Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

The Loudest Sound (Nine Inch Nails - Burn (remix))

edited March 2013 in Creations

Here it is:

It's my 2nd ever remix attempt. Done entirely on iPad. This is kind of half way between a remix and a cover. It's kind of like I played his song how I'd play it and Trent sang it karaoke style. I only used two pieces of music from the original song for this, the weird dampened plucked synth at the very beginning and the Main guitar riff from the "chorus" and outro. Everything else is completely redone from scratch. I played a lot of the riffs similar to the originals (best i could figure out) and some riffs are completely original. :-)

I used:
Audiobus
BeatMaker2 (with various custom drum kits and synths)
Korg's iPoly Six
Korg's iMS-20
Animoog
and samplr

The nine inch nails samples were taken from rock band. You can grab them and many more here: http://www.ninremixes.com/multitracks.php I'd love to hear your version of this!

Here is the original version by Nine Inch Nails from the movie Natural Born Killers (soundtrack) for comparisons sake:

I hope you like it

Comments

• edited March 2013

Ryan...you looked to have arrived at the cliff edge and said, take me I'm yours.
    Takes balls,not easy to do.
    Luv it.

• Nicely done. Just curious, why keep one synth bit and one guitar riff? At that point, why don't you just do the whole thing (including vocals)?

• Heh Thanks man. Well I thought about it... but I was trying to do a remix and not a cover. I had to keep enough so it was still a remix, mostly just the vocals. The weird synth riff is just impossible for me to replicate, no idea what he did there but I really love it so I didn't want to drop it completely LOL. I actually did redo the guitar parts but it just didn't sound "full" enough so my guitars are all layered in there with the original guitar.

• Nice job @Ryan! I've never heard much of NIN, although I've heard of them for years...can't miss the bumper stickers. I need to check 'em out.

• Nice work...that snare sound is great and puts a lot of space in the mix...good job

• @Funjunkie27 Thanks! Yeah you should check out NiN for sure. :-)

@thesoundtestroom Thanks :-) It's a snare with no bottom wires layered with a steam effect to replace the wires. Used the BM2 keyboard sampler for that. :-)

• @Ryan....where do you suggest I start? I've checked a few things out on YT and see they're a group I could really get into...dark, but very talented...unpredictable...and smart...and probably never been accused of being mainstream!

• yes, good work :)

• @Evangelos Thanks!

@Funjunkie27 Wow that's a loaded question! lol Nine Inch Nails is really only one guy. Trent Reznor, he does all the writing, recording, producing, etc.. by himself. Has guys play the stuff live too but it's all the one guy. Just as an FYI. :-) Anyhow.. It is really difficult to tell you where to start. I guess the beginning, "Pretty Hate Machine" it's got a dark 80's sound.. It progresses from there. If you want the wow factor I think the 3rd full length album was probably the one that was most popular "The Downward Spiral" features songs like "Closer" and "Hurt" that you must be familiar with. Anyhow there are a lot of albums and most of them are remix albums.. They are remixes by Trent himself, worth getting. But the main albums in order oldest to newest are "Pretty Hate Machine" "Broken" "The Downward Spiral" "The Fragile" "With Teeth" "The Slip"

• @Ryan - yeah, I knew that Reznor was the driving force behind it all. He sounds amazing from what I've read online. I'll check out Downward Spiral to start, just to see if anything is famiiar, but if I like that, which seems pretty likely, I'll probably own his entire discography in a few months, since I'm so OCD when it comes to music! Thanks for the insight.

• Downloading now....damn you @Ryan! ;-). No shoes for the kids this month...oh yeah, they've all moved out anyway. Have you ever heard of Marillion? Nothing like NIN, but one of my faves. Check this out...

Marillion - Quartz - live from Cadogan Hall

via McTube for iPhone/iPad.

• @funjunkie27 Well actually you may be able to save some money at least. One of the cool things about Reznor is that he embraces free music downloads. In fact with every album since "with teeth" he has given the mp3's away free on his website on release day. As you can see here http://www.nin.com/albums/ you can grab the last two albums for free. :-)

Also I hadn't listened to Marillion before this. It was good. Kinda reminded me of Ween a little, kinda pink floyd a little. Good stuff. Thanks man.

• Thanks for the link @Ryan. Downloading a few now. Glad you like Marillion. I haven't heard of Ween either, so I'll add that to the list to check out. Definitely a bit Floydish, but probably closer to the Gabriel era Genesis, which has been my favorite for close to forty years! Yeah, I'm an old fart!

• edited March 2013

@funjunkie27 Ween is a funny band and very underrated. They do literally every style of music and range from awful on purpose to incredibly beautiful. They have a song for everyone. I once described them as "little kid music for stoned adults" which isn't entirely accurate but kinda funny. lol Here's a funny video by ween.. they like leggo. :-) I'll warn you that they have like 3 million songs and not many are the same.. might be hard to get into.

• Lol! With your description and the song title, I knew it would be worth listening to. Reminded me of Zappa meets the Talking Heads. Good stuff!

• @Ryan had to watch the vid again and can't stop laughing at that. It's got a great, funny groove too!

• edited March 2013

@funjunkie27 heh awesome. this one is equally fun to watch.

• @Ryan - great party music! My wife liked it too..and the calmer parts of NIN.....she left when Reznor got heavy though. I liked both sides though. Here's an old school one for you, that may give you an idea of how syncopated and fun things were in the day...

Gentle Giant - Cogs in cogs \ Proclamation

• heh thats awesome.. vaguely reminded me of Phish the way they jam. :-)

• I've known about Phish for a few years, but I've only listened to a few of his songs. I'll give them another try. Here's another more modern group that I like (sorry if anyone's upset that we've hijacked the thread!)

Sylvan-Vapour Trail.wmv