Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Send a message to Apple

UPDATE: Help make change! Please support http://www.change.org/p/apple-inc-lightning-to-usb-camera-adapter-with-charger and share as much as you can.

No doubt the new Air 2 looks amazing. But, it packs a ton of power with an even smaller battery. The time for a Powered/Charging Lightning to USB Camera Adapter is now. If you agree, please do the following:

1. Sign the petition linked to above.
  2. Also, fill out the feedback form: https://www.apple.com/feedback/ipad.html
  3. Paste in the link to the attached image
  4. Pray

Keep in mind that if this adapter was designed to work the same as the video version, using the charging port would be optional. So it would be a standard Lightning to USB Camera Adapter with the option to charge the iOS device, as needed.

Thanks

Powered/Charging Lightning to USB Camera Adapter
  1. Will it solve our charging problems once and for all?24 votes
    1. Yes! I want one and contacted them.
      33.33%
    2. Yes! I want one but am too lazy to contact them.
      45.83%
    3. No! I don't have a need for one of these.
      12.50%
    4. Bring on the gyros!
        8.33%

Comments

• Squeaky wheel gets the grease. If everyone who wants one does it, then you never know.

• We don't need to contact Apple. the Wej will solve the power problem:) It will also allow us to move the Ipad about freely (as opposed to the actual CONTROLLERS:)

• edited October 2014

What is the Wej?

• The Wej is a piece of hardware by Retronyms that is a power, USB, MIDI over Bluetooth for iPad.

• From the pictures it doesn't look like the wedj powers the ipad

• edited October 2014

@Paulinko, thanks.

@Dham said:

We don't need to contact Apple. the Wej will solve the power problem:) It will also allow us to move the Ipad about freely (as opposed to the actual CONTROLLERS:)

Close, but they have not solved the issue. There is no way to use any pro standard class-compliant USB audio interface while still charging the iOS device. And my fishman triple play has enough latency as it is. Converting it to bluetooth midi isn't an option for me.

• I also think a USB+power-option would be great. In the meantime, there's the option of using the old AV-cable (with a Dockconnector-to-lightning-Adapter), which has a USB for charging. I still use those things..(I know, I know, it's analog)... . Also, the iconnectMidi-things do this, don't they?

• edited October 2014

Apparently it does @BiancaNeve And it has the lights!

• edited October 2014

There is currently no solution that lets you use your preferred class-compliant USB audio interface while full blown powering/charging the iOS device, period.

Don't you guys deal with this power headache on a regular basis? Don't you use USB audio interfaces or do the majority of you stick with the iOS headphone output?

• I personally don't but I don't make music 24/7 either (as I used to). From what I read on this forum there haven't been many complains regarding the power issue even though there's quite a few in the recommend an interface thread. Probably not enough to convince apple to start manufacturing dongles. Have you thought of making a kick starter out of it?

• I would love to be the one who brings this solution to market but don't have the experience and frankly, I would never compete with Apple with this type of product. All they really need to do is make a simple adjustment to their adapter as shown above, hence the request to send them the feedback. Such a simple solution, yet such a problem solver.

• The only solution I can think of for 24/7 producing is finding a way to burn the same image onto multiple ipads, and charge one while using the other one.

Seriously, I thought that. My head started hurting when trying to figure out the execution.

• @johnfromberkeley Perhaps the new 'continuity' feature of iOS 8.1 could make that easier?

• I wrote my own request as a comment. Feel free to copy and paste:
    I would like to ask Apple to consider to introduce a USB camera adapter with an integrated charging port. This would allow musicians to use USB audio and MIDI devices with iOS devices in professional environments such as recording studios and concerts for an unlimited time. Ideally such a device would even include a 4 port powered USB hub as well in order to remove all the unnecessary clutter that a separate powered hub would add otherwise. Among musicians it is a major complaint about all current iOS devices that the battery doesn't last long enough to allow for long rehearsals, concerts, etc when connecting USB peripherals and running cpu intensive tasks such as multitrack audio processing etc. The possibility to charge the iOS device while using USB would remove this limitation.

• Before reading this thread i was thinking about enhanced cck connector on the way back home from work
    Gonna check dev program and mfi compliance.

• I think a powered USB device would be wonderful. I just got my first USB interface and it is a pain in the ass to recharge my iPad constantly.

• One thing to keep in mind is that the apogee interfaces do charge the ipad while in use. I understand the point of the thread is to make it so anything plugged in via cck can also charge, opening up many more options. However, there are some devices that will charge. My tascam im2 mic will also allow charging. As for apogee, I think only the quartet has audio and midi, and it is well out of my price range at this time, but it does exist. I have the apogee one and use it for audio while charging without issue.

I also run iSEM and sometimes drumjam, along with forscore and irealb on every gig (usually at least 4 hours) and don't run out of battery. Yesterday, however, a 1.5 hour skype call drained my battery from 99% to 30%, which I've never seen before.

Just some alternative points of view, I would welcome a charging cck with open arms.

• ugh...just had my battery die during a session and I thought of this thread...
    K.I.M.

• i was checking MFI programm and communicated with Apple about CKK with charging, also included Munibeast's text.

Today got an ansewer from them:

Unfortunately, your inquiry is beyond the scope of the MFi Program. It may be helpful to review the following pages:

http://www.apple.com/legal/intellectual-property/policies/ideas.html

Best regards,

• @goozoon umm...does that mean they are making one or that no one can make one?

• edited October 2014

It means they can make one and we can't consider it our idea (even if they got the idea from us telling them about it)

I wonder if it would be more effective to leave honest reviews on the apple store product pages? is the CCK functioning according to the intended purpose if there is no way to keep it charged? Will apple listen to a bunch of 2 star reviews?

Edit: at first glance, it looks like a lot of the one star reviews are already power related. Maybe there is hope that Apple is already working on a solution.

• Check this kit CY8CKIT-033A from Cypress it has all we need including charger
    Just need to find mfi contractor to buy the kit, without mfi you cant buy it.

moreover, i talked with Cypress guys and he told:

I'm not sure if Apple will allow an accessory that is similar to Camera connection kit with some additional features. Camera connection kit details are Apple proprietary and not exposed to MFi licensees.

However, it is possible to develop an accessory that is self-powered and provides built-in USB audio and MIDI interfaces (i.e. no USB ports are exposed like the Camera Connection kit, you can't plug-in downstream USB devices). This self-powered accessory can also charge the Apple device while streaming audio and MIDI data.

PS: Our development kit CY8CKIT-033A (available at https://mfi.avnet.com/) provides a platform for you to stream audio and MIDI data while charging the Apple device.

• edited October 2014

3rd party CCKs are always a bad idea so the thought of anyone making one besides Apple feels kinda icky. Ive tried several and always go back to an original due to various issues. I've never seen a CCK that is MFi but that is probably because Apple won't allow one to be made.

Aside from purchasing an audio/midi interface that also allows charging, all of which currently don't allow a USB hub so only 1 midi over USB device (if any at all) is allowed, we are at the mercy of Apple on this. If the HDMI adaptor has a charging port, not sure why the USB adapter does not also. Send them a message (or leave a poop CCK review)! :)

• I imagine because of their internal use cases. With the HDMI adapter the use case is watching a movie or 3. With the CCK it's to dump in photos.

• interesting...

what about something like this, inductive power:

http://www.hammacher.com/Product/Default.aspx?sku=83583

• It looks like the iPad has to be put into a sleeve (which connects to the iPad's dock port) so, yes, it charges the iPad but it doesn't allow a CCK to be connected as well.

• @WASHBOY it say's "The sleeve has openings that leave all iPad ports, buttons, and speakers accessible. "

• If it isn't connected to the Lightning port, how could it possibly be getting power to the battery?

• The picture shows the lightning port covered up, so their details aren't adding up...