with it.Whatever that means for each individual person :)

• edited March 2015

Oh, and reverse engineering in my brain: I find a patch I like and them dismantle(virtually) it in a systematic way so I can see why the tone sounds the way it does. Otherwise if I start with say a basic square wave and then go banana's turning knobs I get into sfx land way too much, haha. I like going all mad hatter but I also need semi usable patches.

Makes sense. I am totally into this stuff. That what I tinker with Tera on. A great resource on SOS

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/allsynthsecrets.htm

• @Crabman said:
    uhm,what?"Sick and crazy"is not really what i connect to Gadget :) And what you call"basic modular"is not even half modular.

Here's the original quote..

@oceansinspace said:
    I was just trying to make sick and crazy patches, but have 'some idea of what is going on. I like to reverse engineer a patch I like and see why it sounds so appealing. I just got soundscape and its supposed to be a circuit bending type thing. I can't figure it out haha, but I will! SO, for learning and also making tracks(oceans in space).

It sounds to me that our neophytic friend doesn't know what he wants and is likely looking for a basic DAW/sequencer with a range of built in sounds to learn from. The strength of Dublin is not so much its modular "features", but rather it's modular "character", within a larger musical ecosystem.

• edited March 2015

I get then impression that the poster is probably not ready for a true modular yet. Instead, I'd suggest getting a matrix synth instead. Matrix routing is a pretty good advancement, a next generation if you prefer, from a pure modular. Matrix-patched synths also usually have normalised patching to begin with, so there won't be disconcerting silences for months or weeks until learning improves, which may well be the predicted situation with a real actual physical modular, in this case.

The original idea of a matrix was similar to a modular in that all inputs and all outputs are available, but instead of them living on their source or destination modules, they’re brought out to a kind of grid, arranged conceptually in a sort of rows/columns arrangement. All the outputs are on one axis, all the inputs are on another axis, and you decide where to intercept the grid and therefore plug an output from something into the input of another thing. It’s a pretty good way of working in my opinion, rather than the comparatively messy and unergonomic way of patching cables all over the place (I say this even though I started on modulars).

Oberheim were the primary pioneers of the electronically-selectable matrix arrangement of patching (and EMS the pioneers of physical matrix patching), and now many other synths have adopted the matrix way of doing their thing. In most cases, this is with not much loss of capability compared to a real modular, but bringing a great amount of usability too.

You see, the original title is an oxy moron — if there’s a modular synth, it’s probably not user friendly. If it is user friendly, it’s probably not much of a modular synth, in reality. However, matrix patching changes that — you get power, and user friendliness, or at least, some level of user acquaintance. It might recognise you from the other side of the street but it wouldn't lend you money.

• I like Tera but as it is very flexible and feature rich it can be daunting to use. Thankfully it does have 900 presets. I do wish there was tutorials on it or a better manual with examples. I think you gotta start simple and then gradually learn how to make more complex sounds. All in all I think Thor would be a good choice as it sounds good and has a pretty comprehensive layout.

• You are probably right in that I am not ready for a hardcore modular. I get your point. The concept is intense.
    I want to learn too so user friendly is a bit lazy sounding I agree. Hmmm, all this is helpful. Well as a caveman I like patch bays, and ended up with I-ms 20, but I swear I don't your discount opinions! From what my homie said its not A "true " hardcore modular. A good start, and since I can call him on phone I was like... OK. I like all what you say. you are smart peeps

• @oceaninspace iMS-20 is a great synth, period. I think it was the first standalone synth I bought for iOS. What's cool it is also semi-modular (you can get sounds without patching anything at all, but you can patch the virtual cables to make new sounds)
    There's a thread recently in the forum that can steer you toward web resources to get you deep up in it. IMS-20 will allow you to fsu, also.

• Florida State University?

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:
    Florida State University?

I hear their QB knows a thing or two about fsu.

• edited March 2015

When I was much younger my friends fucked up actual shit, a little later my friends did it with ordnance and pyrotechnics on location, now they do it with Sound Itself

• iMS20 is actually a great intro-to-modular choice. Plenty of videos too.

• And it looks very manly also, like lying underneath a truck and changing the oil with cables.

• Ims-20 was what first got me interested in iOS apps. I probably learned about it through the Korg forums page. Been a fun ride every since looking back.