Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Jazz or…not?

You tell me.

Comments

• Jazz. The kind that doesn’t smell funny.

• Closer to musique concrete IMHO. Which in the end is quite close to jazz.

• Not jazz. Doesn’t swing. An essential component of jazz. Maybe it’s just my opinion but I don’t think so. It might be improvised. Don’t know about that,

• @LinearLineman said:
    Not jazz. Doesn’t swing. An essential component of jazz. Maybe it’s just my opinion but I don’t think so. It might be improvised. Don’t know about that,

“It don’t mean a thing if it ain’t got that swing”

I think that’s almost always true, but there are examples of that not being the case, particularly in avant garde jazz. I kind of think this is maybe in the ball park, or perhaps just outside the fence.

• @michael_m these are my own personal feelings and thoughts, but I feel jazz and improvisation are too easily conflated. Chopin improvised but he wasn’t a jazz musician. Free form improvisation was brought forth by several, notably Lennie Tristano. I think folks want a definition of jazz that separates it from being defined as just free improv. That difference is that it swings. If avant- garde jazz is jazz why do have to call it Asante garde? Just call it jazz…. My thought is…. Because it isn’t. It’s not bad or good but calling it jazz, especially because it doesn’t swing is like saying music is Avant garde samba, only just missing the samba beat. It doesn’t make sense… like saying a car only has two wheels. Cause then it’s a motorcycle… or a Segway… or a chariot…. But not a car

• Sounds like a random algorithmic composition. I bet it is 😉

• edited January 3

Sounds like the jazz my brain would come up with in a nightmare. I dig it :)

• @michael_m said:
    Jazz. The kind that doesn’t smell funny.

LOL! :p B)

• @LinearLineman said:
    @michael_m these are my own personal feelings and thoughts, but I feel jazz and improvisation are too easily conflated. Chopin improvised but he wasn’t a jazz musician. Free form improvisation was brought forth by several, notably Lennie Tristano. I think folks want a definition of jazz that separates it from being defined as just free improv. That difference is that it swings. If avant- garde jazz is jazz why do have to call it Asante garde? Just call it jazz…. My thought is…. Because it isn’t. It’s not bad or good but calling it jazz, especially because it doesn’t swing is like saying music is Avant garde samba, only just missing the samba beat. It doesn’t make sense… like saying a car only has two wheels. Cause then it’s a motorcycle… or a Segway… or a chariot…. But not a car

When you think about it, all music is improvised... at least for the first few minutes.

This got me thinking about the great Steve Allen. He would invite 5-6 audience members up on stage. They would introduce themselves and chit chat a bit. Then Steve would ask each of them to pick a random key on the piano. He would then sit down at the piano and instantly improvise/compose a song using only those keys for the melody. If that wasn't enough, then he would make up a funny joke about it! Steve Allen was truly one of the great ones!

• @Paulieworld Beethoven did the same thing and Steve was incredibly talented. Gravy Waltz!

• @LinearLineman said:
    @michael_m these are my own personal feelings and thoughts, but I feel jazz and improvisation are too easily conflated. Chopin improvised but he wasn’t a jazz musician. Free form improvisation was brought forth by several, notably Lennie Tristano. I think folks want a definition of jazz that separates it from being defined as just free improv. That difference is that it swings. If avant- garde jazz is jazz why do have to call it Asante garde? Just call it jazz…. My thought is…. Because it isn’t. It’s not bad or good but calling it jazz, especially because it doesn’t swing is like saying music is Avant garde samba, only just missing the samba beat. It doesn’t make sense… like saying a car only has two wheels. Cause then it’s a motorcycle… or a Segway… or a chariot…. But not a car

I do get where you’re coming from, and from the perspective of jazz as it has mostly been performed for the last 100 years I think it fails. However, I do think there are some forms of jazz that fall outside of that - people like John Zorn (especially with Naked City) and Peter Brötzmann are the type of musician I am thinking of.

Probably at the end of the day what matters to most people is where it is placed in a real or virtual record store, but the reality is that it may have failed at the most basic level to satisfy the traditional requirements to be jazz.

Potato/potatah.

• @michael_m i’ve been thinking further. You can say Latin Jazz, Jazz Fusion,so it’s not all descriptors. It’s a avant-garde which fails the taste test for me.

• @LinearLineman said:
    @michael_m i’ve been thinking further. You can say Latin Jazz, Jazz Fusion,so it’s not all descriptors. It’s a avant-garde which fails the taste test for me.

Quite honestly it seems a long way from most jazz to me too. I can see why it gets described as jazz, as it’s sometimes underpinned by similar harmonic structures, but it rarely follows any recognizable patterns seen in jazz. Maybe it’s just that no one knows another word for it?

• @LinearLineman said:
    @Paulieworld Beethoven did the same thing and Steve was incredibly talented. Gravy Waltz!

I wasn’t familiar with that one. Just listened to a couple arrangements, one by Oscar Peterson and one by Quincy Jones. I like Quincy Jones the best!