Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Can Loopy Pro do this?

edited March 2 in Loopy Pro

I used my Loopy Pro trial a long time ago so I don't have a way of testing this before I buy, but I have an odd song that has 7 and 14 bar phrases with a 3/4 time signature. Is it possible to set up the loops to be 7 or 14 bars in advance? I would like to set up a live loop template where the loops auto start playing after recording a set number of bars, in this case an odd number of 7 or 14 which is a problem in Ableton for instance, so not sure if it is here as well?

Also for recording midi, will I still need a sperate midi editor? (I am a noob when it comes to Loopy Pro, but I remember this being a limitation before). If so, which one is the most recommended?

Thank you for your help.

Comments

• @bluegroove said:
    I used my Loopy Pro trial a long time ago so I don't have a way of testing this before I buy, but I have an odd song that has 7 and 14 bar phrases with a 3/4 time signature. Is it possible to set up the loops to be 7 or 14 bars in advance? I would like to set up a live loop template where the loops auto start playing after recording a set number of bars, in this case an odd number of 7 or 14 which is a problem in Ableton for instance, so not sure if it is here as well?

Also for recording midi, will I still need a sperate midi editor? (I am a noob when it comes to Loopy Pro, but I remember this being a limitation before). If so, which one is the most recommended?

Thank you for your help.

Yes, you can set up loop lengths in advance. Loopy doesn't yet have native midi recording. There are several midi recording AUv3 all of which have their fans. I don't think there is a consensus choice.

• edited March 2

@espiegel123 said:

@bluegroove said:

Thank you for your help.

Yes, you can set up loop lengths in advance. Loopy doesn't yet have native midi recording. There are several midi recording AUv3 all of which have their fans. I don't think there is a consensus choice.

Awesome, and odd bar lengths aren't an issue? The plugin I use for looping in Ableton only allows bars of 4, 8, 16 etc. so that's why I ask. Logic allows for odd cell lengths, but I find Logic's Live Loop controls to be kind of clunky and would like to switch to Loopy Pro.

Also can I set the loops to auto play after recording the set number of bars? I don't have use of my feet and therefore can't use a pedal and need a hands free way to auto trigger the loops.

Thank you very much for helping.

• @bluegroove said:

@espiegel123 said:

@bluegroove said:

Thank you for your help.

Awesome, and odd bar lengths aren't an issue? The plugin I use for looping in Ableton only allows bars of 4, 8, 16 etc. so that's why I ask. Logic allows for odd cell lengths, but I find Logic's Live Loop controls to be kind of clunky and would like to switch to Loopy Pro.

Also can I set the loops to auto play after recording?

In Ableton , you can record in any clip length of your desire.

• @bluegroove said:

Yes.

• edited March 3

@Antos3345 said:

@bluegroove said:

@espiegel123 said:

@bluegroove said:

Thank you for your help.

In Ableton , you can record in any clip length of your desire.

Yes, but I don't have a Push so I have to use a Max for Live device that lets me set a fixed clip length when recording with my Novation midi controller. Creating clips in advance doesn't work with my controller, and the Max for Live device only works in bars of 1-8, 16 & 32

• @bluegroove said:

@espiegel123 said:

@bluegroove said:

Thank you for your help.

Also can I set the loops to auto play after recording the set number of bars? I don't have use of my feet and therefore can't use a pedal and need a hands free way to auto trigger the loops.

Odd bar lengths aren't an issue.

• edited March 2

@wim said:

@bluegroove said:

Yes.

@espiegel123 said:

@bluegroove said:

@espiegel123 said:

@bluegroove said:

Thank you for your help.

@wim said:

@bluegroove said:

Yes.

Thank you both.

Can I ask which midi recorder you personally use?

• wimwim
    edited March 2

I like to use Drambo for midi duties in Loopy Pro. I find it the smoothest to work with for my style.

I have to say though that I have a lot more fun and usually get better results when I ditch midi as much as possible and just commit to audio and move on. I mostly try to limit midi to things like high hat lines I wouldn’t be very good at playing in myself.

• wimwim
    edited March 2

EG Nodes is fun for generating ideas too.

• @bluegroove said:

@wim said:

@bluegroove said:

Yes.

@espiegel123 said:

@bluegroove said:

@espiegel123 said:

@bluegroove said:

Thank you for your help.

@wim said:

@bluegroove said:

Yes.

Thank you both.

Drambo, midi tape recorder, atom 2, lk. It depends on what I am after.

• @espiegel123 said:

@bluegroove said:

@espiegel123 said:

@bluegroove said:

Thank you for your help.

A question also arose. I set up LoopyPro, reset everything to the initial settings. I record from the microphone via unset and everything is fine. As soon as the tempo is determined, unset stops working. Everything goes to 1 bar. Why? Do I need to turn something on or off? I return to this question periodically, but have not yet found an answer.

• @solncekreeze said:

@espiegel123 said:

@bluegroove said:

@espiegel123 said:

@bluegroove said:

Thank you for your help.

A question also arose. I set up LoopyPro, reset everything to the initial settings. I record from the microphone via unset and everything is fine. As soon as the tempo is determined, unset stops working. Everything goes to 1 bar. Why? Do I need to turn something on or off? I return to this question periodically, but have not yet found an answer.

Please post screenshots of your settings and describe exactly the sequence of events. You probably need to change your settings but we don't have enough information to know what your settings are and what you are trying to do.

A demonstration of the issue would also help ...and make sure to show all settings slowly and describe whatever actions you are taking that aren't visible on the screen...show everything more slowly than you think is needed.

I am not sure what you mean by "via unset"

• @wim said:
    I like to use Drambo for midi duties in Loopy Pro. I find it the smoothest to work with for my style.

I have to say though that I have a lot more fun and usually get better results when I ditch midi as much as possible and just commit to audio and move on. I mostly try to limit midi to things like high hat lines I wouldn’t be very good at playing in myself.

@wim said:
    EG Nodes is fun for generating ideas too.

@espiegel123 said:

@bluegroove said:

@wim said:

@bluegroove said:

Yes.

@espiegel123 said:

@bluegroove said:

@espiegel123 said:

@bluegroove said:

Thank you for your help.

@wim said:

@bluegroove said:

Yes.

Thank you both.

Drambo, midi tape recorder, atom 2, lk. It depends on what I am after.

Thank you both, kindly. Cheers.

• edited March 2

@espiegel123 said:

@solncekreeze said:

@espiegel123 said:

@bluegroove said:

@espiegel123 said:

@bluegroove said:

Thank you for your help.

Please post screenshots of your settings and describe exactly the sequence of events. You probably need to change your settings but we don't have enough information to know what your settings are and what you are trying to do.

A demonstration of the issue would also help ...and make sure to show all settings slowly and describe whatever actions you are taking that aren't visible on the screen...show everything more slowly than you think is needed.

Unset in the loop length settings. It turns out that it is recorded without restrictions until the tempo is determined. That is, as soon as the tempo after recording the first loop is set, then all the others are recorded in the same way.

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/xudh70kecsvs7hlzud3qr/RPReplay_Final1709400678.mov?rlkey=p0rlql43ypl7m7l45bhahgkur&dl=0

• OP is asking about bar lengths with 3/4 timing. Does Loopy Pro recognize 3/4 timing in the bar length? I thought it was 4/4 timing only. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

• @tubespace said:
    OP is asking about bar lengths with 3/4 timing. Does Loopy Pro recognize 3/4 timing in the bar length? I thought it was 4/4 timing only. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Loopy has mean meter choices. Not just 4/4 and 3/4

• @solncekreeze said:

@espiegel123 said:

@solncekreeze said:

@espiegel123 said:

@bluegroove said:

@espiegel123 said:

@bluegroove said:

Thank you for your help.

Unset in the loop length settings. It turns out that it is recorded without restrictions until the tempo is determined. That is, as soon as the tempo after recording the first loop is set, then all the others are recorded in the same way.

I think it can't be changed. Only set the length manually (1/2/4 bars and so on).

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/xudh70kecsvs7hlzud3qr/RPReplay_Final1709400678.mov?rlkey=p0rlql43ypl7m7l45bhahgkur&dl=0

Since you have master cycle count-in/count-out and auto count-out is on, all you have to do is change the master cycle length in the clock settings popup.