Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Messing about with making chords out of harmonics

Recorded entirely on BM2, I would love any feedback!

Comments

• Liked this a lot, listened twice. If I was in that room with you, I'd try to play a very straight 8 beat on the drums, maybe with a little lag but straight and simple to give that groove some room. I'd fail miserably because I'm a shitty drummer. Thinking something like John McEntire's motorik-meets-bossa-meets-ska style with Sea and Cake.

• 8 beats would work till the signature changes to 7/4!

• but thank you so much for your feedback

• Everything is in 1/1.

• Another quality contender for the never-to-be-had tattoo: Everything is in 1/1

• I'm confused, to my knowledge nothing outside of a metronome click is 1/1. But the portion i'm referring to is the B section at about 1 minute and 30 seconds, and it is indeed in 7. Sorry, I don't mean to be argumentative.

• No argument my friend, think of it more as a koan.

• the rest of the song is in 4/4, minus the little run I do at 20 seconds or so which is either in 6/8 or a 4 with a triplet feel, I'm not sure.

• edited February 2015

And I'm just being silly. I think it was John Frusciante who said in an interview 'Well, everything is in 1/1 if you think about it' and yeah, he meant metronomic. Which is precisely the sort of beat I'd be inclined to add to this.

Now to google "koan". Edit: Koan indeed.

Also "straight 8" is me not knowing the names of drum beats. I meant/mean, "I'd play the kick or something like a metronome and double the speed of the hi-hats." But bossa swung. I think. Just played it through the 7/4 bit on my desk and sounded pretty rad over here. :)

• "what is the sound of one bass slapping?"

• Tried to find a good John McEntire example but youtube and my need-to-work brain have failed me.

• If you guys liked the video consider subscribing! it will hopefully be the first of many to come

• Ah, but the sound of one bass slapping is easily achieved.

• overhere we like to say 'everything is (on) the one' : )

Quinnh me likes this, where are you from?

• edited February 2015

Cincinnati ohio! An exceptionally kind place to be a musician

• Damn. I convinced myself you must be in Vermont. Nice bass wherever you're slapping it.

• We like you on the bus! Take your talent and whip out some full blown awesome tunes for us to enjoy. That was good stuff.

• edited February 2015

@QuinnH said:
    "what is the sound of one bass slapping?"

One too many! ;-)

• @syrupcore said:

Also "straight 8" is me not knowing the names of drum beats. I meant/mean, "I'd play the kick or something like a metronome and double the speed of the hi-hats." But bossa swung. I think. Just played it through the 7/4 bit on my desk and sounded pretty rad over here. :)

Straight 8 beat would typically refer to feel, in which you would play 8th notes on the hi hat, or perhaps a ride cymbal or floor tom. But feel wise, meaning not swung. So john bonham, for example, did not play straight 8th feel very often, while every song I've heard by the Go-Go's is as straight 8th as it gets.

That feel can be applied to any time signature. Just ask Rush about straight feels in times that are not divisible by 2...while you're asking them, ask them to stop! ;-) Yes, I'm the one bassist in the world who is not a rush fan.

• I was in the ballpark with my fancy music talking words? Must be a solar storm or something. Yes then, I hear straight 8s—if the drums tried too hard to match the bass rhythms/phrasing, it'd ruin it for me. The straight 8s would serve as foundation around which the bass could dance in my mind. But not quite "straight 8" because I tapped it out with the hats just ahead of the beat, like reggae hats. I think. Thanks for the learnin'.

Also, don't tell anyone I said so but god bless you on the rush sentiment. I suffered being in high-school bands in the 80s and 1 out of every 3 people I had occasion to play music with wanted to play Rush songs.

• I always thought that Rush was musical Marmite, you either did or you didn't and I never did or could.

• edited February 2015

Funnily enough I was listening to Hemispheres this morning. I whipped my bass out with the intention of playing along, before quickly realising my foolishness and quietly putting it away again.

Geddy Lee - probably the best bassist I've seen live, with Lemmy a close second.

• Quinnh,that was beautiful.

you could get echo pad and use it as an iaa insert effect in bm2.....

• Very nice playing and composition @QuinnH. Am I the only one who can totally see Donald Fagen laying down some of his trademarked slick minimalist vocals over this?

@monzo I agree re Geddy and Lemmy, but would add Brian Ritchie to that list :)