Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Looking for an auv3 midi sequencer with trigger sync

I am trying to find a midi sequencer - ideally a lightweight piano roll or something which supports polyphony, and which can be clocked via an external midi trigger, as opposed to just syncing to the hosts bpm/tempo information. I need it to advance one step of the sequence every time it receives a trigger via MIDI, either via an unused note or CC. Similar to how a lot of modular sequencers can be used.

I have considered both Atom 2 and Helium but I can't find any information on if this sort of syncing is possible.

Any pointers in the right direction would be much appreciated!

Comments

• wimwim
    edited March 27

If you put sequencer advance in the forum search box you'll get a pretty good list of threads where this has been discussed.

(Drambo is the primary solution that ticks all the boxes in your post that I can think of from memory of those threads.)

• Drambo with it's sequencer module :)

• +1 Drambo
    Also, I’ve done it with Helium in the past.

• Thanks a lot all, will look into Drambo. I wasn't aware this was referred to as sequencer advance, that's good to know.

@Blipsford_Baubie said:

It would be great if Helium can do this as I get the feeling it might be a bit more lightweight than Drambo which seems to be designed to do a lot more. Do you happen to recall what this setting is called in helium? No worries if not, just can't seem to find detailed documentation without purchasing the app and checking myself.

• I don’t recall, but I can find out for you before my day is done.

• Have you considered checking out modular-focused sequencers? They might offer the trigger-based advancement you're looking for. Also, try reaching out to communities dedicated to Atom 2 or Helium for more insight.

• Two Mozaic script on patchstorage do this... Infinity Looper and Hypnosequence. Infinity is polyphonic but you record the notes into the sequencer and don't have a visual of the notes.

I like making a sequence then using Steppolyarp or Poly 2 to drive it. Really great grooves.

• @micro64 said:
    Thanks a lot all, will look into Drambo. I wasn't aware this was referred to as sequencer advance, that's good to know.

@Blipsford_Baubie said:

It would be great if Helium can do this as I get the feeling it might be a bit more lightweight than Drambo which seems to be designed to do a lot more. Do you happen to recall what this setting is called in helium? No worries if not, just can't seem to find detailed documentation without purchasing the app and checking myself.

I doubt Helium is lighter weight than Drambo for this task. Being a modular environment, Drambo only has to deal with the modules loaded in any patch. If you're only using Drambo as a midi sequencer, it should be quite light. In theory, the workload of each should be about the same. After that it comes down to which is coded more efficiently. I doubt there's a significant enough difference in that respect to make any measurable difference.

• edited March 29

Apologies, I was wrong @micro64
    Helium has a step record feature. That’s what I was remembering. Not what you are asking for though.

• I don’t own this one, but it’s my understanding that Arther kerns’ mididreams allows moving through its sequence using midi triggers

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/mididreams/id1553799788

I don’t know if it’s cpu efficient but it LOOKS efficient, & is under 2 mbs in size.

I’m very tempted to try it myself, as I want a sequencer that’s driven by midi notes/gates/triggers.

• @drconfusion said:
    I don’t own this one, but it’s my understanding that Arther kerns’ mididreams allows moving through its sequence using midi triggers

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/mididreams/id1553799788

I don’t know if it’s cpu efficient but it LOOKS efficient, & is under 2 mbs in size.

I’m very tempted to try it myself, as I want a sequencer that’s driven by midi notes/gates/triggers.

It doesn't consistently work for me. When using arps/sequencers like aphelian, steppolyarp, fuge machine, auto bass generator, or riffer to trigger notes it consistently will show a step advancing without playing the note every handful of events. At least 2 silent notes per 16 note sequence. . Mozaic hypnosequence is rock solid with those same apps for note triggering but does not have patterns (mididreams receives program changes to change patterns). I should probably hard reset and see if it makes a difference. I love mididreams otherwise.