Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Dark matter cthonic synth. This thing looks great

It's another weird and wonderful russian synth. Been out about a year. My question is what is it and how do I make one in mirack or something?

Comments

• Cool one!

• Interesting instrument. It’s obviously got multiple oscillators and LFOs, and possibly a noise source. Oscillator sync is involved in places, overdrive also. And resonant filters, but the precise configuration is hard to figure out. At times it sounds like a combination of my two DecadeBridge synths (Cadence and Albers), but this is less flexible due to no patch points. Not a criticism, because this sounds marvellous.

• It gave me the inspiration to try pure noise files in BeatCutter. I used Brown, White, Pink and Ultra. Unfortunately I did them a bit short, 28 seconds, a minute would have been better. There's definitely something to work on. 🎧

• @bygjohn said:
    Interesting instrument. It’s obviously got multiple oscillators and LFOs, and possibly a noise source. Oscillator sync is involved in places, overdrive also. And resonant filters, but the precise configuration is hard to figure out. At times it sounds like a combination of my two DecadeBridge synths (Cadence and Albers), but this is less flexible due to no patch points. Not a criticism, because this sounds marvellous.

It does sound great! Thanks you’ve given me something to get started on

• @Pxlhg said:
    It gave me the inspiration to try pure noise files in BeatCutter. I used Brown, White, Pink and Ultra. Unfortunately I did them a bit short, 28 seconds, a minute would have been better. There's definitely something to work on. 🎧

Niiiiiiice!

• Cool! @Pxlhg

I have no idea what I’m doing in BeatCutter, but I sure do enjoy getting lost in it.

• @Edward_Alexander said:
    Cool! @Pxlhg

I have no idea what I’m doing in BeatCutter, but I sure do enjoy getting lost in it.

I love Glitchscaper and I have no idea how to get control over it or reshape it once it takes off. But cool noise work @Pxlhg

• @Pxlhg I’ve not used Beatcutter, but it’s now on my list for future experiments. Really like what you’ve done here.

• edited March 30

@bygjohn said:
    @Pxlhg I’ve not used Beatcutter, but it’s now on my list for future experiments. Really like what you’ve done here.

Well thank you! 😁

It's still my favorite of Igors apps but I wish he would go over it as there are so many mysterious things in there and I have a feeling he doesn't know all the parts of the monster he once created. Not joking.

It's a tough one to get acquainted with and many have given up (probably far more than not). Wish you the best though😃

• About Beatcutter… I’m not going to claim to be an Igor App Whisperer 😂 but I’ve found that once you find a bit of the logic, the rest starts to make more sense.

I’ve sometimes heard what sounds like voices emerging from the weirdness his apps create… and no explanation as to why they’d emerge.

Back on Beatcutter, there’s a little feedback trick explanation in the app user guide called “Feedback Mode”. It’s very easy to set up and pretty much the only way I use it these days.

If you set it up a few times and tinker a little during feedback playback, you’ll start to sort of get what’s going on.

Here’s the set up instructions copied from the in-app user guide:

Feedback mode

Feedback is one of the most interesting features of this app. This is not like analog feedback when positive loop gain occurs at some more or less stable resonant frequency. It looks more like fractals when the next level is similar to the whole structure, but in this case with constantly changes. We can say that it works like a sound structure that evolves and changes itself. This is an incredible ability to create perfect sound abstractions, unrelated to any external samples or signals and it opens up a huge potential for experimentation and inspiration.
    This mode is very easy to use. The button "F-C4" on the panel "Reverb / Output" allows you to send the mix signal of all 8 output buses (without reverb) to the input "C4". That is, it will replace the signal from the external input to the feedback signal.
    Since this is not analog feedback, it cannot occur without an initial signal. To initial activate the feedback, you must first charge the sample matrix with any external source signal. After that, you can switch all input buses to input "C4" and after a while it will be a completely different signal generated as a pure abstraction without any reference to external sources.
    You can also use feedback and external sound sources at the same time on different input buses. It can also give very interesting results.
    One of the possible workflows:

• Turn on the feedback mode with the "F-C4" button on the "Reverb / Output" panel.
    • Set the symbol "x" to position "01 Input sources" to lock change the input source configuration when the template changing.
    • Generate some kind of starter template using the "Random" button. Apply the template or turn on the "Instant" mode.
    • In the "Inputs" panel for input buses 2 - 8, set the input source to “I1”. These buses will get the same signal as Input Bus 1.
    • For Input Bus 1, set the input source to "File" or external input "C1", whichever you want to use to initial filling the sample matrix. If you selected a file as the source, assign the file to Input Bus 1 using the "File" button, then start playback.
    • On the main screen, check that the matrix cells are being recorded. Wait until the matrix is at least 50% full or wait for a signal at the main output.
    • For Input Bus 1, set the input source to "C4". You can now stop playback or turn off the external input signal. The app will generate complex sound structures by itself in the feedback mode, without any external signal sources. In most cases, this process will be endless and non-repetitive, which is a perfect abstraction.
  • @skiphunt said:
    About Beatcutter… I’m not going to claim to be an Igor App Whisperer 😂 but I’ve found that once you find a bit of the logic, the rest starts to make more sense.

I’ve sometimes heard what sounds like voices emerging from the weirdness his apps create… and no explanation as to why they’d emerge.

Back on Beatcutter, there’s a little feedback trick explanation in the app user guide called “Feedback Mode”. It’s very easy to set up and pretty much the only way I use it these days.

If you set it up a few times and tinker a little during feedback playback, you’ll start to sort of get what’s going on.

Here’s the set up instructions copied from the in-app user guide:

Feedback mode

Feedback is one of the most interesting features of this app. This is not like analog feedback when positive loop gain occurs at some more or less stable resonant frequency. It looks more like fractals when the next level is similar to the whole structure, but in this case with constantly changes. We can say that it works like a sound structure that evolves and changes itself. This is an incredible ability to create perfect sound abstractions, unrelated to any external samples or signals and it opens up a huge potential for experimentation and inspiration.
    This mode is very easy to use. The button "F-C4" on the panel "Reverb / Output" allows you to send the mix signal of all 8 output buses (without reverb) to the input "C4". That is, it will replace the signal from the external input to the feedback signal.
    Since this is not analog feedback, it cannot occur without an initial signal. To initial activate the feedback, you must first charge the sample matrix with any external source signal. After that, you can switch all input buses to input "C4" and after a while it will be a completely different signal generated as a pure abstraction without any reference to external sources.
    You can also use feedback and external sound sources at the same time on different input buses. It can also give very interesting results.
    One of the possible workflows:

• Turn on the feedback mode with the "F-C4" button on the "Reverb / Output" panel.
    • Set the symbol "x" to position "01 Input sources" to lock change the input source configuration when the template changing.
    • Generate some kind of starter template using the "Random" button. Apply the template or turn on the "Instant" mode.
    • In the "Inputs" panel for input buses 2 - 8, set the input source to “I1”. These buses will get the same signal as Input Bus 1.
    • For Input Bus 1, set the input source to "File" or external input "C1", whichever you want to use to initial filling the sample matrix. If you selected a file as the source, assign the file to Input Bus 1 using the "File" button, then start playback.
    • On the main screen, check that the matrix cells are being recorded. Wait until the matrix is at least 50% full or wait for a signal at the main output.
    • For Input Bus 1, set the input source to "C4". You can now stop playback or turn off the external input signal. The app will generate complex sound structures by itself in the feedback mode, without any external signal sources. In most cases, this process will be endless and non-repetitive, which is a perfect abstraction.

I've definitely heard voices coming out of noinputmixer during ling late night sessions! That thing is a real EVP machine. :)

• So I wrote to the guy who builds the synth asking for some tips and he sent me this.... Something to get started in mirack:

1. Dark Matter has 6 drone oscillators - so you can add some wave generator in your software I suppose
    2. There is also a white noise generator
    3. There is a weird random noise generator which I have no idea how you would emulate digitally.
    4. All signal goes through the filter which can be controlled by LFO
  • @sevenape said:
    So I wrote to the guy who builds the synth asking for some tips and he sent me this.... Something to get started in mirack:

1. Dark Matter has 6 drone oscillators - so you can add some wave generator in your software I suppose
    3. There is a weird random noise generator which I have no idea how you would emulate digitally.

Interesting. Quite straightforward apart from the weird random noise generator. It’s giving me ideas WRT patching my Albers drone synth (hardware by DecadeBridge), which has 4 oscillators, 4 LFOs and a filter. There’s a noise source in my Mother 32. Hmmm…

Returning to our sheep, as the French would say, all of the above is available in MiRack, including some weird noise generators - obviously not the same as the one in the Dark Matter, but there are options depending on whether you want audio out of it, or use it for modulation.

• @bygjohn said:

@sevenape said:
    So I wrote to the guy who builds the synth asking for some tips and he sent me this.... Something to get started in mirack:

Interesting. Quite straightforward apart from the weird random noise generator. It’s giving me ideas WRT patching my Albers drone synth (hardware by DecadeBridge), which has 4 oscillators, 4 LFOs and a filter. There’s a noise source in my Mother 32. Hmmm…

Returning to our sheep, as the French would say, all of the above is available in MiRack, including some weird noise generators - obviously not the same as the one in the Dark Matter, but there are options depending on whether you want audio out of it, or use it for modulation.

Yeah there are definitely options!! Will have fun trying them out! Can’t wait for the miRack “front panel” update to finish it all off

• @sevenape said:

@bygjohn said:

@sevenape said:

Yeah there are definitely options!! Will have fun trying them out! Can’t wait for the miRack “front panel” update to finish it all off

Yep, that front panel thingy would be fantastic for making playable instruments like this. I’ve also been trying to get a working version of a Fjaerlett after watching Hainbach’s latest video.

• @bygjohn said:

@sevenape said:

@bygjohn said:

@sevenape said:

Yep, that front panel thingy would be fantastic for making playable instruments like this. I’ve also been trying to get a working version of a Fjaerlett after watching Hainbach’s latest video.

oh oh oh me too!!! Mirack is so fun for that kind of stuff. My version is a bit harsh sounding

• @sevenape said:

@bygjohn said:

@sevenape said:

@bygjohn said:

@sevenape said:

oh oh oh me too!!! Mirack is so fun for that kind of stuff. My version is a bit harsh sounding

Mine sounds a bit like that too - I need to watch the video again to judge how it sounds compared to the real thing.