Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Looking for a new step sequencer

Hi guys,
Just wanted some help deciding on a new step sequencer. Currently I use LK but am wondering if I should test something new and I am between Cykle and Fugue machine. Any advise?

Thanks!!

Comments

• @cokomairena said:
    Drambo!

I thought you would say that. Thanks! Haha

• Step Sequencer?

There is only one:

Quantum Sequencer
    https://apps.apple.com/app/quantum-sequencer/id1207932898

Yes, most probably Drambo can do this too, or similar 😅

• I like the MidiDREAMs / MidiDRUMS suite for a little bit of a different flavor.

• GR16…

There was this one that was made first for ableton live the name escapes me now…

• fugue machine has been my go to for so long now. the transpose buttons on the side and the multiple playheads make it so playable. its so frekkin fun. doesnt feel like you are just pressing play and letting it run but feels like you have more control on the fly.

also looking for any other sequencers that give people this feeling…

• These are some of my faves along with what’s been already mentioned,
    in no particular order…
    Rozeta Suite
    Mozaic has lots of nice scripts
    Thesys
    Euclidean / Progressions
    ZOA/OODA
    TATAT

• Thank you all!!

• mKer is really nice, only iPad

• edited February 22

As a short sighted, live jamming, Berlin School loving synthesist, who enjoys noodling with both hardware and software, I do like MidiDreams: Very close to the classic analogue sequencers, eye friendly UI with large sliders, and a lot of interesting features like the ability to clock it with notes instead of host synchronisation.
    Otherwise Mozaic scripts.

• @drewhino said:
    fugue machine has been my go to for so long now. the transpose buttons on the side and the multiple playheads make it so playable. its so frekkin fun. doesnt feel like you are just pressing play and letting it run but feels like you have more control on the fly.

also looking for any other sequencers that give people this feeling…

Strokes feels like that to me. Quite a steep learning curve though

• Does iPad Logic Pro have the step seq? I don't have it, but I use it a lot on macOS Logic Pro and it’s really good

• @catherder said:
    Otherwise Mozaic scripts.

We need ports of Sonic Pi and Orca for iOS. 😉

• How could I forget good ol' StepBud??
    There are just too many great choices to keep track of. 😉

• Thanks to all y’all again. I am actually quite shocked I haven’t heard much about Cykle. It appeared to be a big contender for things similar so Fugue machine.

• @szczyp said:
    mKer is really nice, only iPad

A big ol’ foam finger +1 for mKer … don’t sleep on this one ..

• @magnusovi I'm surprised nobody recommended the various @cem_olcay Bud apps. (Okay, @wim mentioned StepBud).

Ioniarics if you really want to dive into some really fun experimental shit.

• @wim said:
    How could I forget good ol' StepBud??

Yes, I still love Stepbud, still waiting for @cem_olcay to fix some serious and acknowledged audio issues that arise while changing settings on the fly though!

• edited February 23

check out WoodStepper : can send up to 4 midi commands per step.
    and also the built-in sequencer in WoodSynth :
    Woodman

• @u0421793 said:
    Does iPad Logic Pro have the step seq? I don't have it, but I use it a lot on macOS Logic Pro and it’s really good

Yes

• @Gavinski said:

@wim said:

Yes, I still love Stepbud, still waiting for @cem_olcay to fix some serious and acknowledged audio issues that arise while changing settings on the fly though!

I like @cem_olcays sequencers (step bud, poly bud), and the whole idea of centralised scale switching. What I find difficult, is the whole subject of enabling/disabling steps. I wish these apps would have dedicated buttons for gate on/off and skipping steps directly under the sliders, similar to what you find on many hardware analog sequencers.

• @catherder said:

@Gavinski said:

@wim said:

I like @cem_olcays sequencers (step bud, poly bud), and the whole idea of centralised scale switching. What I find difficult, is the whole subject of enabling/disabling steps. I wish these apps would have dedicated buttons for gate on/off and skipping steps directly under the sliders, similar to what you find on many hardware analog sequencers.

Yeah, there is a lot of room to optimize those apps for easier access to parameters that are useful when performing live. You currently generally have to turn the probability sliders down to zero to turn off a step, but that is more time consuming than it would be to simply toggle something on / off in the main UI - just directly under the sliders, as you suggest, would be ideal.

• @magnusovi said:
    Hi guys,
    Just wanted some help deciding on a new step sequencer. Currently I use LK but am wondering if I should test something new and I am between Cykle and Fugue machine. Any advise?

Thanks!!

Worth a look is also MIDIsteps: https://apps.apple.com/app/id1001532047

It has a straight forward approach, runs stand alone and as AUV3. Neither too complex nor too simple.

• @catherder : in both WoodStepper and WoodSynth you can simply click on the step led to disable/enable the step

• @catherder said:

@Gavinski said:

@wim said:

On StepBud and ArpBud, you can toggle the steps by tapping their numbers on the top.

• Mididreams has been my preferred sequencer in AUM for a long time now. It’s very familiar from the perspective of an old modular user, and I’ve been able to set up all kinds of systems with it.

Nodes, though, is quickly becoming the go-to. It fills exactly the niche I was hoping LK would, and better. If you’re not using it, I can strongly recommend it.

And Mididreams.

• @magnusovi said:
    Thanks to all y’all again. I am actually quite shocked I haven’t heard much about Cykle. It appeared to be a big contender for things similar so Fugue machine.

Thanks for reminding me about Cykle which I bought but barely used. It took just a few seconds to get something interesting going.

• edited February 23

@cem_olcay said:

@catherder said:

@Gavinski said:

@wim said:

On StepBud and ArpBud, you can toggle the steps by tapping their numbers on the top.

I am aware of this feature but I find it very difficult for live playing:

• There is an awkward delay between tapping on the step number and the change becoming visible in the gui. This has often made me tap twice by accident, with my intended change reversed, or the double tap step option window opened in the end.
    • in both buds the buttons are too close together (for my fingers). In the standard 8 step default configuration the right half of the UI is empty. I would prefer wider sliders to blank UI space.
    • in general I do prefer control buttons below sliders - specially on touch screens. This avoids changing the sliders by accident when you want to touch a button but touch the slider area with another finger.
  • @magnusovi : still trying to convince you of the WoodSynth sequencer features :-) I made a short 2' vid showing its features :