Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Looking for hardware ideas

A few years ago I pretty much gave up on my old ipad as it was all getting a bit frustrating with old hardware. I went off and did other hobbies instead.

Lately, I had that urge to dabble in music again, so bought an SP404mk2, Circuit Rhythm and a Minilogue XD. While saving up for something to tie them all together (MC707 or MPC etc), I noticed that the SP404mk2 UsbC could connect direct to one of the new iPads, so eventually gave in and bought a new iPad Air 5.

After a few years away from ios music making I was surprised how the apps seem to have matured. Music making on ios seems so much smoother than a few years ago.

Anyway, to the point. I find I no longer use the Circuit Rhythm for beats as my vast range of iPad apps do it so much better!

Any polite suggestions how I could use it in other ways, or replace it with another device that would fit, as my space is very limited as you can see.

Comments

• I can see plenty of space there….
    Who uses CDs these days :wink:

• @BiancaNeve said:
    I can see plenty of space there….
    Who uses CDs these days :wink:

Yep, but I don't want to move the speakers, as my wife sometimes uses the space to the left.

O, I love physical media. The house is full with actual books, CDs, DVDs, games, toys and of course fishing tackle! B)

• edited December 2023

Asking this kind of question can be dangerous 😉
    After buying and selling a bunch of hardware devices too, I can only recommend to work with your current setup as long as possible and never buy anything that looks exciting but only stuff that you're really missing in your workflow.
    An SP-404 and a Minilogue XD is already a very powerful combo.
    Have you tried some of the fantastic 3rd party oscillators yet?

• @rs2000 said:
    Asking this kind of question can be dangerous 😉
    After buying and selling a bunch of hardware devices too, I can only recommend to work with your current setup as long as possible and never buy anything that looks exciting but only stuff that you're really missing in your workflow.
    An SP-404 and a Minilogue XD is already a very powerful combo.
    Habe you tried some of the fantastic 3rd party oscillators yet?

If I had lots of room and even more money, now that would be dangerous! Lol.
    I think it's my OCD playing up. I can't stand seeing that space wasted, or at least not filled with buttons I occasionally press during playing. If the SP404 had two UsbC ports for two ipads, now that would be great!

Nope, I've not expanded the digital osc section yet. I got side tracked buying around 80 new ipad apps in the sales (hangs head in shame).

• Good point. A small MIDI controller with not too many controls (to keep it fun) like the Akai MPK Mini mk3 could make the iPad apps more accessible, at least the ones that support incremental knob controller messages for smooth value changes without jumps.

• @rs2000 said:
    Good point. A small MIDI controller with not too many controls (to keep it fun) like the Akai MPK Mini mk3 could make the iPad apps more accessible, at least the ones that support incremental knob controller messages for smooth value changes without jumps.

That's an idea. I suppose I would need some kind of midi merger to get more than one set of midi through the SP404 into the iPad?

I did consider saving for a Yamaha YC61 as it has midi and audio through the USB cable for an ipad and you can then layer with the onboard sounds, but that would mean moving the XD onto some wall brackets to the right and not sure how much the wife will let me mess with the living room aesthetics lol.

Yeah, some form of midi control is probably the best or most sensible plan.

• I'd connect the SP404 and Minilogue MIDI ports to the iPad via Bluetooth MIDI dongles. I'm using them a lot here, works well.
    Before buying any other interfaces, would you want the SP404 and Minilogue audio routed into the iPad?
    And would you want to sequence on the SP404 or on the iPad?

• edited December 2023

@rs2000 said:
    I'd connect the SP404 and Minilogue MIDI ports to the iPad via Bluetooth MIDI dongles. I'm using them a lot here, works well.
    Before buying any other interfaces, would you want the SP404 and Minilogue audio routed into the iPad?

I've never used Bluetooth MIDI dongles. Could you recommend any particular makes?

It's all a work in progress really. Not really sure what my routings should be, as the iPad was initially not in the plan. In fact my initial plan started many years ago and I just got analysis paralysis. Eventually I just bought some gear I liked at the time to actually get something happening. The problem I have is watch as much as I can on gear, like something, then see something else.....and the cycle moves on....and on..... :p

• @Fruitbat1919 said:

@rs2000 said:
    I'd connect the SP404 and Minilogue MIDI ports to the iPad via Bluetooth MIDI dongles. I'm using them a lot here, works well.

I've never used Bluetooth MIDI dongles. Could you recommend any particular makes?

It's all a work in progress really. Not really sure what my routings should be, as the iPad was initially not in the plan. In fact my initial plan started many years ago and I just got analysis paralysis. Eventually I just bought some gear I liked at the time to actually get something happening. The problem I have is watch as much as I can on gear, like something, then see something else.....and the cycle moves on....and on..... :p

At the moment I'm writing backing tracks that are sequenced on the iPad and just using the hardware to play over them. I do it this way, as I can write the repetitive bits while sitting on the sofa, just using the ipad.

• The Circuit Rhythm could be used to bring the SP404mk2 up to the same level as the Minilogue XD (As long as it doesn’t slide off)

• edited December 2023

try this:

Take your iPad and try make music ONLY with iPad .. try make at least 2-3 songs … observe WHAT you are missing, what HW can provide to you … it should give you answer about HWpart of your setup..

for example I have HW and SW part strictly split to two completely separate setups - either i use ONLY HW (digitakt, digitone, circuit tracks and now also Deluge) OR o i use ONLY Ipad ..

For me somehow combining them together doesn’t work, i use VERY different approach on HW and on iPad

• @Fruitbat1919 Regarding BT MIDI dongles, there's not too much choice.
    I have good experiences with:

• Yamaha MD-BT01 (also works with the old, super tiny CME WidiBud 1 dongle that I'm using on my Windows tablet)
    • Quicco mi.1 (not produced anymore afaik)
    • CME Widi Master

@dendy Agreed 100%. I also prefer splitting them because recalling projects on hardware and iPad is usually a mess involving multiple steps that kill creativity.
    But combining them spontaneously can work, as long as there's an accessible centerpiece (sequencer, sampler, DAW).

• @dendy said:
    try this:

Take your iPad and try make music ONLY with iPad .. try make at least 2-3 songs … observe WHAT you are missing, what HW can provide to you … it should give you answer about HWpart of your setup..

for example I have HW and SW part strictly split to two completely separate setups - either i use ONLY HW (digitakt, digitone, circuit tracks and now also Deluge) OR o i use ONLY Ipad ..

For me somehow combining them together doesn’t work, i use VERY different approach on HW and on iPad

That's kinda why I'm picking people's brains to see what they do and use. I don't tend to make full songs on my iPad as I get bored easily. I make a few basic bits, bung them together as sections and use them as backing while I play over it with the hardware. But that's at this time. I may find other ways to have fun. Music making is just fun and happy accidents to me. I sometimes make something and am never able to make it again! I'm not very talented, so I use whatever hardware and software has that I can make my happy accidents.

I suppose even the looking for new buttons to press and new approaches is part of that fun.

• @dendy @rs2000

One idea I had to help me actual record some songs was:
    Buy a Mac and Logic. Make lots of sound and bits of music as I currently do. Record them all and make a pack of sounds to put into a logic session. Don't make anything more, just make a piece of music from the pack only. Separating it all from my iPad and hardware, would make sure I didn't get distracted. Well, it's an idea for the future anyhow....

• I have a Circuit (original, not tracks) and use it standalone to just play/jam and often come up with song ideas.

I then record the audio and/or midi into the DAW to turn into a full track.

As an interim stage if I’ve not fully worked out the arrangement structure (or decided if it’s worth working on further) I dump the audio into BlocsWave on my phone and recreate the Circuit session there which makes it easy to listen to it whenever I feel like it and jam out arrangement ideas on the fly.

Being portable and not having a screen, the Circuit is perfect for those times when I want to just play music with no ulterior motive without the distractions of a screen, which is particularly welcome when I’ve spent all day looking at screens and my eyes need a rest.

I don’t really use the circuit with my Mac or computer that much. Although sometimes I do like to use it instead of a MIDI keyboard for a change of scenery and to stop myself playing the same notes and phrases!

I don’t think I’d get the same out of the Circuit Rhythm as I’m personally more into synths and drum machines than samples most of the time so the OG or tracks suits me better.

So if I were you, before spending any more money, I’d see if I could use the Circuit on its own to come up with song ideas. Maybe use it with loops and samples you make with the iPad and see what you come up with just using the Circuit, away from the other gear — on the sofa with headphones for example.

Sometimes a change of scenery and changing up the way you make music is as useful as new gear.

So i would work out new ways to use what you have first and maybe use the circuit as an alternative keyboard and drum pad to play the iPad instruments.

• @klownshed said:
    I have a Circuit (original, not tracks) and use it standalone to just play/jam and often come up with song ideas.

I then record the audio and/or midi into the DAW to turn into a full track.

As an interim stage if I’ve not fully worked out the arrangement structure (or decided if it’s worth working on further) I dump the audio into BlocsWave on my phone and recreate the Circuit session there which makes it easy to listen to it whenever I feel like it and jam out arrangement ideas on the fly.

Being portable and not having a screen, the Circuit is perfect for those times when I want to just play music with no ulterior motive without the distractions of a screen, which is particularly welcome when I’ve spent all day looking at screens and my eyes need a rest.

I don’t really use the circuit with my Mac or computer that much. Although sometimes I do like to use it instead of a MIDI keyboard for a change of scenery and to stop myself playing the same notes and phrases!

I don’t think I’d get the same out of the Circuit Rhythm as I’m personally more into synths and drum machines than samples most of the time so the OG or tracks suits me better.

So if I were you, before spending any more money, I’d see if I could use the Circuit on its own to come up with song ideas. Maybe use it with loops and samples you make with the iPad and see what you come up with just using the Circuit, away from the other gear — on the sofa with headphones for example.

Sometimes a change of scenery and changing up the way you make music is as useful as new gear.

So i would work out new ways to use what you have first and maybe use the circuit as an alternative keyboard and drum pad to play the iPad instruments.

Yep, sound thinking. I would be silly anyway to sell the Rhythm. As you say, it's portability is probably its super power. We are getting an allotment this coming year, so I could use it there while my wife digs the veggie patches lol

• @Fruitbat1919 said:
    @dendy @rs2000

Buy a Mac and Logic. Make lots of sound and bits of music as I currently do. Record them all and make a pack of sounds to put into a logic session. Don't make anything more, just make a piece of music from the pack only. Separating it all from my iPad and hardware, would make sure I didn't get distracted. Well, it's an idea for the future anyhow....

I'd recommend this as well for bringing together workflows but desktop is its own rabbit hole of vsts etc though fun of course.

Keeping it minimal is actually key, which is funny after years of buying hardware. I mostly stick with software these days with occasional hardware dabbling.

• @auxmux said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:
    @dendy @rs2000

I'd recommend this as well for bringing together workflows but desktop is its own rabbit hole of vsts etc though fun of course.

Keeping it minimal is actually key, which is funny after years of buying hardware. I mostly stick with software these days with occasional hardware dabbling.

Yep, I was thinking strictly Logic Pro and no extras! Yeah yeah, I know all the best intentions haha

• I would spend the hours you need to work to make $$$ for another sampler on learning the 404 in and out. It's specs are more than good enough for being a centrepiece as long as you record in (and not program), which shouldn't be a problem with the ipad.

Sell the Rhythm and buy... a mic! Sampling things, be it a box of pebbles or your voice, modulating stuff. Only thing I see lacking from your setup. Get a cheap, dynamic one and you can't go wrong. The 404 has some cool input fx and anti-feedback mode, giving you something like a Vocal Transformer and lots of weird fun.

Another suggestion: make a final bunch of tracks with what you have now, with beats from the Circuit before letting it go. You don't need more hw.

Maybe a controller with faders and transport mapped to Cubasis or something to save money (and streamline) on your workflow? A mouse? Good chair?

• @tekk said:
    I would spend the hours you need to work to make $$$ for another sampler on learning the 404 in and out. It's specs are more than good enough for being a centrepiece as long as you record in (and not program), which shouldn't be a problem with the ipad.

Sell the Rhythm and buy... a mic! Sampling things, be it a box of pebbles or your voice, modulating stuff. Only thing I see lacking from your setup. Get a cheap, dynamic one and you can't go wrong. The 404 has some cool input fx and anti-feedback mode, giving you something like a Vocal Transformer and lots of weird fun.

Another suggestion: make a final bunch of tracks with what you have now, with beats from the Circuit before letting it go. You don't need more hw.

Maybe a controller with faders and transport mapped to Cubasis or something to save money (and streamline) on your workflow? A mouse? Good chair?

A mic has been on my desire list for over 20 years now. The last time I bought a mic was while I was still at school in the Eighties! Why I keep putting it off I don't know lol.

A decent chair is going to come out the house furniture budget in time!

Yep, some sort of midi device seems to be winning me over. Still not going to sell anything though. I sold my first home studio years ago when I hit hard times, never selling anything again unless it's for food.

• edited December 2023

My worflow with HW is like rhis:

• i prepate pattern with multiple tracks - drums, bass, synths, pad, melodies
    • i usually use one “central brain” - digitakt - and one or two more hw boxes to have more tracks (like digitone for pads, chords, maybe another external synth, or circuit tracks - my setup always changes)
    • whem i have prepared pattern, i just play it live, mute/unmute tracks, tweak params (usually just things like cutoff, lfo rate here and there, stuff like that) and record that improvised live jam (usually also with video - i just connect iPhone cis USB into Digitakt and that is it, dierectly record video with audio. )

This way i reduced things i don’t enjoy when you worl in traditiona DAW approach (like most of boring sound design stuff, mixing, arranging) and what remains is just fun, composing, cresting melodies, beat and then playing/jamming - having fun.

Btw. If you are thinking about MIDI controller - you already have one :-) Circuit is pretty good if used just as MIDI controller - pads are sending notes, every knob on every page sends own midi CC - som you can pretty much used it just like midi controller :)

• I can say that the forever classic SM57 works great with the mic input on a 404 at least - finding a mic that suits your room and voice can be challenging, so make sure you get a used that can be sold on or one that can be returned or exchanged. I suggest a dynamic mic because it's more compact and requires less gear; just the mic and cable. Compared to a membrane mic that needs a pop-filter, stand and room treatment.

Regarding "some sort of midi device" - couldn't you use the synth for that? If not, the M-Wave SMC Mixer is wireless, can be configured w/o computer and has transport controls for about 40 eur. Just read about it here earlier. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005006349467356.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.main.1.419d537d3bvKnw&algo_pvid=f5e6eac5-a5ae-4ee9-8ced-97c373f9123f&algo_exp_id=f5e6eac5-a5ae-4ee9-8ced-97c373f9123f-0&pdp_npi=4@dis!NOK!384.93!381.08!!!37.99!!@2101fb1917037978138785088ea058!12000036850168179!sea!NO!0!AB&curPageLogUid=4ORdPuOBav10

• If you are not into using the novation circuit rhythm as a midi controller or a drum machine…sell it or trade it get something wild and analog like a dreadbox typhon. The dreadbox typhon is one of the best things I’ve ever bought. You can route audio through its inputs to process through the extremely good effects. There is a sequencer with probability on board. The synth itself is BIG and Super in the low end. MUCH fatter than your analog poly that you have there in the Korg. I think the Typhon can be had for under 450.00 usd. This is what I would do…your opinion can vary. You have to be careful how you speak in this forum if you want to avoid conflict lbvs.

• edited December 2023

I mean honestly between the XD, 404, and iPad you’re basically covered and have access to almost any possible sound or synthesis type you could imagine. I would recommend working with that until you hit a wall and and see why you actually need/don’t need.

Also you could potentially replace it with a Launchpad and use that to launch clips in either the Launchpad app, or something like GB/Logic, Koala, etc. It would give you a similar playing surface and add some extra functionality.

I’m buying a 404 in a couple weeks to pair with my iPad and those 2 + my Minilab3 is all I feel I need right now because the iPad is just so powerful now when it comes to synths, drum machines, effects, etc.

• @rs2000 “ Asking this kind of question can be dangerous 😉”

Very true.
    Two years ago I was only using two ipads and some external processors.
    Now?
    My music table is adorned with mini synths, a couple of drum machines, semi modular synths
    and eurorack modules all controlled by dRambo either using midi or CV.
    Shaking my head….🤩

• I’d say avoid buying new equipment unless you really want something that brings you joy, and only if you have the money to splurge on your hobby.

But really, all you need is:

1 iPad, 1 Drambo, 1 beer.

That’ll make you bad to the bone! 😉

• Thank you for all the polite suggestions and comments. Lots to think on :)

• @HotStrange said:
    I mean honestly between the XD, 404, and iPad you’re basically covered and have access to almost any possible sound or synthesis type you could imagine. I would recommend working with that until you hit a wall and and see why you actually need/don’t need.

Also you could potentially replace it with a Launchpad and use that to launch clips in either the Launchpad app, or something like GB/Logic, Koala, etc. It would give you a similar playing surface and add some extra functionality.

I’m buying a 404 in a couple weeks to pair with my iPad and those 2 + my Minilab3 is all I feel I need right now because the iPad is just so powerful now when it comes to synths, drum machines, effects, etc.

Ive only just realised that the 404 can be powered from the ipad, so im using them separately as sofa buddies now! really quite a fun combo :)