Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Looking for an easy basic IAA FX rack for Audioshare

My Dad wants to record in Audioshare and I thought it would be nice for him to be able to plug in an easy to use IAA FX rack. (AU and AUM etc is not an option in this case).

Any suggestions?

Comments

• edited March 17

What do you hope to do with this IAA FX rack? Preprocess the signal being recorded, process the monitored signal during recording, or process the playback?

You could consider iFX Rack, MixBox, or Vintage Rack. I'd pick iFX Rack, because I know it, and it is pretty comprehensive. It even includes a bunch of reverb IRs in the "Fantasy Verb" module.

Edit: Deleted some non-IAA entries (oops). There are also the NA (Nembrini) single effects, which are free.

• Gospel Musicians IFX Rack works as an IAA.
    https://appsliced.co/app?n=ifx-rack

• @uncledave said:
    What do you hope to do with this IAA FX rack? Preprocess the signal being recorded, process the monitored signal during recording, or process the playback?

You could consider iFX Rack, MixBox, or Vintage Rack. The free versions of THU and ToneStack Pro have some reasonable guitar-oriented effects.

Just processing the input and recording the whole shebang like this.

The challenge is finding apps that still support IAA. Looks like Vintage Rack still does! Thanks!

• @Samu said:
    Gospel Musicians IFX Rack works as an IAA.

Can you confirm with a screenshot in Audioshare? The app store listing does not mention IAA (unless I missed it?)

• Such a shame this one does not support IAA. Has the right level of ease of use...

• @AudioGus said:

@Samu said:

Can you confirm with a screenshot in Audioshare? The app store listing does not mention IAA (unless I missed it?)

Bummer. It loads and works perfectly as IAA in AUM but fails in AudioShare which just reminded me that AudioShare for me personally is dead, dead, dead...

• edited March 17

@Samu said:

@AudioGus said:

@Samu said:

Bummer. It loads and works perfectly as IAA in AUM but fails in AudioShare which just reminded me that AudioShare for me personally is dead, dead, dead...

:( Ahh yah bummer, IFX Rack was looking like the front runner. My Dad just likes playing and never got into production/tech so Audioshare is about as advanced as I should get. Thanks for checking!

• @AudioGus said:

:( Ahh yah bummer, IFX Rack was looking like the front runner. My Dad just likes playing and never got into production/tech so Audioshare is about as advanced as I should get. Thanks for checking!

Indeed, there's almost no audio-recorders (DAWs excluded) that support recording thru plug-ins but there's a bunch of audio-editors that allow recording and processing with plug-ins after recording. A free one to check is WaveBox.

My Dad is friends with Voice Memos on his iPhone for quick recordings :sunglasses:

• You could go straight into Tone Stack Pro and record in that app with the tape deck, and skip the whole Audioshare thing.

• edited March 17

@CracklePot said:
    You could go straight into Tone Stack Pro and record in that app with the tape deck, and skip the whole Audioshare thing.

Yah, perhaps... I do have that one... lots of buy this, buy that going on, heh which will make him grumpy.

• @AudioGus said:

@CracklePot said:
    You could go straight into Tone Stack Pro and record in that app with the tape deck, and skip the whole Audioshare thing.

Yah, perhaps... I do have that one... lots of buy this, buy that going on, heh which will make him grumpy.

Do you have loopy pro? If so you could set up a simple one clip template. If you make him part of your family share group, it will be free.

• @espiegel123 said:

@AudioGus said:

@CracklePot said:

Do you have loopy pro? If so you could set up a simple one clip template. If you make him part of your family share group, it will be free.

Hmmm, interesting idea! I don't have it but maybe now is as good a time as any to get it. Hmmm....

• AudioEffX is an easy to use, good quality and inexpensive option that supports IAA https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/audioeffx/id1173816162

• @AudioGus Does it have to be AudioShare mate? Your pops could, for instance, use Garageband. Set the BPM lower and the number of measures to like 300 for the section. Then iFX can be used in an effects slot. Requires a little more work to set up than AudioShare, but it should work a treat. Hopefully one of these days @j_liljedahl can update AudioShare to utilise AUv3 plugins in place of IAA if indeed a new version of AudioShare is to be released.

• @wired2moon said:
    AudioEffX is an easy to use, good quality and inexpensive option that supports IAA https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/audioeffx/id1173816162

Oh my! Well that certainly checks all the boxes (much thanks!) but unfortunately when I try to use it as IAA on my iPad I cannot adjust the reverb and flanger. That side of the app seems dead to input.

Are you able to adjust them on yours in IAA mode? Hoping it is just my model.

• @jwmmakerofmusic said:
    @AudioGus Does it have to be AudioShare mate? Your pops could, for instance, use Garageband. Set the BPM lower and the number of measures to like 300 for the section. Then iFX can be used in an effects slot. Requires a little more work to set up than AudioShare, but it should work a treat. Hopefully one of these days @j_liljedahl can update AudioShare to utilise AUv3 plugins in place of IAA if indeed a new version of AudioShare is to be released.

Hmmmm, yah it would be cool if he got into Garagband. Maybe I will try and wrangle a session with him over face time somehow with various devices and see if I can sell him on it. When he gets into things he can explore and figure stuff out. It is just that initial hump he needs to get over. All right, I will give it a try, would probably be good for him heh.

• @AudioGus said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:
    @AudioGus Does it have to be AudioShare mate? Your pops could, for instance, use Garageband. Set the BPM lower and the number of measures to like 300 for the section. Then iFX can be used in an effects slot. Requires a little more work to set up than AudioShare, but it should work a treat. Hopefully one of these days @j_liljedahl can update AudioShare to utilise AUv3 plugins in place of IAA if indeed a new version of AudioShare is to be released.

Hmmmm, yah it would be cool if he got into Garagband. Maybe I will try and wrangle a session with him over face time somehow with various devices and see if I can sell him on it. When he gets into things he can explore and figure stuff out. It is just that initial hump he needs to get over. All right, I will give it a try, would probably be good for him heh.

I think so too. And Garageband is hella powerful in so many other ways too besides being a decent recording app. I think your pops will have a blast. ☺️

• @AudioGus said:

@wired2moon said:
    AudioEffX is an easy to use, good quality and inexpensive option that supports IAA https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/audioeffx/id1173816162

Oh my! Well that certainly checks all the boxes (much thanks!) but unfortunately when I try to use it as IAA on my iPad I cannot adjust the reverb and flanger. That side of the app seems dead to input.

Unfortunately I can’t test as I don’t have the app, though was close to pulling the trigger while back. @VirSyn are you aware of IAA issues?

• edited March 20

@wired2moon said:

@AudioGus said:

@wired2moon said:

Unfortunately I can’t test as I don’t have the app, though was close to pulling the trigger while back. @VirSyn are you aware of IAA issues?

It seems to be a very specific bug on my M1 ipad where if I run Audioshare first then get it to load AudioEffx as IAA in the mic fx slot, that it is slightly messed up like this and the right side controls are broken....

If I run Effx first then audioshare and add it to the mic fx as IAA it works properly like this....

So not a big deal, especially considering it works 100% fine on my ipad mini2 no matter how I load it. So I assume it should work for my Dad's 2018 base model. Thanks again for recommending it!

• @AudioGus said:

@wired2moon said:

@AudioGus said:

@wired2moon said:

It seems to be a very specific bug on my M1 ipad where if I run Audioshare first then get it to load AudioEffx as IAA in the mic fx slot, that it is slightly messed up like this and the right side controls are broken....

If I run Effx first then audioshare and add it to the mic fx as IAA it works properly like this....

So not a big deal, especially considering it works 100% fine on my ipad mini2 no matter how I load it. So I assume it should work for my Dad's 2018 base model. Thanks again for recommending it!

Launching an IAA before the connecting it to a host is the best practice, in general. Starting around iOS 13 or 14, launching from a host has been increasingly unreliable.

• edited March 20

@espiegel123 said:

@AudioGus said:

@wired2moon said:

@AudioGus said:

@wired2moon said:

>

>

Launching an IAA before the connecting it to a host is the best practice, in general. Starting around iOS 13 or 14, launching from a host has been increasingly unreliable.

Yah, I am aware of those issues. This is the first time I have seen an IAA app launch but be faulty though. Typically they just hang without a preload, if there are issues. Ultimately I just want to keep it as easy as possible for Dad. He frustrates easily. So hoping it just launches well on his end.

• @AudioGus said:

@espiegel123 said:

@AudioGus said:

@wired2moon said:

@AudioGus said:

@wired2moon said:

>

>

Yah, I am aware of those issues. This is the first time I have seen an IAA app launch but be faulty though. Typically they just hang without a preload if there are issues. Ultimately I just want to keep it as easy as possible for Dad. He frustrates easily. So hoping it just launches well on his end.

A drawback of doing that is also that it often creates a zombie that wears the battery down because force-quitting the host often leaves the iaa app running as a zombie that can’t be force quit.

• @AudioGus said:

@espiegel123 said:

@AudioGus said:

@wired2moon said:

@AudioGus said:

@wired2moon said:

>

>

Yah, I am aware of those issues. This is the first time I have seen an IAA app launch but be faulty though. Typically they just hang without a preload, if there are issues. Ultimately I just want to keep it as easy as possible for Dad. He frustrates easily. So hoping it just launches well on his end.

What would be easiest is just a single app to load standalone. IAA connectivity is always going to frustrate.

Is there anything simpler than GarageBand to load standalone?

• @gusgranite said:

@AudioGus said:

@espiegel123 said:

@AudioGus said:

@wired2moon said:

@AudioGus said:

@wired2moon said:

>

>

What would be easiest is just a single app to load standalone. IAA connectivity is always going to frustrate.

Is there anything simpler than GarageBand to load standalone?

I found a couple that feature wise should have fit the bill but were somewhat janky. I think one was called FXMic or something to that effect. Ahh well, he has pedals he can use so not a big deal.

• @espiegel123 said:

@AudioGus said:

@espiegel123 said:

@AudioGus said:

@wired2moon said:

@AudioGus said:

@wired2moon said:

>

>

Yah, I am aware of those issues. This is the first time I have seen an IAA app launch but be faulty though. Typically they just hang without a preload if there are issues. Ultimately I just want to keep it as easy as possible for Dad. He frustrates easily. So hoping it just launches well on his end.

A drawback of doing that is also that it often creates a zombie that wears the battery down because force-quitting the host often leaves the iaa app running as a zombie that can’t be force quit.

Ahh forgot about the zombies, consarn it!

• Elastic FX offers 4 slots to select from 40 stereo effects for $9.99. Works in AudioShare and leaves 2 more slots open there.

• @McD said:
    Elastic FX offers 4 slots to select from 40 stereo effects for $9.99. Works in AudioShare and leaves 2 more slots open there.

I do have and love Elastic FX but think my meat and potatoes father would tap a few of the trippier FX, grumble something about kids these days and promptly smash his iPad into a million pieces.

• @AudioGus said:

@McD said:
    Elastic FX offers 4 slots to select from 40 stereo effects for $9.99. Works in AudioShare and leaves 2 more slots open there.

I do have and love Elastic FX but think my meat and potatoes father would tap a few of the trippier FX, grumble something about kids these days and promptly smash his iPad into a million pieces.

I did wonder about how dramatic the FX should be: for safety AudioEffx is pretty tame because each effort starts with very sensible defaults and changing them requires digging a lot deeper. That AudioEffx rack is standard on many Virsyn apps like AudioLayer. I wonder if there’s a good IAA “Channel Strip”-like app: EQ+Compress+Verb.

• My first recommendation is AudioEffX. If that's too vanilla then iFX Rack.