Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Neon Generative AUv3 Sequencer.

https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/neon/id6471043963

The modifying in this goes pretty deep. The UI control is super slick the colours are popping hence the Neon Name. Marmite me thinks you love them or hate them !

Comments

• Love the green and black retro computer look. Won't be buying though, too many complicated apps that I'll never have the time to master.

If only more devs would let you try before you buy with an IAP to fully unlock...

• edited March 27

@FPC said:
    Love the green and black retro computer look. Won't be buying though, too many complicated apps that I'll never have the time to master.

If only more devs would let you try before you buy with an IAP to fully unlock...

You can choose your colours. The red is pretty full on !

@Samu love to hear you comments on this one could you start at that for long periods! The font size mind gets larger as you change controls so that’s a plus.

• edited March 27

@Jumpercollins said:

@FPC said:
    Love the green and black retro computer look. Won't be buying though, too many complicated apps that I'll never have the time to master.

You can choose your colours. The red is pretty full on !

@Samu love to hear you comments on this one could you start at that for long periods! The font size mind gets larger as you change controls so that’s a plus.

I’m over the ’instabuy’ stage and have never been a generative sequencer fan, might take a look if I’m blessed with a promo code :sunglasses:

• Interesting, but doesn’t work with iPhone unfortunately..😿

• edited March 27

Cool - and instabuy for a sequencer collector...
    I only wished it would run on iOS 12, so I could use it on one of my older pads as well.

• I also took the jump. :-) Personally, I’m not really af fan of the UI, prefer stuff with less attitude, but the features look very interesting, and I am a sequencer junkie too, so looking forward to delve into it.

• No iPhone support…. Can it be enabled for iPhone?

• edited March 27

The font choice is quite offputting to my eye, but if I can overlook that I might bite as it seems an interesting concept.

• Just want to chime in after playing a bit with it, that this is actually a very nice app, and definitely worth a shot, if you like experimental sequencers. At frist I thought it was more or less the same idea as Cykle (which I really like), but it definitely does it’s own (pretty wild) thing. Using the modifiers it is easy to get something semi-random, but not too random, going, and I find it especially great for rythmic stuff. Have had lots of fun pointing it at Fractal Bits for some evolving rythms.

Only downside for me is, that I really to not like the UI. The way values jump around above/below the main sliders, and the way values get larger when scrolling through options for the modifiers is visually comfusing for me, and an option to tone it down would be very welcome. (Not a fan of the werid choice of font too.) I do not mind alternative interfaces, love Igor Vasilievs apps for instance, but the difference for me is that for his apps the UI makes perfect sense, when you crack the logic of the app, whereas for this one it feels like it doesn’t really add anything beside distracting flash.

Anyway, hope that did not sound to harsh. YMMV, and this is still a fun and original app, I definitely can recommend trying.

• @catbox said:
    Just want to chime in after playing a bit with it, that this is actually a very nice app, and definitely worth a shot, if you like experimental sequencers. At frist I thought it was more or less the same idea as Cykle (which I really like), but it definitely does it’s own (pretty wild) thing. Using the modifiers it is easy to get something semi-random, but not too random, going, and I find it especially great for rythmic stuff. Have had lots of fun pointing it at Fractal Bits for some evolving rythms.

Only downside for me is, that I really to not like the UI. The way values jump around above/below the main sliders, and the way values get larger when scrolling through options for the modifiers is visually comfusing for me, and an option to tone it down would be very welcome. (Not a fan of the werid choice of font too.) I do not mind alternative interfaces, love Igor Vasilievs apps for instance, but the difference for me is that for his apps the UI makes perfect sense, when you crack the logic of the app, whereas for this one it feels like it doesn’t really add anything beside distracting flash.

Anyway, hope that did not sound to harsh. YMMV, and this is still a fun and original app, I definitely can recommend trying.

I fully understand you. The project has a feedback page on Canny, and I can already see a lot of UI related feedback coming in. I do love this kind of experimental Sequencer. While I like the shrill colours, these rolling menus are difficult to operate, and the font choice together with the changing character size are a pain in the eye.

• edited March 28

@catherder said:

I fully understand you. The project has a feedback page on Canny, and I can already see a lot of UI related feedback coming in. I do love this kind of experimental Sequencer. While I like the shrill colours, these rolling menus are difficult to operate, and the font choice together with the changing character size are a pain in the eye.

Ha, Catherder and Catbox! :-) I think we are on the same page. I actually also like the colors, and am all for devs chosing a different approach. The basic design with the big sliders and then the modifers underneath also works really well. We’ll see how the project matures. It’s already a useful and fun app, so perhaps there will be an option to tone down stuff a bit in the future.

• @catbox said:

@catherder said:

Ha, Catherder and Catbox! :-) I think we are on the same page. I actually also like the colors, and am all for devs chosing a different approach. The basic design with the big sliders and then the modifers underneath also works really well. We’ll see how the project matures. It’s already a useful and fun app, so perhaps there will be an option to tone down stuff a bit in the future.

Have you tried it with melodic sequences? The app looks powerful... What's 'wild' about it?

• @NoncompliantBryant said:

Have you tried it with melodic sequences? The app looks powerful... What's 'wild' about it?

Not yet - just been playing with rythms for now. :smile: hm…I was probably thinking of the way it feels easy to deal the complexity and slight randomness up or down in very organic way that feels different to me than other sequencers I have tried. As mentioned, Cykle probably come closest, but I think this one do it’s own thing.

• @catbox said:

@NoncompliantBryant said:

Not yet - just been playing with rythms for now. :smile: hm…I was probably thinking of the way it feels easy to deal the complexity and slight randomness up or down in very organic way that feels different to me than other sequencers I have tried. As mentioned, Cykle probably come closest, but I think this one do it’s own thing.

Thanks for the concise answer. I think I’ll try it!

• hey! thanks for your interest in Neon. just wanted to pop in here to share that i posted a video yesterday that demonstrates a bit of what the modifiers system is capable of:

it’s heavy on the talking, so if you just want to hear the results, i recommend skipping to the recap towards the end (see the chapter list in the description).

-Aaron (dev of Neon)

• @a_m said:
    hey! thanks for your interest in Neon. just wanted to pop in here to share that i posted a video yesterday that demonstrates a bit of what the modifiers system is capable of:

it’s heavy on the talking, so if you just want to hear the results, i recommend skipping to the recap towards the end (see the chapter list in the description).

-Aaron (dev of Neon)

Hmmm... definitely more interested in this app after this video demo. I don't mind the interface either. I'm only concerned that the control of the complexity might be a notch outside of my own knowledge level ;) but, it also looks like you could definitely experiment with little knowledge and still get musical results. Thanks! I hope you do more of these demo videos for this app! :)

• @a_m said:
    hey! thanks for your interest in Neon. just wanted to pop in here to share that i posted a video yesterday that demonstrates a bit of what the modifiers system is capable of:

-Aaron (dev of Neon)

Ok, just bought this based on this video… and yes, I was able to come up with interesting musical sequences by more or less randomly changing states and modifiers without knowing what I was doing. :) I’ll watch this demo again before experimenting more, but again… it’d be cool if you made more demo videos so that I could more quickly learn how to control this new sequencing gem :)

• Quick question… does anyone know if you can set States to play in sort of a song mode, ie. Set Neon to play State A completely 3 times, then auto advance to State B to play 4 times, then auto return to State A to play again, or end?

• a_ma_m
    edited March 28

@skiphunt said:
    Quick question… does anyone know if you can set States to play in sort of a song mode, ie. Set Neon to play State A completely 3 times, then auto advance to State B to play 4 times, then auto return to State A to play again, or end?

yes... there is a metasequencer... when you start dragging a state, you'll see the UI for it pop in... drop it on the slot and it will stay there. you can set how many pulses each state in the metasequence gets. just make sure to turn the metasequencer on in the settings panel on the left.

if you want to use it for more complex arrangements, it responds to MIDI program change messages to switch states, but you'll need to change the "Clock Source" setting in the standalone app to external and make sure Neon is receiving actual MIDI clock messages (which some hosts like AUM do not actually send). i'll probably make a video about this at some point. This is the method I use with my setup where a Squarp Hapax is the master MIDI device and I have it send program changes when it starts patterns.

another alternative is to configure your host app to change Neon's Queued State parameter... like in Loopy Pro you could set up a row of buttons that change Queued State to values 0-7 and then map those to MIDI CC's or whatever you like.

but yea... the metasequencer is the easiest way to do it quickly :)

• Oh I am loving this - thank you! :p

I love the whole aesthetic. I love how it all just works, how you can see everything happening, how easy it is to just tweak a parameter, how powerful it is, the seamless pre-set load and the metasequencer, also how the settings reveal editing for each modifier and being able to change the clock division too. Super super super.

• I need another sequencer like I need another hole in the head, but the video has me sold. Except for one thing. If it's never planned for iPhone then I'm not interested (until some weak moment where I'll surely cave). I try not to buy iPad only apps when I can control myself.

@a_m - any chance there will be an iPhone version some day?

(fwiw, I like the interface and don't share the criticisms voiced up-thread.)

• @a_m cool 😎 thanks 🙏

• This is the generative sequencer I’ve wanted for a long time. Set up a sequence and then add as much or as little variation as you want. I was in Tangerine Dream territory within 5 minutes of buying it.

Gavin had some good suggestions in his demo video e.g. changing parameters on finger release for live performance. I found the gui pretty easy to navigate but some things are a bit tricky like the hide modifier button is pretty tiny. I’m nitpicking tho - it’s a brilliant app!

• edited March 29

Hi @a_m , There are a lot of things to like, many mentioned already, and a few: not.

I think you work on a 12,9' as on the video you seem to have a lot of space all the time but I have an 11' and in AUM some things got hard to see and you have to turn stuff on and off, and some longer menu's you can't reach the values end to end.

I did get some hanging and other strange behaviour (AUM), if I find a way to reproduce I'll let you know with a video.

You obviously made it through many settings like in the video but did not offer any presets for us to start with, why?🤔

There are some colour variations on offer and I wonder if you could maybe .. p l e a se .., do one without the glow (neon), like plain white on black. No biggie, just a nice option to have as I for one don't like the glow on a UI.

I guess the 'rolling wave' menu's take some getting used to as I see in the video you just choose very quick whereas I really have to focus to get the one option I want, not unusual on iOS selectors but, still.

Anyway, thanks for a nice app and for being here, checking in😃

• @rheslip said:
    This is the generative sequencer I’ve wanted for a long time. Set up a sequence and then add as much or as little variation as you want. I was in Tangerine Dream territory within 5 minutes of buying it.

Gavin had some good suggestions in his demo video e.g. changing parameters on finger release for live performance. I found the gui pretty easy to navigate but some things are a bit tricky like the hide modifier button is pretty tiny. I’m nitpicking tho - it’s a brilliant app!

Yep - I've hit the delete modifier button instead of the hide one a couple of times...😩

• edited March 29

Is it possible to make the AUv3 version advance through the steps/stages with note or other clock messages that are not host related ?

• @a_m I just want to say I love this thing. It’s minimalist and fun and a little gonzo.

• @catherder said:
    Is it possible to make the AUv3 version advance through the steps/stages with note or other clock messages that are not host related ?

Not that I noticed, don't think so.

• edited March 29

Just trying it now. Once you get past the NEON!!!!!! ;) , it is a very cool sequencer, with the emphasis on a super tweakable generative toolset. Got it generating a very nice evolving pattern in RingsFX right now, and I’m finding it easy to play with, definitely not one of those apps where you spend all your time trying to understand things, just set it running, and start tweaking. And for a fiver, it’s a bargain. I like it.