Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Technical (memory) question (iPad)

I've just turned on my iPad4 64 wi-fi and I've noticed it a bit lazy. After running cMemory, it reported only 28 Mb of free memory...558,3 after a deep refresh.

How is this possible from a fresh start?

Any hep - idea will be welcomed.

Thanks.

Comments

• Backup and sync in iTunes may help, as may resetting the iPad (press and hold power key until it reboots). Not sure about the "how" question tho...

• Well, it's a random issue. I'm afraid Apple is forcing me to updating to iOS 8.X

• I suspect Apple has some jiggery pokery going on whereby everything that can sit in memory to speed things up when re-opening/re-starting apps, updating/backing up to icloud, background refresh, app background downloads....and on and on....

....my Air 2 tends to have around 300mb free and when I do a memory refresh it goes up to 1331mb free!!.....wtf Apple?

I can't help to think that the iPad should already perform this refresh function automatically but still the memory available is an issue....

• edited March 2015

Hi.

After some tests, my theory is that could be the mail app running in background. For any reason, yesterday I turned off the iPad while the "turning" icon was running on the top left, and it never stopped.

And this morning when I turned it on, it was again...with about 60 Mb of free RAM, so I've disabled the "Push" notifications and suddenly, the icon was gone and the RAM went to about 400 Mb. Now I have selected "Obtain" every 30 minutes (my main account is on my phone, not my iPad).

Maybe this one could be help to anyone else.

• Yep, definitely have to disable Push notifications. Those seem to continue even when the mail app is forced closed.

• There are a lot of background processes that can be turned off. They might be handy if your iPad is a mobile office but not so much for a mobile music device.

• @anickt said:
    There are a lot of background processes that can be turned off. They might be handy if your iPad is a mobile office but not so much for a mobile music device.

Only really took notice of this recently (phone and pad) and it makes a good amount of difference I find....

Here's a pretty straightforward How-to Geek piece on what you might start out looking at:

http://www.howtogeek.com/209768/use-manual-refresh-to-save-battery-life-on-any-tablet-or-smartphone/

• @fjcblanco, my mini retina, has started rebooting when using Safari, been doing it a few days now, but seems to be doing it more and more, so I checked my SYS-Activity app to discover only about 20mb of free memory. I did a hard reset, still only 20mb, I'm on iOS 8 BTW, nothing of note I've installed, seems something's strange going on?

• @knewspeak, the fact you're running iOS 8 discard Apple conspitation about updating... :)

This weekend my device worked fine. I'll checked out my handy solution along the week, but this is one of the problems about the Apple closed system: you really don´t know completely what it's happening in the background.

It could be the Safari app, but you couldn't forget the Appstore app, even if you have disable the automatic updates. Some apps like Appsfire tends to freeze frequently, so the issue seems to be related with updating services.

Obviously, it could be as well a corrupted system issue but, in my case, until I get this is the last solution, I'll avoid to reset the iPad as new.

• When I'm ready to do anything beyond noodling, I just do a hard reboot. For me personally, this feels more like a best practice than an inconvenience.

• @fjcblanco, Safari, has always crashed in IOS 8, along with other strange behaviour, but fairly infrequently, maybe pure coincidence but just as you have similar problems, with the low RAM, my problem has started at the same time, this morning my iPad must have rebooted while using Safari about 20 times.

This weekend, I wasn really using it that much for browsing, but was creating a UI for my Arturia Spark with TB Midi, it never crashed-rebooted once.

I have App Store auto update disabled, but I do have push-notifications enabled so I may turn them off to check, but I did have a few tabs open in Safari, so I closed a lot of them, now I can at least compose this explanation, without rebooting, thanks for your post at least it's kind of good to know that it's not just happening to me.

• Come back to this thread to say that things are getting worse.

Today, I've turned on my iPad (I assume is like a fresh start), and after several seconds the device rebooted by itself. Running cMemory showed about 40 Mb free Ram, so I really don't understand what's happening.

For now, I'm trying to avoid to do a "reset to factory settings", but I really don't know what to do... :(

• I had similar issue with IOS7. I did resolve it.

I deleted entire Itunes music library on my Ipad and emptied Cubasis trash along with all other extra loops or samples saved to various apps (Samplr, A-share, A-copy)

I also found that random interruptions of my WI-FI cause weird backlogs of storage and issues, especially with Cubasis.

Hope that helps.

• edited May 2015

Thanks, @RustiK, I'll follow that way. I'll empty all AS stuff.

• @fjcblanco, I've had similar re-boots on my mini retina, it seems to happen almost randomly, except that when it does - reboot, it does so for a few days - then all is OK again, then it's stable for quite a few days, then back to a few days of instability, this cycle seems to repeat, my ipad has lot of free space about 60gig, but like you said I usually find the RAM is really low, even after a reboot, I've noticed apps crash when mail is checked though, I really think it's has more to do with the services running in the background and my mini retina running low on RAM.

• Thanks @supadom, I'll check it out.

• Thanks, @supadom, very useful.