Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Apps with Multi output ports to Audiobus...

I have found 2 so far Loopy and Mint.io.....is this an underused feature does anyone think ?

Also is it possible to view this without having to open the app in the background ? Maybe in an Audiobus update ?

Used this a few months ago and forgot how extremely useful it was....

Would be great on any multi timbral apps and should be a standard but seems to get overlooked IMHO.

Anyone use this feature ?

Does anyone have a list of what apps support it ?

Comments

• I use this with Loopy HD as an input. I wish it was standard as it would be great with most drum machines (Funkbox, DM1 and DrumJam) and Thumbjam, amongst others.

• Would definitely benefit the workflow....even increase the input ports from 3 for these particular apps to enable live recording direct to all 8+ separate tracks internally would be awesome....

• In the future this might be possible without having to launch the app in question first. We're still working on improving the UI for it.

• I agree. Some apps would have no need for this but i can think of tons that it would be awesome for. Any input DAW, drum apps, apps with synth and drums (iPolySix iMS-20 Alchemy etc...) .. I think it may just have to do with how the app handles it's sending of the audio.. I think most devs wouldn't consider coding their audio engine to send multiple audio streams out because it's not a standard ios option.. Why waste time making that work when there is no use for it.. well. WAS no use for it.. So i'm not so sure it's just a matter of people not wanting to do it as much as people don't want to completely recode their audio engine two support multiple audio streams out. That's my guess. Maybe any new apps would have an easy time implementing something like this, especially ones using TAAE. Obviously loopy works cause it's Michaels baby. Maybe Mint.io falls into the "new" app category, I don't think they existed pre AB. :-)

Sure would be awesome if this was more widely used though, for sure. :-)

• edited April 2013

Just for the record, both ThumbJam and DrumJam have multiple outputs.

In ThumbJam, you get main out, loop out (all loops mixed), and individual instrument outs for the two possible loaded instruments. In DrumJam you get main out, loop out (all loops mixed), and live pad out.

I get the feeling that you guys are asking for per-drum, or per loop outputs though, right? I can't help but wonder that the setup required for a user would become pretty annoying, pretty fast.

• edited April 2013

I guess the vision would be to select say Drumjam as an input and have an option that says 'stem output' or something.
    When selected it would stay in 1 input module on the Audiobus connections screen. You would then open up Cubasis and it would show for example 8 tracks for Drum Jam by description eg congas, maracas, toms.

This could be the same for Loopy but all loops would be recordable to separate tracks at the same time.

It maybe an impossible dream but it could be made slick for the user in theory, although I have no programming experience with the exception of some C64 basic back in the day!

Its good to hear from Sebastian that it may be possible to show the multi outputs before launching the apps that support it first as it may be something people miss which is a really great feature.

Thanks for all your comments.

• Hi I have a hard time understanding wether AB3 supports multiple output or not...

• @Malhomme said:
    Hi I have a hard time understanding wether AB3 supports multiple output or not...

not natively yet, need third party app like AUM or MiMix

• I hesitated when AB3 went out between buying it over AB2 I already had, and switch to AUM. It seemed to me that both AB and AUM were doing the same job, so buying both made no sense...

• @sonosaurus said:
    Just for the record, both ThumbJam and DrumJam have multiple outputs.

and Patterning!

• Oh I do not have any interest in these. I play live with pedals, hardware loopers, AB on my iPad with loopy hd, FLUX:FX, some other effects, midiguitar2 and a variety of synths. I was hoping to built a multichannel live set up.

• edited October 2017

Lack of multiple outs on apps is one of the main reasons I painstakingly still track all of my iPad ideas to DAW