Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Folding 49-key MIDI Controller ("Carry-On Folding Controller 49")

edited January 2 in Hardware

I really like my Xkey Air 37, but was looking for other options and came across this:
https://carryonplaying.com/product/carry-on-folding-controller/

• Like the Xkey Air, it pairs with my iPad via low-latency Bluetooth and has a built-in rechargeable battery
  • It has standard width keys, but they are shorter than normal
    *The travel distance is less than normal too, but much more than an Xkey
  • There are 4 built-in velocity curves plus a fifth option for a custom velocity curve
  • The keys are synth action, but I find them much more expressive and easier to control compared to the Xkey (e.g., when playing an acoustic piano)
  • The Xkey supports channel pressure and polyphonic aftertouch but the Carry-On does not support either
  • It has touch-strips for pitch bend and mod (they can be converted to an X/Y pad)
  • It has 2 knobs that can be assigned to any CC (via Windows / Mac software - no iPad app that I can find)
  • The 3 DAW transport buttons can be assigned to MIDI CC buttons too (momentary or toggle)
  • It doesn't lock open so you have to use it on a flat surface (e.g. on a desk or on a piece of wood on a keyboard stand).
  • I haven't tried it yet, but there is a built-in arpeggiator
  • Folded, it is small enough to fit in a backpack
  • I am located in the US but had to order it from Amazon UK
  • It is much less expensive than the Xkey Air 37 (approximately 60% cheaper, even after paying for international shipping)
  • Warning: do not purchase the "folding piano" from this company - I think it only has fixed velocity

Let me know if you have any questions. I think this thing is an incredible bargain and really useful.

Comments

• heshes
    edited January 2

Many times more expensive than the CarryOn keyboard, and I'm sure appealing to different users, but I recently ran across a demo of another folding piano, which has 49-key, 73-key, and 88-key options:

• @hes said:
    Many times more expensive than the CarryOn keyboard, and I'm sure appealing to different users, but I recently ran across a demo of another folding piano, which has 49-key, 73-key, and 88-key options:

Technically, this option isn't folding; it can be divided into multiple sections. VERY expensive for a "spring-action" keyboard, but looks like a higher-end product too, compared to the one I bought. It has a built-in sound engine (16 MB of sampled sounds). Donner also has a folding option that is bigger than what I purchased, but still small. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BBV48479/?coliid=IS4VOD2HSTYFY&colid=1NIVPYIK7FOPS&psc=1&ref_=list_c_wl_lv_ov_lig_dp_it

• I have both of those also. The black 'velocity sensitive' Carry-on was not available in the USA when I got mine. I've tried the white original (non -velocity sensitive) version and it was terrible (really bad). The black one is good though. Totally different devices. There's YT reviews that explain this, btw.

However, I can NOT get it to connect via bluetooth in Windows 11 with the usual midi: advanced/ Midiberry/LoopBe arrangement. The Xkey and a Korg connect fine with BT, but this doesn't. Any suggestion?

• @Nubus said:
    I have both of those also. The black 'velocity sensitive' Carry-on was not available in the USA when I got mine. I've tried the white original (non -velocity sensitive) version and it was terrible (really bad). The black one is good though. Totally different devices. There's YT reviews that explain this, btw.

However, I can NOT get it to connect via bluetooth in Windows 11 with the usual midi: advanced/ Midiberry/LoopBe arrangement. The Xkey and a Korg connect fine with BT, but this doesn't. Any suggestion?

Have you tried one of the external USB Bluetooth dongles? https://www.cme-pro.com/widi-bud-pro/