Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

AuV3 Plugins Causing Latency Issues?

Hi,

I’m pretty new to Loopy Pro so please forgive any ignorance! I’ve been playing around and adding a few plugins to my input to get my mic sounding how I want it for all my clips, but I’ve noticed that now there is an unworkable amount of latency.
Is this something I’m misunderstanding, or will I have to find a way around it somehow?

I appreciate any help with this, thanks!

Comments

• wimwim
    edited March 19

@MattR said:
    Hi,

I’m pretty new to Loopy Pro so please forgive any ignorance! I’ve been playing around and adding a few plugins to my input to get my mic sounding how I want it for all my clips, but I’ve noticed that now there is an unworkable amount of latency.
    Is this something I’m misunderstanding, or will I have to find a way around it somehow?

Are you using a limiter with lookahead? That's usually the most significant contributor. Some limiters have the option to disable lookahead (at the expense of some amount of distortion under high amounts of limiting).

• wimwim
    edited March 19

Buffer size is also significant. To reduce latency, use the lowest buffer setting you can get away with before getting audio glitches. Mute your audio input when not actually recording to "idle" the plugins and reduce CPU use.

• @wim said:

@MattR said:
    Hi,

Are you using a limiter with lookahead? That's usually the most significant contributor. Some limiters have the option to disable lookahead (at the expense of some amount of distortion under high amounts of limiting).

You may have solved it, I’ll play around with it tomorrow but I didn’t know lookahead created latency! I have a noise gate with lookahead that may be causing a problem, thanks!

• @MattR said:

@wim said:

@MattR said:
    Hi,

You may have solved it, I’ll play around with it tomorrow but I didn’t know lookahead created latency! I have a noise gate with lookahead that may be causing a problem, thanks!

By is nature lookahead creates latency.

If that doesn’t solve it by itself, listing all the effects in the chain will help. Pitch-shifters also tend to introduce latency.

To isolate the culprit, turn all the plugins off and add them back one at a time till the culprit reveals itself.

• edited March 19

@wim said:
    Buffer size is also significant. To reduce latency, use the lowest buffer setting you can get away with before getting audio glitches. Mute your audio input when not actually recording to "idle" the plugins and reduce CPU use.

Note that muting a channel only idles effects on that channel if it is an AUV3 instrument channel OR if you specify input muting by long-pressing the mute button. By default , muting is post-fader and does not idle effects.

• @MattR said:

@wim said:

@MattR said:
    Hi,

Yes, lookahead means that the plugin reads in audio for the lookahead time in order to process it before sending it out. Think of it like the several second delay on a live radio talk show to give time to bleep out swear words.

• Lookahead creates latency because unfortunately, either we're not living in a block universe, or if we do, nobody has managed to devise a way to reverse movement along the t axis yet 😢