Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Who's using Esi Xjam 16 Pad controller? Is it iPad and iPhone friendly?

edited March 7 in Hardware

Who's using Esi Xjam 16 Pad controller? Is it iPad and iPhone friendly?

Does it need a power bank, or does it run happily with the iPad for power?

How are the pads on it, nice? Sensitive?

What other pads are they similar to in quality?

Any issues I need to be aware of?

Comments

• edited March 8

Apologies for not actually answering your question, but the M-VAVE Smc-Pad is excellent and much cheaper. Really well made and highly user configurable. Pads feel good to me. I’ve not attempted any velocity curve adjustment, but I believe you can do so in the Cube Suite software app.

Connects via Bluetooth, usb-c also, but I’ve not tried that. Internal rechargeable battery. The knobs are encoders.

I bought on Aliexpress and it arrived within a week to the UK (this isn’t the exact link I purchased from, just meaning to show the product):

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005006443088320.html

• @steve99 . Just a suggestion. The first part of the link you posted, down to ".html" is enough to load the page. The rest is information on how you found the page, and possibly other personal info that you don't need to share. You can edit your post; tap the gear icon.

• edited March 8

@andowrites

According to this German review it can be powered from a Camera Connection kit connected to an iDevice with the bundled USB-C to USB-A cable, so it should work without problems directly connected via USB-C.

You'll need a Mac or PC for the editor software though if you want to reconfigure the Midi channels, other than that it's plug & play. If I'm going to add a controller to my setup I'll also get the ESI.

I also thaught about the M-Wave mentioned by @steve99 but I try to avoid Chinese brands if possible. With the M-wave it's obvious that they have learned a thing or two from factory lines of other brands and are repurposing their production knowhow, and can so undercut western brands in price because they don't have R&D costs.

If we don't boycot them, even if it's about our hobbies then our societies will go to complete shit. Be the change you want to see in the world..

• @uncledave said:
    @steve99 . Just a suggestion. The first part of the link you posted, down to ".html" is enough to load the page. The rest is information on how you found the page, and possibly other personal info that you don't need to share. You can edit your post; tap the gear icon.

👍

• edited March 8

@kirmesteggno said:
    I also thaught about the M-Wave mentioned by @steve99 but I try to avoid Chinese brands if possible. With the M-wave it's obvious that they have learned a thing or two from factory lines of other brands and are repurposing their production knowhow, and can so undercut western brands in price because they don't have R&D costs.

If we don't boycot them, even if it's about our hobbies then our societies will go to complete shit. Be the change you want to see in the world..

I think that’s a bit narrow minded and possibly xenophobic. M-VAVE have innovated in offering products that are leading the field in terms of the combination of features. Yes, each of those individual features may already exist elsewhere, but in putting them together they are setting the pace. I don’t see a direct comparison where you can say they are ripping anyone off? Many companies make fader/knobs/keys/pad controllers, each offers something different to the end user. The SMC-Pad has hit the sweet spot for my own particular needs (specifically Grooverider GR-16 and Loopy Pro with MIDI over Bluetooth).

The M-VAVE devices are very well made. From a sustainability point of view I would look to avoid cheap shit that’s not going to last, but these seem very robust and thoughtfully designed.

If you want to boycott particular products on unqualified ethical grounds, then I would suggest there are plenty of other potential candidates among western brands who exert a more pernicious influence on society.

• @steve99 said:
    I think that’s a bit narrow minded and possibly xenophobic.

I'm only against their current political system and cheating busienss methods, not against their culture and traditions as a people. I love Taiwan.

M-VAVE have innovated in offering products that are leading the field in terms of the combination of features. Yes, each of those individual features may already exist elsewhere, but in putting them together they are setting the pace. I don’t see a direct comparison where you can say they are ripping anyone off? Many companies make fader/knobs/keys/pad controllers, each offers something different to the end user. The SMC-Pad has hit the sweet spot for my own particular needs (specifically Grooverider GR-16 and Loopy Pro with MIDI over Bluetooth).

The M-Wave stuff is copying Arturias look & feel.

The M-VAVE devices are very well made. From a sustainability point of view I would look to avoid cheap shit that’s not going to last, but these seem very robust and thoughtfully designed.

Arturias stuff is also very well made in their price range. Calibrating the right materials and quality control isn't easy and requires a lot of testing. That's the question, did M-Wave do their own R&D (research and development)? I doubt it, and there are many examples like that in other areas where Chinese brands just piggyback on R&D done in the West.

If you want to boycott particular products on unqualified ethical grounds, then I would suggest there are plenty of other potential candidates among western brands who exert a more pernicious influence on society.

The good old whataboutism. Chinese brands in your own hobby space are low hanging fruit, avoiding things manufactured there in general is much harder.

• @steve99 said:

@kirmesteggno said:

I think that’s a bit narrow minded and possibly xenophobic. M-VAVE have innovated in offering products that are leading the field in terms of the combination of features. Yes, each of those individual features may already exist elsewhere, but in putting them together they are setting the pace. I don’t see a direct comparison where you can say they are ripping anyone off? Many companies make fader/knobs/keys/pad controllers, each offers something different to the end user. The SMC-Pad has hit the sweet spot for my own particular needs (specifically Grooverider GR-16 and Loopy Pro with MIDI over Bluetooth).

100%