Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Well this is bizarre - 7.1.2 with reverted apps is broken again after working fine for days :-(

13»

Comments

• Good points.

@MusicInclusive while turnabout is fairplay, please except my humble appology. You are trying to figure shit out and i am getting in the way, please forgive and carry on.

• I have been working through my frustrations. I have a lot on my hands right now (not music related) so I thought my issues with Audiobus would be fixed sooner or later. So I just ignored it. Time as gone by and it's getting worse. Yesterday I tried a simple aufx to loopy chain and man. How much time am I going to wait to make some music again?

And hey: I am NOT relying in music production for a living. So I imagine your frustrations.

• edited October 2014

Could it be something to do with an app's built-in store where you purchase in-app purchases? Were both devices in airplane mode prior to them being corrupted?

The reason I ask is I have a Zoom MS-100bt guitar effects pedal and (usually) every other Thursday a new effect is added to the Zoom StompShare app. This happens on the back end somehow without the app requiring an update. When you open the app on every other Thursday morning, a new effect loads and automatically appears.

It seems unlikely that something like this would cause a system to crash, but it is the only automatic background updating that I have experienced in an app where no app update is required. Maybe something happened in the Animoog store on the back end that caused a spike in resources in the app itself. Again, in my experience, Animoog is NOT the poster child for efficiency (in my testing it consumes almost 300MB of ram by itself) so it seems that it wouldn't take much to push it over the edge of what your iPad can handle when used in combination with other apps.

• I'd love to hear more on your thoughts on the Zoom @Ringleader. Sorry about going OT here.

• just looking at alternatives,@musicinclusive.
    audioshare would only be able to run 1 input app and 3 effect apps tho...so not much use.

...Ani does have a store issue....

Thank you for the feedback. Our engineers are aware of this issue, which appeared with the advent of iOS8. They are working on a patch to correct this problem. We apologize for the inconvenience and appreciate your patience and understanding.

ANDY HUGHES
    SERVICE DEPARTMENT MANAGER
    MOOG MUSIC INC

• Welcome to the Bleeding Edge gents...buckle up! lol

• edited October 2014

"When to update what and in what sequence?" is always the challenge and sometimes the failure of a software update system that only rolls forward and does not have a native rollback mechanism or facilities other than a restore to snapshot. There are no excuses to be had here because that was an accepted part of the iOS app culture from the beginning but the overall agreement there was to make sure you maintain parity with the OS. If you were an upstanding developer in for the long haul, no problem when the newer hardware didn't deviate so much in performance but now there is so much of a spread it's difficult for anyone. But regardless of these difficulties there are some rules you just shouldn't break.

So then let's introduce a 3rd party inter-app subsystem with all its potential layers of inter-app and OS version dependencies. That also should not be a totally crippling issue as long as the developer provides a mechanism to decouple the incompatible software from the incompatible subsystem. Well, it is an issue because there are no AB OFF/ON toggles in any of the apps I have. That blows. Also AB connectivity seems to be established on app startup. If my app isn't compatible for whatever reason above its going to throw an AB error in my face every time I start it even if I have no intention of using AB. That totally blows.

So now there's a critical update window for just about everything audio on iOS ensuring you will at least partially be damned if you do and damned if you don't for various reasons caused by various parties resulting in a pop up error that you cannot make go away.

How would you feel if every time you launched a VST it would lag, timeout and then pop up an error saying it couldn't launch or find some 3rd-party mixer application of this particular version? Really, that's what we have here. Damn, even KORG got themselves stuck with this crap instantiation on startup deal causing their apps to crash on start.

As a techie in another context (read brother from another mother) it strikes a ring of familiarity from days long past and lessons already learned through previous hardships by people famous and not.

"Yeah, so easy to implement, just add this snippet of code and you're good to go..... as long as it works..... and as long as you promise to manage and update your app along with iOS and AB..... but choose wisely because they may not always maintain parity. Oh and there's no toggle and ripping the feature out of the code and subsequent updating isn't really a solution or possibility but also going to be bad for your brand image. But it'll be awesome because this is the awesome sauce."

All this while trying not to eliminate your loyal, existing user base? No thanks, that's a long arc to a dead end and instances of user base abandonment. Sorry I don't have a solution. There really isn't one for a forward-only commit scheme. It's totally reliant on any and all developer parties involved to give people the options they need to KEEP RUNNING.

In short, all developer parties need to stop pointing fingers at each other and at documentation and making apologies and excuses then start being advocates for code parity by rolling solutions and knocking on doors to fix their stuff and do it in a way that persists through the next earthquake.