Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Using Alesis Vortex keytar as a live iPad controller.

Well, hello. I am Al from New Zealand and this is the first time I have posted. I have just bought an Alesis Vortex wireless keytar. I plugged the receiver dongle into my iPad Air2 via the camera connection kit and I managed to play all my music apps (Sample Tank, Galileo, iLectric etc) flawlessly. What a lot of fun! I am wondering - is there a way to call up each of my music apps using midi through Audiobus? The Vortex sends midi program change, so is Audiobus able to call up a music app for peformance while muting all the others? I can't be going back to the iPad each song and bringing up the next sound needed for the next song manually. What I am looking for is a hosting program similar to Forte (VST host) on Mac and PC. Can Audiobus do what I want? Please be patient - I am totally new to this form of music making.

Comments

• Sounds amazing. I’d love to know Where are you up to with this? I can hardly find anything about using the vortex 2 with iPad apps. Will audiobus remote do what you are asking?

• @Tronlady I don't believe Audiobus remote will do what Al was asking about (in 2015!). But @Michael has indicated that he'll be working on MIDI bindings for the AB release that comes after the next monster release--at that point, Audiobus will do exactly what Al was asking about. There are many of us who play live who will then commence singing/dancing in the streets. :)

• I shall indeed! Finally :wink:

• " I plugged the receiver dongle into my iPad Air2 via the camera connection kit and I managed to play all my music apps"

Holy cow. OK I am not sure how I missed this (old thread maybe). But I just assumed since it wasnt bluetooth wireless that the vortex wouldnt work for me. I will eventually need a replacement for my AX7 at some point. Very cool!

• The Yamaha Bluetooth dongle will work with your ax7 by the way.

• I had/have (depending how you look at it) the original Alesis Vortex Wirless. It’s kind of cool, but the thing that stopped me from using it is how horrible the keys feel (also how silly I feel holding a keytar). They are synth action but there is quite a bit of travel to get the key fully pressed down. Hopefully, they greatly improved the feel of the new one, or I don’t recommend it.

I actually did 2 back to back gigs with it as part of my small rig. The only time I ever used iPhone on a stage. I avoid needing program change by using no more than 16 sounds so they each have their own MIDI channel. I usually only need 8 or so sounds.

• edited July 2018

@BiancaNeve said:
    The Yamaha Bluetooth dongle will work with your ax7 by the way.

That's what I am using currently but if/when my AX7 gives up the ghost, the MD-BT01 will be useless with the Vortex.

• @DMan said:
    I had/have (depending how you look at it) the original Alesis Vortex Wirless. It’s kind of cool, but the thing that stopped me from using it is how horrible the keys feel (also how silly I feel holding a keytar). They are synth action but there is quite a bit of travel to get the key fully pressed down. Hopefully, they greatly improved the feel of the new one, or I don’t recommend it.

I actually did 2 back to back gigs with it as part of my small rig. The only time I ever used iPhone on a stage. I avoid needing program change by using no more than 16 sounds so they each have their own MIDI channel. I usually only need 8 or so sounds.

You need a black, sleeveless turtleneck, and the stepped pyramid flowerpot hat.
    Then you will feel cool playing that keytar.
    B)

• @CracklePot said:

@DMan said:
    I had/have (depending how you look at it) the original Alesis Vortex Wirless. It’s kind of cool, but the thing that stopped me from using it is how horrible the keys feel (also how silly I feel holding a keytar). They are synth action but there is quite a bit of travel to get the key fully pressed down. Hopefully, they greatly improved the feel of the new one, or I don’t recommend it.

You need a black, sleeveless turtleneck, and the stepped pyramid flowerpot hat.
    Then you will feel cool playing that keytar.
    B)

Refer to my profile pic :)